Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fatoomchk

Sep 25, 2007, 9:13 AM
Post #26 of 34 (538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climber9801] Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climber9801 wrote:
Macpac makes a couple of great tents that are similar in design but much cheaper. Check out the Olimpus and the Minaret.

I've had a macpac minaret for almost 10 years. I love it. couln't recommend it enough. IF you want something a bit bigger then get the Olympus. (or, as the guy in the shop put it "this one's big enough for doggy")

but the fundamental question is do you want a self supporting tent or not?

qwert

Sep 25, 2007, 9:16 AM
Post #27 of 34 (537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegasguy] Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i also dont understand why almost all american tents are "inner tent first" designs. The outer first approach works perfect, even with geodesic designs, not just tunnels.

I havent tried tunnel tents, but hilleberg advertieses quite a few of their tents as winter tents, so that shouldnt be a problem.
however if you want to set it up on rock, or other places where it wouldbe hard to stake it out, it will become problematic. but apart from high alpine situations, or a few special cases (those big granit slabs in yosemite?) you should be able to find a spot where you can put in a few stakes.

Im also searching for atent at the moment, with similar requirements. the BD lighthouse looks nice, but is unclear to me how robust this thing is, and hillebergs are to expensive.
what i have found are tatonka tents. are they available in the US? thei have a quite similar design then the hillebergs, but are cheaper, but the build quality ist still looking very good, but unfortunately they are heavy (no silnylon, just PU) and only available with a greenish-grey interiour, wich makes for a very uncorfortabel feeling interiour, even though you have enough space.

Could somebody explain me what the benefit of this inner first stuff is? i dont get it, but im afraid i will end up with such a tent. for example the marmot nyx does look quite good.

qwert

(This post was edited by qwert on Sep 25, 2007, 10:20 AM)

Alpine07

Sep 26, 2007, 2:29 AM
Post #28 of 34 (502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alright, i'll admit it, that looks like a really nice tent, who is it made by? But im not sure if it "kicks the hubba's ass."

carabiner96

Sep 26, 2007, 2:49 AM
Post #29 of 34 (495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alpine07] Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpine07 wrote:
alright, i'll admit it, that looks like a really nice tent, who is it made by? But im not sure if it "kicks the hubba's ass."

If you're talking about me, that's the Losi by Nemo. I hd a hubba before it, and the Losi wins in livable area, structural strength, conveinence and durability. Nicer colors too...Hubba had a slightly faster set up, but i think the trade offs are wicked worth it.

Alpine07

Sep 26, 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #30 of 34 (459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yah, I was talking to you. Sounds like a sweet tent, I will have to check it out, tho the last thing I need is another tentSmile

mtnbob

Sep 27, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #31 of 34 (441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to put my vote in for the Black Diamond Skylight Single wall / Doublewall, huge for two, Bombproof. 4# $360 or so if you shop around

qwert

Sep 27, 2007, 8:03 AM
Post #32 of 34 (435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnbob] Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mtnbob wrote:
I have to put my vote in for the Black Diamond Skylight Single wall / Doublewall, huge for two, Bombproof. 4# $360 or so if you shop around
care to elaborate "bombproof"?
somehow it doesnt look to bomber, with the thin material.

yesterday i was shoppig around, and had a look at two tents, the marmot nyx, and the hilleberg nallo.
the nyx is nice, very roomy for the weight, but seems like it only is good for nice weather. fly ends way above ground (so it will get windy inside) and it hasnt enough loops to properly stake it out, and not enough points to attach lines.
the hilleberg is awsome (though expensive). quite roomy, and a interesting ventilation system. only thing im worried about is how it handles wind from the side.

qwert

mtnbob

Sep 27, 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #33 of 34 (424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was concerned about three things when I was looking at the Skylight. First was condensation, since it is almost half singlewall, I'm near the Appalachians and do alot of camping in humid weather. The tent does as well as any of my doublewall tents. Next was, how waterproof? They don't sell it as waterproof. I've now been in a few downpours, and a hailstorm, and it has been tight(of course I had to seam seal it first). That being said, it would be the one tent I would leave behind if the forcast was for all day rainstorms, since I have heard that it will start weeping moisture after 4-5 staedy hours of rain. Then I was concerned how an ultralight tent would hold up to wind. I camped on top of a bald at 6000ft (Black Balsam)this summer and had 40-50 mile per hour winds. The tent was a rock, and the epic material is very quiet. I have spent the night at the same spot with 4 other tents (3 and 4 season) over the years, and it was the quietest and stood strong. Oh did I mention that the tent has tons of room for 2 big people(i'm 6'1" 290) and with the Fibraplex carbon fiber poles that I purchased, weighs 3 3/4 #. I haven't had a snow load yet, hopefully will this winter. The C/F poles are lifetime warranty and seem as stable as the Aluminum ones were.

elnero

Sep 27, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #34 of 34 (419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
the hilleberg is awsome (though expensive). quite roomy, and a interesting ventilation system. only thing im worried about is how it handles wind from the side.

qwert

As far as I know, the tunnel tents are supposed to be pitched perpindicular to the wind, so the long sides w/o doors are getting hit with wind. and again, from what I hear, they're supposed to hold up to bigger winds than freestanding tents. something like they flex and bounce back instead of snapping, but i think this is at retardo speed winds anwyay..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook