RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner hosh

Sep 29, 2007, 8:27 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Ice Axe question....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever posted to the ice forum, but I have a rather general question. I don't climb ice, nor do I ever really aspire to, but does anyone own the Petzl Aztarex? And if so, how does this axe perform on vertical ice?

hosh.

dcaldous

Sep 29, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Ice Axe question.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't climbed on the Aztarex but I have used a friends Aztars. They performed pretty well. I don't think I'd want to do much leashless climbing with just a pinky rest and no grip.

reno

Sep 29, 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:
So I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever posted to the ice forum, but I have a rather general question. I don't climb ice, nor do I ever really aspire to, but does anyone own the Petzl Aztarex? And if so, how does this axe perform on vertical ice?

Tried 'em. Hated 'em.

Knuckle bashers unless you pay close attention to your swinging motion.

stymingersfink

Sep 29, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:

hosh.
if you've no interest in climbing ice you must be looking to purchase someone a Christmas present? Perhaps your best bet would be to pick up a gift certificate, that way the recipient would be able to get exactly what they wanted. Smile

rocknice2

Sep 29, 2007, 9:38 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Petzl Aztarex is more a tool than an axe. It's too light and has no grip.
It's what you'd carry as an extra tool in case you drop one or for super light alpine acsent which has very little vertical climbing.

As for this axe being used on vertical ice, I would choose something else.

Partner hosh

Sep 29, 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Ice Axe question.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My intentions were to have a set of ice tools around for glacier crossings where there may be the ocasional vertical ice section. But I'm not looking to climb ice, per se.

hosh.

Partner angry

Sep 30, 2007, 3:02 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was rather comfortable with a 70cm mountain walking type "piolet" on all but the most technical sections of glacier.

You probably should get an axe and have a spare little tool. It will cover anything unless you go searching for more vertical stuff.

Partner hosh

Oct 2, 2007, 7:54 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Ice Axe question.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a BD Raven that I use on the glacier, but I was looking for a cheap set of decent tools that would get the job done on Glacial approaches. There's a lot more rock on the other side of the ice, unfortunately. I would rather the forest service put in a nice path, maybe one that you could ride a bike on. But I understand that this would be impossible on a moving glacier, for some reason or another. Thus, I'm stuck with the ice axe dilemma.

hosh.

stymingersfink

Oct 3, 2007, 2:17 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:
I've got a BD Raven that I use on the glacier, but I was looking for a cheap set of decent tools that would get the job done on Glacial approaches. There's a lot more rock on the other side of the ice, unfortunately. I would rather the forest service put in a nice path, maybe one that you could ride a bike on. But I understand that this would be impossible on a moving glacier, for some reason or another. Thus, I'm stuck with the ice axe dilemma.

hosh.

well then, go with the compromise that works passably well for both jobs... the BD Venom

edit to add: you'll need a pair to cover technical ice ground. get one of each, swap out the classic pick for the reverse-curve pick if you're planning on more ice than snow. OTOH, if you're not anticipating chopping many bivy ledges or steps, just get a pair of hammers with the Tech pick already installed. After all, the pick+hammer combo will chip ice away, just not as efficiently as an adze will.Wink

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Oct 3, 2007, 2:22 AM)

kane_schutzman

Oct 3, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Ice Axe question.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Camp Alpax, and a BD Viper. The Alpax is T-rated, and the pick is actually very sharp, looks llike it would be good on ice. I figure it is fine to use the Alpax on short vert ice(havent used it yet) but the combo is lighter then carring two specific ice tools+a mountaineering axe.

Partner hosh

Oct 11, 2007, 5:38 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Ice Axe question.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
well then, go with the compromise that works passably well for both jobs... the BD Venom

edit to add: you'll need a pair to cover technical ice ground. get one of each, swap out the classic pick for the reverse-curve pick if you're planning on more ice than snow. OTOH, if you're not anticipating chopping many bivy ledges or steps, just get a pair of hammers with the Tech pick already installed. After all, the pick+hammer combo will chip ice away, just not as efficiently as an adze will.Wink

Thanks for the input!

I'm pretty sure that I'm sold on the venom (that was actually another tool on my list of possibles)... My next question is can that thing be used with an android leash? That may be the make or break point for me...

hosh.

stymingersfink

Oct 11, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:

Thanks for the input!

I'm pretty sure that I'm sold on the venom (that was actually another tool on my list of possibles)... My next question is can that thing be used with an android leash? That may be the make or break point for me...

hosh.
I don't see why not. There are two versions of that leash... the Android leash (which should work on any BD tool, and many tools NOT made by BD provided they have a hole in the headLaugh) and the Viper Android (made specifically for the Viper... and perhaps the new Cobra too). Get the standard Android leash.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook