RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

qwert

Oct 2, 2007, 4:28 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2247 views)
Shortcut

MSR tents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok, another tent thread, i hope you forgive me.

I was looking at black diamond tents, but apart from the fact that their are very hard to get in germany, thei also seem not very solid, and condensation still seems to be quite an issue. then i had a look at the marmot nyx, a nice tent, but i dont think that this will take much bad weather. but the shop had also hilleberg tents. the nallo looks very nice, but is freaking expensive, and i dont know if i like my tent to withstand winds by bending down, instead of standing strong.

after searching around the intertubes, i found MSR tents, especially the Fusion and the fury look quite nice. not ultralight, but (marketed as) four seasons.
the price is also quite high, but still in the ok range. but how much room do they offer?
from the little information that is to be found on the MSR hompage, it looks like they are quite small, especially the fury, with its small door.
anybody knows how comfortable two persons fit into these things?

is the weight given on the msr hompeage really correct? if not (has naybody ever seen a gear manufacturer that gives a correct weight for a product?) how much more is it?

qwert

Uncia

Oct 2, 2007, 5:26 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out http://www.summitpost.org/. Take a look in the forums. As I recall, I have seen mixed reviews and a lot of returns on MSR tents.

petsfed

Oct 2, 2007, 6:16 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
ok, another tent thread, i hope you forgive me.

I was looking at black diamond tents, but apart from the fact that their are very hard to get in germany, thei also seem not very solid, and condensation still seems to be quite an issue. then i had a look at the marmot nyx, a nice tent, but i dont think that this will take much bad weather. but the shop had also hilleberg tents. the nallo looks very nice, but is freaking expensive, and i dont know if i like my tent to withstand winds by bending down, instead of standing strong.

after searching around the intertubes, i found MSR tents, especially the Fusion and the fury look quite nice. not ultralight, but (marketed as) four seasons.
the price is also quite high, but still in the ok range. but how much room do they offer?
from the little information that is to be found on the MSR hompage, it looks like they are quite small, especially the fury, with its small door.
anybody knows how comfortable two persons fit into these things?

is the weight given on the msr hompeage really correct? if not (has naybody ever seen a gear manufacturer that gives a correct weight for a product?) how much more is it?

qwert

The Fury and the Fusion are Moss designs. If you don't know what that means, I suggest you google that as well.

The Fury, to me, is the best 2-person double-walled four season tent on the market. By a long shot. Its light, its bombproof, and its still pretty comfortable. I would not want to wait out a storm in it, as it can be cozy with all of your winter gear stashed inside with you, but it would be an awesome tent for Mt. Rainier, or some fourteeners in winter. The weight is pretty close to accurate, and you can shave off ounces here and there if its a big concern for you. My only gripe is that when Moss made the Stardome2 (which is nearly identical to the Fury, although MSR modified it to suit their tastes) it had two doors, and was still lighter than the Fury is now.

The Fusion is a 3+ season tent. It is not expedition weight, and its really meant for fall and spring trips where you might get snowed on, as opposed to a full blown winter tent. Like I said, its another Moss design, but I don't recall the details on it.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Oct 2, 2007, 6:18 PM)

qwert

Oct 3, 2007, 8:41 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the replies so far.
i didnt know that summitpost site, thanks, there is some good information, although msr tents are mostly reduced to the hubba hubba (wich looks interesting, but defintely not for more than 1+ seasons use), but i keep on searching.

i have also "found out" that the msr tents are mostly moss or walrus designs (all where owned by rei, than put together, then sold to cascade designs... then outsourced to asia and so on, i have read ...), and that walrus, and especially moss had a very good reputation, and so i guess the respektive msr reincarnations of the tens should be quite ok, design wise (apart from that stupid inner tent first design).

In reply to:
I would not want to wait out a storm in it, as it can be cozy with all of your winter gear stashed inside with you
could you define cosy?
i would have thought i would leave everything that doesnt mind getting wet or frozen outside, and the packs in the vestibule, so that i dont have much inside (just two people and leaping bags, a few clothes, and stuff like headlamps).
does your sleeping bag touch the walls?

In reply to:
The weight is pretty close to accurate, and you can shave off ounces here and there if its a big concern for you
obviously if i want stability, it ads wheight, but its always about trade offs, especially if i dont plan on doing too extreme stuff, but even in "normal" situations i want at least some safety plus. carrying around a 5+ kg geodesic tent? most likely overkill. getting a 2kg ultralight? margin for error a bit to small.
so the 3+kg for those tents should be quite ok, but if i know that a trip will only be good weather and "safe" camps, i would be nice to be able to leave a bit at home.

but i definitely dont ever want my climbing tent to look like my festival tent:
a festival two years ago. my tent is the brown one. the wind also destroyed the main stage. for a festival i doesnt matter if the tent colapses, i have extra poles, and 100m of duckt tape and a car 15 minutes away from me, but in the mountains ...Unimpressed

qwert

(This post was edited by qwert on Oct 3, 2007, 8:41 AM)
Attachments: southside.JPG (71.8 KB)

petsfed

Oct 3, 2007, 4:13 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cozy means that if your tent mate has broad shoulders, you'll be rubbing against them while you sleep. The ceiling is also a little on the low side. I found it difficult to sit up straight in the Fury.

For the strength, and size, its about a pound (or half kilo, depending on who you ask) lighter than the next lightest offering.

You can opt to just bring the fly (as I recall, anyway) and use it as a groundless single wall tent if you want to go ultralight. That or drop the vestibule pole.

tallnik

Oct 3, 2007, 4:23 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the fusion, and that think is cozy for me and any partner. I'm 6'5 (2m for you euros) and 185 lbs (80kg). Waiting out weather in that thing with two people sucks. However, it's really bombproof in my opinion. Granted the Fury is even stronger... However, the Fury is wider, and more comfy for two in a storm. The fusion is lighter. When I can I bring my thermarest converter chair. Otherwise, I don't get enough room in the fusion. The fury I believe is a bit taller. However, where the fusion is easy to set up, the fury can be a pain in the ass.

Sorry if that's all over the place.
Nik

josephgdawson

Oct 3, 2007, 4:30 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Uncia] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uncia wrote:
Check out http://www.summitpost.org/. Take a look in the forums. As I recall, I have seen mixed reviews and a lot of returns on MSR tents.

While I cannot speak to the MSR tent models mentioned, the Hubba and the Hubba Hubba are outstanding tents. Nothing in the market I have seen touches them. But, the Hubba tents are 3 season tents. Also, these tents are fairly new models while the models mentioned are old.

It seems to me that they got a new designer in the last couple of years and they have yet to revamp their 4 season tents. I think the winter tents are holdovers from Moss. I had one of the older MSR tents and I did not like it.

Oct 3, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a small MSR one man as well as an old Moss Thunderdome, which would be one step up from the fury (about 2.5 man). I really love both of them . They both have good features and feel really solid in storms. I would highly recommend the MSR. (I was going to get the Fury till I found the Moss on clearance)

qwert

Oct 3, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Points] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks so far, really helpfull, keep the information comming.

i have finaly found a site that has a lot of pictures of the fury:
http://www.moontrail.com/tents/msr_fury.html
and from what i see, it looks quite good for my inteded uses.

but one thing is still unclear:
"Superior Ventilation:
Excellent high/low venting through large rear mesh window and a peak vent with kickstand support"
first: how good is the ventilation,
and second, what is the peak vent with kickstand suppoort?
i dont see a peak vent (altough the moss version had one, but not in the msr), and i really cant think of anything a kickstand could be.
i doubt it will get worse than my last tent (article on the mountain equipment torres), but you never know.

i think i will have a look at it in the shop (and also at the MSR fling, while this is a totally different tent, it also looks very nice)

qwert

(This post was edited by qwert on Oct 3, 2007, 7:23 PM)

tallnik

Oct 3, 2007, 7:32 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ventilation is adequate on the fury, although the fusion has WAY better options in that regard. The kickstand is a fold out support for a peaked window in the fly.

fatoomchk

Oct 5, 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Qwert,
I considered both the fusion and fury when I bought my last tent, but ended up choosing a Macpac Minaret. I love it, but it is a non-self supporting tent, but is lighter than the MSR equivalents. If you want something bigger, then you could consider an Olympus.

Macpac have distributors in Germany, so you should be able to find one.

regardless, I think the MSR tents are excellent also.

anykineclimb

Oct 5, 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fatoomchk] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for its (light)weight, the Fury is an awesome winter tent. Like said earlier, it can be a bit cozy and the ventilation is minimal. Aside from that the vestibule is huge and the damn thing is built like a brick shithouse.
Sometime I wish I kept it but like the two doors of the MH trango 2.

Alpine07

Oct 7, 2007, 8:14 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] MSR tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the MSR Hubba, I know that is not what you are looking for in a tent, but I just wanted to say that the quality and design in their tents are amazing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook