Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

coolcat83

Oct 17, 2007, 1:14 PM
Post #26 of 40 (1262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Eartaker] how do I start this hmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So far good advice, I still consider myself a noob, going on 4 years climbing. I was lucky enough to have gyms in my area and hooked up with some mentors. For now you have all the gear you'll need for a while, partners will appreciate the rope, and you just need to take time and build up your strength and technique. as a former rc helicopter enthusiast I’ll say there are a lot of similarities, lots of detail, technique and safety learning, you should try to find a mentor, because you need to be safe (anyone who doesn't believe me go try swinging a sharpened piece of carbon fiber by your head a few hundred times a minute). That said, this is a different beast, gym is a good place to meet people. be honest tell them you are new, you can say that you got X gear so that you can put the wear and tear of learning on your gear, ask if they'd be interested in climbing with you. Being enthusiastic is great. If they tell you something is done a certain way ask why a lot, but make sure he/she knows you are not just questioning their methods all the time but in it to learn. Sometimes things don’t make sense till you have the reasoning. But don’t follow blindly. Read up on what you can. My early “rack” consisted of nuts and hexes, not the best but it’s what I could afford and was good for top rope and backups in my area.

Finally, climbing is hard, some just take to it easily, others struggle to get up low grades, but you will improve at your own pace. It takes time, but the main point is to enjoy the journey, weather it’s climbing a hill or a massive overhang, if it’s not fun why do it? That said if you find yourself frustrated, struggling, take time and don’t give up, because the feeling of accomplishment is worth it. (My first personal ‘Everest’ was a 5.8)

Eartaker

Oct 17, 2007, 1:14 PM
Post #27 of 40 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] how do I start this hmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so I went to the gym tonight and tried to complete a climb that was equal to a 5.9 they said and I got half way through and I was wore out..... I fell off the wall lol. a harness is not required but shoes and a chalk bag are because it isn't very high. They will evaluate me Friday and all of my gear that I have to see if they will take me actually climbing or not. YES flying blades are craziness...when I first got my Raptor I was afraid to fly it... thinking it would chop off my legs lol

(This post was edited by Eartaker on Oct 17, 2007, 1:19 PM)

onceahardman

Oct 17, 2007, 8:05 PM
Post #28 of 40 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eartaker...thank you for your service to this country!

some advice from an old-schooler...

first, GO CLIMBING a few times. watch, listen, and ask questions. DONT tell the people you are learning from about everything you know. you are there to learn, not to teach. learn to rig a top-rope. learn to belay, and to rappel. these things will help you figure out what gear is best FOR YOU.

if only one kind of gear was best, there would only be one kind of gear in existence.

i'm glad you have a rope. take care of it. don't buy a used rope. get a set of wired nuts, and some hexes. they are cheap, and will help you learn a lot about gear placement. if you find a deal on cams, maybe get a couple, but hold off on a full rack unless money is no object. try a few brands out, see what YOU like. the people at the gym should be getting outside. try to tag along when you can.

welcome to rock climbing. it is a unique pursuit, and it will change your life.

thanks again for your service. i'm in awe of you guys.

sidepull

Oct 17, 2007, 8:45 PM
Post #29 of 40 (1208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] how do I start this hmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to agree with onceahardman, and congratulate eartaker for his service and to attempt to help him out. But I was taken aback by how quickly he became hostile. Beyond that, I'm completely baffled by his myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/eartaker
Some things worth noting:

1) he's his own hero - narcissism or self confidence?
2) he hates reading - well at least he won't see this.
3) he lists his occupation as "professional killer" - um, okay.
4) the phrase "Pain has a face! Alow me to show it to you!'s Schools" - is this a threat?

I'm sorry but eartaker (what kind of name is that!?) seems to lack balance. Maybe (hopefully) climbing will help provide him with developing more ways of coping with the world and allow him to make friends with people that could be a positive influence. I recommend learning about meditation, practicing yoga, converting to buddhism, and a basic package, something like this:

http://www.madrockclimbing.com/...&category_id=266

or even better:

http://www.gearexpress.biz/...p;Product_Code=2015P

(This post was edited by sidepull on Oct 17, 2007, 11:12 PM)

Eartaker

Oct 18, 2007, 1:36 AM
Post #30 of 40 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] how do I start this hmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

who in the hell actually puts there true thoughts out there in the open for everyone to read other than those who have nothing to do? If you want to take a Myspace pages as a reflection of how a person really is then maybe you need to get off of the computer and realize that it is all just a game.

there is nothing on my Myspace that truly reflects me as a person other than the type of music I am into.... oh and my videos. Professional killer... yeah right I work on Microwave Radios, hate reading? I don't like to read I'm more of a hands on person. me being my own hero has to do with me believing in myself. If a person strives to be like someone else then are they truly there own self? the phrase you refer to is an opening line in a song by Children of Bodom it is no where near a threat. I'm a 21 year old who grew up with death metal and my dad as a guitar player. not much more I can say to explain the myspace. as in me becoming hostile it was because I am not one that takes criticism well. like I stated before I am sorry for that. I ask of you not to judge me by the myspace

eastvillage

Oct 18, 2007, 1:59 AM
Post #31 of 40 (1173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/southkorea.html

http://www.koreaontherocks.com/

sidepull

Oct 19, 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #32 of 40 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eartaker wrote:
who in the hell actually puts there true thoughts out there in the open for everyone to read . . .

a lot of people - bloggers, people on this site, etc. If you're putting out a purposely false image then either you're trolling for entertainment or just lying. i don't think either rationale fits what you've done.

Eartaker wrote:
there is nothing on my Myspace that truly reflects me as a person other than . . .

nice opening line and then you go on to justify everything on your page. maybe that's more of a function of it being myspace - virtual cesspool. but the fact of the matter is that your defensive response indicates that a lot of what you've got there is a fair representation of who you are otherwise you'd simply laugh off my critique.

Eartaker wrote:
me being my own hero has to do with me believing in myself. If a person strives to be like someone else then are they truly there own self?

then why not simply include your second sentence above and remove the narcissistic crap?

Eartaker wrote:
the phrase you refer to is an opening line in a song by Children of Bodom it is no where near a threat.

just like myspace, deathmetal is a cesspool. nothing enobling there.

Eartaker wrote:
as in me becoming hostile it was because I am not one that takes criticism well. like I stated before I am sorry for that. I ask of you not to judge me by the myspace

your justification for your behavior is pretty laughable. but i think the apology is pretty sincere.

look, i'm raggin on you for a point - if you put out an image of being a hostile individual with an emotional feather trigger then people are not going to like you. i honestly hope you're able to really enjoy climbing, get good advice, find good partners, and grow. i won't razz you again.

tansofun

Oct 19, 2007, 4:28 AM
Post #33 of 40 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eartaker wrote:
a harness is not required but shoes and a chalk bag are

I find that in gyms and in popular climbing area's I don't need to use chalk because there is already enough of it on the holds.

As a result, I haven't used any in a year, and most of my friends have stopped as well. It ends up being a kind of crutch, you'll be hanging out in a rest spot and repeatedly dip your hands in the bag out of habit.

flint

Oct 19, 2007, 5:27 AM
Post #34 of 40 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tansofun] how do I start this hmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tansofun wrote:
Eartaker wrote:
a harness is not required but shoes and a chalk bag are

I find that in gyms and in popular climbing area's I don't need to use chalk because there is already enough of it on the holds.

As a result, I haven't used any in a year, and most of my friends have stopped as well. It ends up being a kind of crutch, you'll be hanging out in a rest spot and repeatedly dip your hands in the bag out of habit.

I like to french blow my chalk like Sonnie... just looks so damn cool....

j-

stymingersfink

Oct 20, 2007, 5:02 AM
Post #35 of 40 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] how do I start this hmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
I'm sorry but eartaker (what kind of name is that!?)

IIRC, In past military conflicts in that region of the globe, the collection of ears was a way to record kills.

nice avatar.

not.

Eartaker

Oct 20, 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #36 of 40 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] how do I start this hmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

actually the name comes from a game called Diablo. In the game when you kill another online player you take there ear as a item to show proof of killing them.

stymingersfink

Oct 20, 2007, 5:39 PM
Post #37 of 40 (1075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eartaker wrote:
actually the name comes from a game called Diablo. In the game when you kill another online player you take there ear as a item to show proof of killing them.
yeah, like i said. time was that game was a real game of life and death, in some hell hole called Viet Nam.

MikaK

Oct 20, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #38 of 40 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wondering if you are interested in trad, not sport. Why bother buying quickdraws? Ok, the places near you are sport but you can most likely top rope them and learn the basics of rock climbing and perhaps practice setting up trad gear there still.

gobennyjo

Oct 20, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #39 of 40 (1064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eartaker wrote:
so I went to the gym tonight and tried to complete a climb that was equal to a 5.9 they said and I got half way through and I was wore out..... I fell off the wall lol. a harness is not required but shoes and a chalk bag are because it isn't very high.
PS I think you call that bouldering and learn to use a search engine, google and RC.com there was a gym three miles from you.

uhoh

Oct 20, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #40 of 40 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eartaker wrote:
WOW. first two responses both negative. looks like the rock climbing community is full of critics so far. I have no gym here for climbing I'm in S. Korea. and as I stated I wont be alone. I have instructors with me and I have taken class's on climbing. sounds like this is going to be the same as when I got started in RC helicopters.... everyone always says it is imposable to learn without experts. thanks for the positive input on my deciding to take up the sport.

Critics who don't want you to deck and maim or kill yourself. When the community speaks, you listen.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook