Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All


jaybro


Nov 8, 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #51 of 97 (7817 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 2, 2005
Posts: 441

Re: [tomPR] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What a cool thread!


edl


Nov 8, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #52 of 97 (7806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 134

Re: [grimpiperx] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

grimpiperx wrote:
Doesn't Matt Birch's Somewhere in Time count? Given V14 by Matt Birch and V13 by Daniel Woods.

Do you have any more info on this one?


atpeaceinbozeman


Nov 8, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #53 of 97 (7798 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2002
Posts: 478

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edl wrote:
grimpiperx wrote:
Doesn't Matt Birch's Somewhere in Time count? Given V14 by Matt Birch and V13 by Daniel Woods.

Do you have any more info on this one?

check out http://socalbouldering.com/lowdown.htm

it has some info and a picture...


grimpiperx


Nov 8, 2007, 8:30 PM
Post #54 of 97 (7772 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 30, 2004
Posts: 330

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edl wrote:
grimpiperx wrote:
Doesn't Matt Birch's Somewhere in Time count? Given V14 by Matt Birch and V13 by Daniel Woods.

Do you have any more info on this one?


There was a video of it on http://www.momentumvm.com but it is not up any more although if you are a premium member you can watch it, and maybe it is on the first DVD.


tomPR


Nov 8, 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #55 of 97 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 30, 2007
Posts: 18

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edl wrote:
Oh yea, there is also The Red Snapper. This was originally done as a V13 sloper problem by Andy Reather (sick), but it is really a flared and traversing crack problem. If you do it as a crack it is around V8. That one is also in the new guide.

Yeah, that's typical! Some hardnut slopes it out and really, with a bit of flare-action and cunningness you can get away with sneaky jams!!


edl


Nov 9, 2007, 2:50 AM
Post #56 of 97 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 134

Re: [tomPR] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tomPR wrote:
Yeah, that's typical! Some hardnut slopes it out and really, with a bit of flare-action and cunningness you can get away with sneaky jams!!

It's true. I don't of course mean any disrespect to Andy, he just missed the beta on that one. What he did on it is impressive though.

Also, I was wondering about a couple crack problems myself, so I would love to hear any info about them. One is supposedly somewhere in Red Rocks, a Bachar problem I believe. Also, Curt once mentioned something about "The Nichole Crack" which is supposedly in J-tree. There is also supposedly some thirty degree overhanging ringlock crack above Big Bend Boulders somewhere, but who knows about that one. Sounds plausible though. Camhead? Anyone?

Also worth mentioning are two that a guy who posts under the name grateful joe on yourclimbing.com put up. One is a seventy foot offwidth roof in Hueco, and the other is some hard crack in the Happys or Sads outside of Bishop. He said both are 5.13. I don't know anything else about them, never seen them or anything.

Also, Tom, I never did The Cedar Eater. I haven't been to Yosemite in a couple years, and I didn't know where it was or who to ask when I was there. Really wanted to check it out though. Next time.

Keep em coming guys, one of my favorite topics ever.


m-earle


Nov 9, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #57 of 97 (7738 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 3, 2007
Posts: 36

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"There is also supposedly some thirty degree overhanging ringlock crack above Big Bend Boulders somewhere"

sweet...


a.a.


Nov 9, 2007, 5:30 AM
Post #58 of 97 (7725 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 23, 2004
Posts: 74

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edl wrote:
Also, I was wondering about a couple crack problems myself, so I would love to hear any info about them. One is supposedly somewhere in Red Rocks, a Bachar problem I believe.

There's a problem at Willow Springs that the little bouldering guide lists as an unrepeated Bachar crack problem. Unfortunately it's pretty much a closed seam that you face climb around. As far as I know, it hasn't seen a second ascent.


tomPR


Nov 9, 2007, 5:23 PM
Post #59 of 97 (7699 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 30, 2007
Posts: 18

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edl wrote:

Also worth mentioning are two that a guy who posts under the name grateful joe on yourclimbing.com put up. One is a seventy foot offwidth roof in Hueco, and the other is some hard crack in the Happys or Sads outside of Bishop. He said both are 5.13. I don't know anything else about them, never seen them or anything.

Also, Tom, I never did The Cedar Eater. I haven't been to Yosemite in a couple years, and I didn't know where it was or who to ask when I was there. Really wanted to check it out though. Next time.

Keep em coming guys, one of my favorite topics ever.

Yeah, I've heard of this huge offwidth roof as well in Hueco - dunno any details though. Maybe it's just an urban myth or someone distorting the story about something else we actually know about.

Cedar Eater is great - worth the trip to find it (about a hour of getting lost in the woods! Despite having the guide book) and certainly worth climbing to feel what it's like to sit-ups when your legs are numb...

I also know of an uber-project roof in Cali - I'll PM you about it.

I've been working on a horizontal 20ft roof crack for 4yrs now - getting close these days - guess it'll be V11/12 when it gets done. I can mail you a couple of photos if you're interested.

And - yes, this is the best discussion topic ever!!


Partner camhead


Nov 9, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #60 of 97 (7690 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2001
Posts: 20939

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edl wrote:
There is also supposedly some thirty degree overhanging ringlock crack above Big Bend Boulders somewhere, but who knows about that one. Sounds plausible though. Camhead? Anyone?

I've heard of this crack, but never been on it or seen it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's around v5 or v6. May have to go exploring in the next few days.


atpeaceinbozeman


Nov 9, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #61 of 97 (7674 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2002
Posts: 478

Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seurat (v8) @ Mt. Evans, Colorado is another cool looking crack problem that hasn't been mentioned...

Pics here:

http://dp-climbing.blogspot.com/...-evans-colorado.html

Video here:

http://www.momentumvm.com/cms/


tomPR


Nov 9, 2007, 9:40 PM
Post #62 of 97 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 30, 2007
Posts: 18

Re: [atpeaceinbozeman] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
Seurat (v8) @ Mt. Evans, Colorado is another cool looking crack problem that hasn't been mentioned...

Pics here:

http://dp-climbing.blogspot.com/...-evans-colorado.html

Video here:

http://www.momentumvm.com/cms/

She's laybacking.... tut... tut.

Whatever next?! Wink

Nice video anyway - thanks for that.


goodman


Nov 9, 2007, 9:49 PM
Post #63 of 97 (7648 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 16, 2003
Posts: 31

Re: [petsfed] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo Petsfed - Justin got the 2nd ascent of Equilibrium - FYI.....


goodman


Nov 9, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #64 of 97 (7645 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 16, 2003
Posts: 31

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Edl - Pats Crack has a 2nd. I got back there a few years ago. Cloudwalker is a great finger crack roof problem!


petsfed


Nov 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #65 of 97 (7631 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 25, 2002
Posts: 8599

Re: [goodman] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

goodman wrote:
Yo Petsfed - Justin got the 2nd ascent of Equilibrium - FYI.....

As in he did it again? Otherwise, you might want to tell him that first, because he's the one who claimed it.


goodman


Nov 9, 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #66 of 97 (7613 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 16, 2003
Posts: 31

Re: [petsfed] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have spoken with him in regards to the history.


petsfed


Nov 10, 2007, 1:10 AM
Post #67 of 97 (7591 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 25, 2002
Posts: 8599

Re: [goodman] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Cool. Who got the FA then?


edl


Nov 10, 2007, 4:00 AM
Post #68 of 97 (7558 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 134

Re: [petsfed] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo goodman. Glad to get your input on this thread. Good work on Pats Crack, that thing is amazing and hard.

I think you are thinking about The Crap Artist, which is kinda near Nats. I put that up on Mountain Project, gave you credit on the FA too. I can change the name to whatever you like if you want. Equilibrium is a super painful fifteen foot sixty degree roof at the base of Holdout. If you did that one too, good work. Also wanted to mention that I went back to Deliverance and sent without dabbing. Did it twice back to back just for good measure. Good problem.

One last thing, Where can we find The Karate Flare up by Gray Rock. I'm sure you told me but I have forgotten by now. I remember you said it was very cool bad flared hands.


edl


Nov 10, 2007, 4:54 AM
Post #69 of 97 (7544 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 134

Re: [camhead] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
I've heard of this crack, but never been on it or seen it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's around v5 or v6. May have to go exploring in the next few days.

The guy who told me about it said it was way up and to the left of Big Bend if standing at the road and looking at the boulders, near a prow on the cliffline. Let us know if you find it.

Also, I for one wont laugh at you for mentioning Enchanted Rock, that place sounds cool, and your not the first person I have heard talk about it. If it wasn't in the heart of The Land of the Longbelts I would have already checked it out by now. Is it worth the trip for a guy who lives in Wyoming? Also, where could I get info about the routes, besides the ones you listed? Sounds similar to Mt. Woodson.


Partner camhead


Nov 10, 2007, 6:47 AM
Post #70 of 97 (7532 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2001
Posts: 20939

Re: [edl] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edl wrote:
camhead wrote:
I've heard of this crack, but never been on it or seen it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's around v5 or v6. May have to go exploring in the next few days.

The guy who told me about it said it was way up and to the left of Big Bend if standing at the road and looking at the boulders, near a prow on the cliffline. Let us know if you find it.

Also, I for one wont laugh at you for mentioning Enchanted Rock, that place sounds cool, and your not the first person I have heard talk about it. If it wasn't in the heart of The Land of the Longbelts I would have already checked it out by now. Is it worth the trip for a guy who lives in Wyoming? Also, where could I get info about the routes, besides the ones you listed? Sounds similar to Mt. Woodson.

cool, I'll have to check that out. Although unfortunately, I will only be in Moab for another couple weeks.

There's a bouldering guidebook out for E-rock called "The Little Dome Driver," by Scott Steiner. However, even that guidebook doesn't have much in the way of hard cracks. I actually don't know of that many cracks at E-rock that are harder than 12b or so.

A trip to E-Rock and the Wichitas in OK (they're about 6 hours apart) would be worth it from Wyoming, without a doubt. Those two areas have a combined lifetime of bouldering. And you could always take the long way home and hit Hueco.


edl


Nov 11, 2007, 4:44 AM
Post #71 of 97 (7485 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 134

Re: [camhead] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just thought of another one: Robbery Train (V9) at Mt. Evans put up by Cameron Cross. Never been on that one either. Why is it so hard to get people to go up to hard cracks? There used to be a video of it on climbing.com, dunno if it's still there. Splitter fingers and tight hands out a roof, looked sweet.

Camhead: Those two places are now definitely on my places to see list. Thanks.


yuiruprup


Nov 29, 2007, 3:26 AM
Post #72 of 97 (7350 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 15, 2006
Posts: 54

Re: [sammmy] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sammmy wrote:
Commando Crack, V3
Grandmother Mtn.

Dude, I have done commando crack and I boulder v6 on my best day.

It is definitely harder than v3 though.


Partner neuroshock


Nov 30, 2007, 9:59 PM
Post #73 of 97 (7277 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2003
Posts: 680

Re: [alvchen] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

alvchen wrote:
Ethan Pringle recently sent it and it's supposed to go at V11. He described it as, "really tweaky mono finger locks in piton scars. I guess he also did it in the same style as Potter; sans right shoe.

vid of Pringle on Sasquatch is up on MomentumVM

as well as Steph Davis on the full Crack House


sammmy


Nov 30, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #74 of 97 (7248 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 1, 2004
Posts: 59

Re: [knieveltech] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
FTW you don't have to worry about getting Dean Milton's panties in a bunch because there's a non-local in the area.
Edited to add: Uh...yeah...wrong problem. My bad. Reading comprehension and all that. Carry on.

Bwaahahahha! Seriously? That's funny if so. (If there's a) Next time, ask him where he's from.
Wait, actually, yea, locals only brah!!!!

yuiruprup wrote:
sammmy wrote:
Commando Crack, V3
Grandmother Mtn.

Dude, I have done commando crack and I boulder v6 on my best day.

It is definitely harder than v3 though.

(not quite sure what your point is, but)
Ok... 5.10+ then.


Edit: Blue Moon at Asheboro is my new nominee then, since Commando Crack isn't V2.


(This post was edited by sammmy on Nov 30, 2007, 11:00 PM)


knieveltech


Dec 1, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #75 of 97 (7208 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 2, 2006
Posts: 1431

Re: [sammmy] Hardest Crack Boulder Problems in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sammmy wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
FTW you don't have to worry about getting Dean Milton's panties in a bunch because there's a non-local in the area.
Edited to add: Uh...yeah...wrong problem. My bad. Reading comprehension and all that. Carry on.

Bwaahahahha! Seriously? That's funny if so. (If there's a) Next time, ask him where he's from.
Wait, actually, yea, locals only brah!!!!

Not likely. Last time I checked there where only a couple problems out there I was interested in ticking anyway and with Ashboro open, eh, he can keep Grandmother. It's not like it's dry half the time anyway.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook