RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jfly22

Nov 20, 2007, 6:59 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Weight Gainer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am an avid rock boulderer. I climb about 3-5 days a week, for about 2-8 hours. I am 5 foot 6/7 and weigh 140 lbs. I do not eat healthy at all (fast food 2-3 times a day usually) but I have lost about 20 lbs (I was 160) and I am in the best shape of my life. I want to build muscle mass, and my roomate just gave me a big tub of weight gainer 900. I think it is just a bunch of protein. I basically have several questions. Can I take this weight gainer stuff and gain muscle mass without gaining fat mass? If so how much should I take? Also, though I want to gain weight I also want my climbing strength to keep up. Will my strength to weight ratio be affected by this stuff. I know this is a bunch of questions that are complicated, but if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.

sshagy

Nov 20, 2007, 7:53 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jfly22] Weight Gainer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you eat like shit you will feel like shit.

azrockclimber

Nov 20, 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you gotta eat better....

I didn't learn this until I got into triathlon... eating properly can change your life. stronger, faster, better mood, more alert, recover more quickly....etc....

don't take the wieght gainer...just take the required time to build climbing specific strength.... if you eat better you will progress more quickly.... the weight gainer is for body builders....without getting into specific reasons.

immediately post climbing workout...eat a protein bar and a 32oz gatorade...everytime.

spoon

Nov 20, 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why would you add unpleasant supplements to your diet when just not eating 3 hamburgers a day would be easier, cheaper, and more effective at giving you the body you want?

rhythm164

Nov 20, 2007, 1:22 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you pollute your body with that shit (i.e. McDonalds, Arby's, Weight Gainer) you can expect to reap what you sow. Try eating healthy for a change. Instead to creatien, try natural alternatives, like a healthy diet, and complex protiens, beans and rice, lean meats or if ou really want to nix the carcinogens (which your fast food diet is full of by the way) tofu, gasp.

try it, you'll like it. not to mention you'll stop stinking of fry grease and grade D "meat"

hopperhopper

Nov 21, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

limit your climbing to 2 or 3 days a week, no more than 3 hours per session. twice a week or so hit the gym, hard. for your diet, stick to lean meats, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and whole grain stuff. if you insist on using a supplement, take whey protein. i would also suggest a daily multivitamin.

if your aim is to become the best climber possible, then your goal should be to maximize strength while minimizing weight. weight gain in itself will only hurt your climbing. the muscle that comes along with it will help, but is negated to some extent as you begin to weigh more. follow?

pro_alien

Nov 21, 2007, 1:48 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weight gainers are mostly sugars / carbs of some sort. Save your money and eat real food instead. Good quality protein supplements will be more useful to help with putting on muscle. And definitely stop eating that fast food...

Rockjunkie15

Nov 21, 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pro_alien] Weight Gainer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From my personal experience weight gainers tend to make you retain more water in your muscle mass. I gained weight using a 660 calorie gainer and it wasn't useful "clean" weight. I would clean up you diet and use a simple whey protein after your work-outs. If your cut the fast food out of your diet you'll be amazed at how much better and stronger you will feel.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook