RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner neuroshock

Dec 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2650 views)
Shortcut

DIY softshell patching an option?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I suppose this could also go into the Gear Heads forum but I figured those reading this forum would more likely have hands-on experience.

Last winter I wasn't careful enough after rocking my weight over my foot and when I stood one of my rear crampon points put a nickel-sized hole in my softshell pants high on the inner thigh. As this year's season is approaching (or already here?) I remembered that I haven't fixed the hole nor gotten a replacement garment. It's a pant that Black Diamond used to make. I think the material is Scholler.

Is there a good and reliable way of patching such a hole? A breeze down there would be most unwelcome and any melt that gets there even moreso.

Thanks!
Mike

reno

Dec 27, 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] DIY softshell patching an option? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

neuroshock wrote:
Is there a good and reliable way of patching such a hole?

Needle and thread.

climbingaggie03

Dec 27, 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the same thing to my softshell pants last year, mine is where there are two overlapping layers of material and the hole is only on the outer layer, so I'm thinking I'm gonna glue it shut with seam grip. I don't know if glue would work for how your hole is, but seam grip is some good stuff if it will work.

Partner neuroshock

Dec 27, 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] DIY softshell patching an option? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
neuroshock wrote:
Is there a good and reliable way of patching such a hole?

Needle and thread.

Ha, I walked into that one. That's the solution I was going to fall back to, but I was wondering if there was a fix that "restored" the wind/water resistant nature of the garment. For example, I've seen patches for GoreTex outerwear that supposedly make them waterproof again. I just didn't know if there was any such thing for softshells. Certainly, my sewing won't do that.

Thanks for the reply, though.

reno

Dec 27, 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neuroshock wrote:
Ha, I walked into that one. That's the solution I was going to fall back to, but I was wondering if there was a fix that "restored" the wind/water resistant nature of the garment. For example, I've seen patches for GoreTex outerwear that supposedly make them waterproof again. I just didn't know if there was any such thing for softshells. Certainly, my sewing won't do that.

I'd think you could do a Gore-Tex patch over the hole, if not on the outside then on the inside (though that might be a bit itchy, patch edges and all that.)

Another thought, and I hate to state the obvious: Have you hollered at the folks that made the pants, ask them for advice or guidance?

stymingersfink

Dec 27, 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got one of those same pairs of pants, and have suffered a few similar wounds to my outer layer. BD quit making them several years ago, to focus more on the hardware+gloves side of things it would seem.

Depending on the size of the tear, I'd probably have to recommend the needle+thread option to start with. The material has quite a bit of stretchy to it though, so you'll need to ascertain just how important retaining the stretchy in that local area is.

Once you get it stitched together, I would probably take a swipe or two over it with seam-grip. Not enough to make a bead, more to put a smear around the stitching to prevent the original textile from unraveling. Since the material is only water resistant to begin with, you're really not trying to do anything more than keep the breeze out while preventing the fabric from tearing further. Swipe it inside and out.

Failing all that, I've found a swatch of duct-tape can actually work quite well, and for a long time. Put one on the outside, one on the inside. Make sure the pant is dry to begin with, and I'd even consider running a warm (coolest setting) iron gently over it to encourage the glue to bond well. You'll need to replace the duct-patch every year or so though, as the tape becomes dry and brittle over time.

sandstone

Dec 27, 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best repair is to zigzag stitch it together on a sewing machine, then cover the stitching with seamgrip (one side is enough). If you don't have access to a sewing machine, just use needle and thread. If you don't have seamgrip, just use some clear silicone caulking.

The repair will be quite strong, and waterproffness is not an issue, since the silicone coated repair will be more waterproof than the surrounding fabric.

Partner neuroshock

Dec 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Another thought, and I hate to state the obvious: Have you hollered at the folks that made the pants, ask them for advice or guidance?

I have, actually, but figured I might as well ask here too and have a better chance of finding a workable solution. I'm awaiting a response from BD.

Partner neuroshock

Dec 27, 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] DIY softshell patching an option? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to everyone for the ideas with sewing + seam sealant. Now I just have to remember where I put the pants 10 months ago Crazy

Adk

Dec 28, 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seam Grip

http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=549

The stuff is good. If you use this stuff you may not have to sew it even. It's that good.

stymingersfink

Dec 28, 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] DIY softshell patching an option? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
Seam Grip

http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=549

The stuff is good. If you use this stuff you may not have to sew it even. It's that good.
Yes, but if you make a bead of it in a rub-zone, it will forever after bug the shit out of you. Especially if it's on your inner thigh.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook