Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beginner Routes in February
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lbaxterh

Dec 28, 2007, 1:20 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Routes in February  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know February isn't the best time to be in Red Rocks but I'll take any chance I have and this is it. I am comfortable leading up to 5.8, maybe 5.9 on sport routes; and up to 5.7 on trad routes. Any suggestions for areas that will be more in the sun with easier routes... preferrably mostly single pitch, but a few multi pitch would also be fun. Or any good top rope spots in the sun?

climbingaggie03

Dec 28, 2007, 1:49 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lbaxterh] Beginner Routes in February [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think solar slab is in the sun, you might also check out cat in the hat, and tunnel vision is fun.

check out the panty wall for single pitch sport routes. the gallery will also have some routes that are in your range.

that's what I've got, i'm sure there are other areas that have climbs that you can get on.

rudolphluciani

Dec 28, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lbaxterh] Beginner Routes in February [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Solar Slab area is a sure bet. Johnny Vegas is 5.7 and for sure a classic. Aditionally, the Solar slab route itself is primo stuf if you're prepaired for a very long day. Olive Oil on Rose tower is also 5.7 and super fun. In any case, make sure to get a super early start as the low winter sun tends to duck behind the opposate canyon wall earlier than you'd expect(read12:30pm). Have FUN

desertwanderer81

Dec 31, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Beginner Routes in February [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I think solar slab is in the sun, you might also check out cat in the hat, and tunnel vision is fun.

check out the panty wall for single pitch sport routes. the gallery will also have some routes that are in your range.

that's what I've got, i'm sure there are other areas that have climbs that you can get on.

IIRC, Tunnel Vision is in the shade all day in the winter. I have very vivid memories of frozen fingers on that climb :p

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook