Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

stonefoxgirl

Jan 5, 2008, 5:42 PM
Post #1 of 47 (8919 views)
Shortcut

Weight Gain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Been a while, hope everyone had some great holidays to celebrate this year - and a Happy New Year to everyone!

This summer was rad, I climbed a ton, climbed my hardest ever, I was focused, met some great people and then here came fall, time for school and not having a second to hit the gym or take a trip to climb. Since August (125lbs, Im 5'7") ***MISTAKE 5'7", sorry*** I have gained 15 lbs!!!! What the hell! I didn't change my diet but did become a bit more sedentary through the fall due to studying, lack of time blah blah blah. I looked in the mirror (very few times have I not been happy with 30, actually one time, but this time I looked in the mirror and was like what the hell -are their abs in there???)
I have a week till school starts again, this will be my busiest semester so Im scared Im going to gain more. My metabolism has NEVER been so shifty and I hate it! I have resorted to brisk walking on my lunch breaks (I can also walk the track at school before class but I don't have much time during the week. I work 7-3.30p M-F and then I have school 5.30-10.30p M-Th. So, I need some suggestions on quick and best use of time to exercise, food (I eat very well) and motivation. I refuse to turn into some blob and have to start from the beginning come May. I want to be ready to beat last years climbing goals. I've done pretty well with 30, I think it's just that I haven't had to manage my time with school and work for about 10 years and Im back at the 'freshman 15' - so what do ya'll have for me?
Cheers!

(This post was edited by stonefoxgirl on Jan 7, 2008, 2:23 PM)

gblauer

Jan 5, 2008, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 47 (8904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefoxgirl] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Be very aware of what you are eating. While you might eat well, you are clearly eating too much relative to your activity level. So, drink lots of water, eat a lot less (I used to do this trick, eat slowly, when you are half way done with what's on your plate, salt it like crazy so you can no longer eat it. You have now eaten 1/2 of what you would have eaten in the past.) Remember it takes 3500 calories to create a pound of fat, so you took in 52000 calories more than you needed. Take your time, cut your calories and increase your activity level, the weight will come off.

Partner macherry

Jan 6, 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #3 of 47 (8895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, increase activity, watch extra calories like sugar sweetened beverages and sodas. throw in a little weight training to get you ready for the climbing season.

theclimbergirl

Jan 6, 2008, 5:51 AM
Post #4 of 47 (8878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also in "dietary surveillance" mode, as my chub has crept up in the last few months. I'd disagree with the "salt" recommendation, though, and stick to smaller portions and more fruits and veggies. When I cut out fried potatoes, snacks at starbucks, and eat unlimited fruits and veggies as substitutes for other higher fat and calorie foods, I lose weight. Slowly, but without counting calories.

wiki

Jan 6, 2008, 6:32 AM
Post #5 of 47 (8875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know it sounds strange but FIDGET!

When you are on the phone - walk around, when you watch TV - read at the same time...

You don't have to do big exercise, little things like doodling or crosswords or picking up every little bit of fluff on the carpet or whatever...

Do not sit still for a second (without that cross word or maths puzzle Wink)

The more thinking involved, the better... it burns those calories!

granite_grrl

Jan 6, 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #6 of 47 (8840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefoxgirl wrote:
I work 7-3.30p M-F and then I have school 5.30-10.30p M-Th. So, I need some suggestions on quick and best use of time to exercise, food (I eat very well) and motivation.

Yeah, I can see how this schedule would make it hard to find motivation. But I think you have the time to get exercise. 2 hours between work and school, understood that you'll need some of that time for assignments, etc, but its still a block of time you can try to use. You also have the weekends and Friday afternoon.

What facilities do you have available? If you have a gym, or better yet, a climbing gym at your school hit it up between work and school. Not enough time? Bike from work to school, or make the ride longer if not too long. I also find its easier to get motivated if I have some thing like a yoga class to get to.

Get a schedule going, you'll have to make a lot of effort some days, but you do have the time.

stonefoxgirl

Jan 6, 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #7 of 47 (8840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The sugar part is easy, I don't drink soda and I don't eat processed foods. I sweeten things like oatmeal with raisins, etc. So my sugars would be alcohol, fruits and carbs. I do a lot of simple cooking at home, stick to whole wheat pasta/bread. I think Im eating like I am climbing, too many calories and too little exercise. Im sure alcohol and the holidays did it too but like I said, it's been over 4 months that I gained. I don't know about the salt idea above, Im prone to high BP and Cholesterol due to family history and I stay away from salt and a lot of fats. I will keep in mind to trick myself with water - I never get enough in the winter anyway!

comet

Jan 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 47 (8833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might also consider that 140 could be a healthy weight for you at 5'8" and 30 years old, and that in the past you have been overexercising.

Just a thought--I bring it up because I'm happier with how I look 10 pounds lighter, but it's not a sustainable weight for me unless I compulsively exercise.

acacongua

Jan 7, 2008, 3:58 AM
Post #9 of 47 (8815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you go running or work out in the two hours between work and classes and on the weekends? You'll have to plan ahead and pack everything, but I would utilize that time for cardio like running and weights.

clausti

Jan 7, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #10 of 47 (8779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm going to second the coment that you reconsider what you consider to be a healthy weight, actually. you're 5'8"? i mean, i know we haven't met, but i'm tiny, and i weigh 113 at 5'2. i have to be like hmmm when you say you're 6 inches taller but think you should only weigh ~10 lbs more.

also, do you always get squishier in the winter? i know i do, even if my weight stays close to the same.

oh, third, and practical suggestion- keep a nalgene of water (or crystal light 0 Cal stuff) with you at all times. a narrow mouth one, so its not a pain in the ass to drink out of. or better yet, a camelbak top bottle. bottom line, drink more water is a good suggestion, and you should make it as easy on yourself as possible. maybe? you dont eat that much more when you're out climbing, but you're always well hydrated, because you're carrying water, so you feel fuller and more satisfied. maybe you could try and replicate that?

stonefoxgirl

Jan 7, 2008, 2:18 PM
Post #11 of 47 (8768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I normally hover right around 130-135, I always have. Last year I lost an extra 5 in summer which I thought I could maintain. Nope. So yes I am squishy and my clothes don't fit, there is a problem. It is a lot more fat than muscle.

Partner macherry

Jan 7, 2008, 3:29 PM
Post #12 of 47 (8757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

time for the gym. My weight has actually increased since i started weight training, but i have slimmed down.............more muscle. Also, talking to the woman who set up my program, she said those who regularily train or are in goo muscular shape tend to notice those few extra pounds than those who have less muscle.

I would focus less on losing weight, but more on activity

stonefoxgirl

Jan 7, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #13 of 47 (8753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to start focusing on activity, I have never had to really 'do' anything out of the norm to keep on track - I am normally always there. I do always eat pretty well. Now here are two other things that are of concern for me. What I would consider a dramatic weight gain and change in 'elimination'. Hypochondriac...maybe.....pay attention to my body for any signs of change......maybe. Ovarian Cancer (Abnormal PAP in May, back to normal in Nov) and Chrohn's (sp) disease. Weight gain is a symptom of both. So Im scared about that.

Partner macherry

Jan 7, 2008, 3:45 PM
Post #14 of 47 (8749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those are two good reasons to see your physician. Also, consider stress and other things happening in your life that can affect how your body is working.

A pap smear isn't a test for ovarian cancer, it's a check for cervical abnormalities. I've had a couple of abnormal smears, one after childbirth and another about 8 years ago that could have been a lab issue. Both were nothing to worry about. But, i was consistent with getting tests every 6 months. OVarian cancer is detected by a series of tests including ultrasound and blood tests.

as for the elimination thing, it could be irritible bowel syndrome or stress or some other diet issue. but, seeing a doctor is a good thing

tigerlilly

Jan 7, 2008, 3:54 PM
Post #15 of 47 (8747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefoxgirl wrote:
So my sugars would be alcohol...

That's a big one. There are a whole lotta' empty calories in alcohol. If you don't want to go on the wagon completely, at least cut back the quantity.

Kathy

stonefoxgirl

Jan 7, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #16 of 47 (8743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tigerlilly wrote:
stonefoxgirl wrote:

That's a big one. There are a whole lotta' empty calories in alcohol. If you don't want to go on the wagon completely, at least cut back the quantity.

Kathy

Yep Yep. Now do you think that there is a difference between what is consumed? Wine vs. Beer vs. Mixed Drink?

maww

Jan 7, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #17 of 47 (8738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there's a difference in the type of alcohol you consume but I don't know for sure.

I 2nd (or 3rd, etc) what everyone else has said: fit in some more cardio and add weight training. Weights will have a very noticeable impact on how your body looks. You should slim down quickly (in terms of clothes sizes).

Don't worry about weight as much as how your clothes fit and your BMI (body mass index).

I'm 5'1" and weigh anywhere from 108-113. But I'm between a 0-4 in clothes...sometimes I wear kids' sizes too which are even smaller.

Get active, cut back on the alcohol and get to your doctor if you're worried about disease causing this.

RC.com is no place to get medical advice my dear!Blush

stonefoxgirl

Jan 7, 2008, 4:19 PM
Post #18 of 47 (8733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I certainly don't use RC for medical issues. I have appointments for my concerns but they are for next month - I added the info because I felt it was important. So basically, what Im gonna do is move more, even when I don't want to. Blah, I hate this part, I'll check back - let ya'll know how it goes......

maww

Jan 7, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #19 of 47 (8724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you! Little by little you will get there. :)

Partner macherry

Jan 7, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #20 of 47 (8715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefoxgirl wrote:
I certainly don't use RC for medical issues. I have appointments for my concerns but they are for next month - I added the info because I felt it was important. So basically, what Im gonna do is move more, even when I don't want to. Blah, I hate this part, I'll check back - let ya'll know how it goes......

i hear ya on the motivation, especially with work, my workout time suffers. But, i tend to move more when i'm teaching skiing, like lifting up overweight adults who are trying to learn to ski and holding on to little ones on the way down.

stonefoxgirl

Jan 7, 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #21 of 47 (8711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
stonefoxgirl wrote:

i hear ya on the motivation, especially with work, my workout time suffers. But, i tend to move more when i'm teaching skiing, like lifting up overweight adults who are trying to learn to ski and holding on to little ones on the way down.

So we get this great dump, about 2 feet of snow, my skis are all ready then it frickin rains and now it's 65.
I think leaving OHio is going to be a blessing when it happens. I might as well go to the lake and do some laps.Unsure

iamthewallress

Jan 7, 2008, 7:23 PM
Post #22 of 47 (8684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

W/ your schedule, I can't imagine when you study let alone work out!

Perhaps you could work less and have more time to put into doing exercise and whatever else you do to take care of your physical well being (and studying!)

My student loans are the cheapest money that I've got. In other words, a relatively low-earning bank CD would earn more than my loans cost, so I'm paying them off as slowly as I can.

Other than that...I always studied w/ the biggest Diet Coke I could find (a grazing blocker of sorts...and I love it so), and tried to take a run in the a.m. even when I was totally tired from studying the night before (so that I didn't drop the habit).

rmsusa

Jan 7, 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #23 of 47 (8682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure you have a scale in the bathroom and that you use it each day. Just knowing the number will help you keep it under control without really thinking about it. Works for me. Your schedule seems BRUTAL. Good Luck.

erisspirit

Jan 7, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #24 of 47 (8677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefoxgirl wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:
stonefoxgirl wrote:

Kathy

Yep Yep. Now do you think that there is a difference between what is consumed? Wine vs. Beer vs. Mixed Drink?

Yep there is a difference. Wine is the lowest calorie, followed by beer, then by liquor. If you are concerned with weight loss, trying cutting back as well as switching to wine when you do. If your social drinking is generally more than 1-2 drinks, perhaps splurge on a quality bottle, so rather than going for the quantity, you slow down and enjoy a glass or two of a high quality wine. As for beer try to find light ones you like, and avoid mixed drinks where there can also be sodas, simple syrup, juice that may not be 100% juice etc...

(This post was edited by erisspirit on Jan 7, 2008, 7:42 PM)

erisspirit

Jan 7, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #25 of 47 (8663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Weight Gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah. I also find when I am really active I eat a lot, then when I'm not as active sometimes I forget that I need a lot less food, or my body thinks its hungry but its just used to being fed :P

here are some tips, because I love eating right, but hate "dieting"

- try drinking a glass of water before eating your meal, it will remove any hunger feelings you have that are more from dehydration or the idea of wanting food.

- when hungry for a snack drink a glass of water and wait 5-10 min to see if your still hungry. sometimes its all you need

- start with the healthiest part of the meal first so if you get full you have consumed fewest calories and the highest nutritional value of the meal

- eat slowly

- at home use a small plate... you can always get more food later

- you already eat healthy, but if you find anything that may not be, try to find a substitution like you have in the case of raisins for sugar)

- lots and lots of healthy snacks. Smaller meals several times a day are great. I know I'm also a stress, boredom, studier snacker, so I provide myself with celery and things I can eat just for the sake of eating without guilt

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook