Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 4:13 AM
Post #1 of 105 (26960 views)
Shortcut

Engagement Rings
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not that I'm anywhere close to getting engaged yet...just been looking at rings, and have been wondering how on earth you chose the ring that you're supposed to wear for the rest of your life.

I think we'ree going to get ours made custom, but can't afford to spend a forture. We're planning on a pretty economic wedding, and the boy has commited to spending no more than 1G on a ring (which, sounds like plenty, but after looking at some...OMG!!$$$)

So can custom be an affordable way to go if we go with some small town back woods jewler? What's your ring story?

Rocknovice

Jan 8, 2008, 4:28 AM
Post #2 of 105 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Engagement Rings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have your heart set on a diamond I suggest looking for a conflict free diamond if possible:

http://www.conflictfreediamonds.org/

When we got married, I was not aware of the whole blood diamond issue and got a small diamond. He bought me a larger one on our 5 year anniversary and I had the original made into a pendant for a necklace. I had my wedding band made from jewelry that was given to me by my family. I melted down the gold and had the diamonds set in the band as a reminder of my family history joining with my new future. If cash is tight, go with a band you will love and get a stone later when finances permit. Best wishes and good luck.

wes_allen

Jan 8, 2008, 4:30 AM
Post #3 of 105 (26953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diamond engagement rings are not that great to me. Mostly just some marketing the diamond industry came up with. Lots of good reading on the subject on the net, just do some work with google, and her is one to get you started: http://www.slate.com/id/2167870

My Fiancee's mother is from Brazil, and the way they (and many other cultures) do things is pretty cool to me: Once engaged, the couple picks out and buys the wedding bands. Both wear their ring on the right hand, then switch during the wedding. So, that is the way we are doing it, which is cool, and we take the money that we would have spent (3 months salary? NOT) and use it for a trip, or other stuff.

(This post was edited by wes_allen on Jan 8, 2008, 4:31 AM)

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 4:31 AM
Post #4 of 105 (26952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rocknovice] Engagement Rings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohh, thats a good point....what about NOT a diamond?

Cute idea about upgrading the ring but still using the old one.

Oh, and the $ figure is because he has 3 years backpay coming to him from an old job, so its like money from nowhere that he's just going to set aside. Would be nice to come in under budget!

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Jan 8, 2008, 4:33 AM)

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 4:44 AM
Post #5 of 105 (26943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Not that I'm anywhere close to getting engaged yet...just been looking at rings, and have been wondering how on earth you chose the ring that you're supposed to wear for the rest of your life.

I think we'ree going to get ours made custom, but can't afford to spend a forture. We're planning on a pretty economic wedding, and the boy has commited to spending no more than 1G on a ring (which, sounds like plenty, but after looking at some...OMG!!$$$)

So can custom be an affordable way to go if we go with some small town back woods jewler? What's your ring story?

If he gave you a ring out of crackerjack box would you say no?

I'm guessing the answer to that question is 'no.' So then it really doesn't matter. You can always get a bigger ring later on when money's more readily available and if it's a sentimental value thing, you put the stone from the ring he originally gave you in as a side stone in the setting.

Good luck, and I better get an invite to the wedding... so I can get drunk and make a gibberish laiden toast pretending to have known you for years and then later get into a fist fight with some of your guests which will result in a door being pulled off of a guests car in the parking lot (which is how other peoples weddings usually end for me).

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 4:59 AM
Post #6 of 105 (26936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Engagement Rings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I'm guessing the answer to that question is 'no.' So then it really doesn't matter. You can always get a bigger ring later on when money's more readily available and if it's a sentimental value thing, you put the stone from the ring he originally gave you in as a side stone in the setting.

Good luck, and I better get an invite to the wedding... so I can get drunk and make a gibberish laiden toast pretending to have known you for years and then later get into a fist fight with some of your guests which will result in a door being pulled off of a guests car in the parking lot (which is how other peoples weddings usually end for me).

It would be a BBQ/picnic/kegger style wedding, so those kind of antics would only be appropriate.

I'm not big into jewelry, but a wedding/engagement ring symbolizes so much. So no, the cost doesn't matter to me, but i know what I want.

The best I've found so far is this:

which is pretty spot on, except i'd want a MUCH smaller stone and maybe make it more symmetrical.

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 105 (26931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

It would be a BBQ/picnic/kegger style wedding, so those kind of antics would only be appropriate.

I'm not big into jewelry, but a wedding/engagement ring symbolizes so much. So no, the cost doesn't matter to me, but i know what I want.

The best I've found so far is this:

which is pretty spot on, except i'd want a MUCH smaller stone and maybe make it more symmetrical.

Just don't go with emerald cuts. If you get him to get something with lots of facets you can get a bigger stone for less money (since color and clarity are less important).

A $1,000 may still be a stretch (maybe move up to 2,000 or 2,500 which for a square or princess cut stone would put you around .5 total carat weight). My brother just spend $12,000 and its not even 1 carat total weight.

Having been engaged twice and married for 6 years I've spent a lot of #5 C4's on clear shiny stones which aren't even rated for body weight. I'll offer all the advice I can.

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 5:15 AM
Post #8 of 105 (26923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
... My brother just spend $12,000 and its not even 1 carat total weight....

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 5:20 AM
Post #9 of 105 (26918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

That's what I said... that's like 170 #5's give or take.

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 5:30 AM
Post #10 of 105 (26913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

No shit, and thats more than I make in a year!

^^^student. Frown

erisspirit

Jan 8, 2008, 5:33 AM
Post #11 of 105 (26910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

YIKES!!! and here I was thinking I would be lucky to have that much for a wedding AND honeymoom... I can't imagine have that much money on a finger

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 5:40 AM
Post #12 of 105 (26906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Engagement Rings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

YIKES!!! and here I was thinking I would be lucky to have that much for a wedding AND honeymoom... I can't imagine have that much money on a finger

So, your brother....does he, um, have like.....another brother? A single one?

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 5:41 AM
Post #13 of 105 (26906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

No shit, and thats more than I make in a year!

^^^student. Frown

He's probably not a good example... he has a two bedroom apartment that he needed to outfit with three 60 inch flat screen tv's with x-box 360's hooked up to each one. He was bored yesterday so he bought an Infinity.

I don't quite get how he gets away with this stuff...

I know what he makes so I guess the only thing I can come up with is that crime does in fact pay.

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #14 of 105 (26900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

I'm sure I could get him to rethink things... though you have to accept that you'd be second fiddle to Guitar Hero III and Rock Band...

Oh and he locks himself in his den on Sundays during football season and no one is allowed to talk to him...

Oh and he wears nothing but valour running suits and calls everybody 'bitch.'

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 5:50 AM
Post #15 of 105 (26894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

I'm sure I could get him to rethink things... though you have to accept that you'd be second fiddle to Guitar Hero III and Rock Band...

Oh and he locks himself in his den on Sundays during football season and no one is allowed to talk to him...

Yeah, but think about how many cams I could get by selling off the ring? Sounds like he wouldn't notice if it were suddenly replaced by cubic zirconia...

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Jan 8, 2008, 5:50 AM)

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 5:51 AM
Post #16 of 105 (26892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

I dunno... My wedding cost $35,000 and I got married on Friday... everything is so fucking expensive out here... I gotta move.

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 5:52 AM
Post #17 of 105 (26888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

I dunno... My wedding cost $35,000 and I got married on Friday... everything is so fucking expensive out here... I gotta move.

I still don't believe you have a real life. It's a farce.

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 5:57 AM
Post #18 of 105 (26887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

Yeah, but think about how many cams I could get by selling off the ring? Sounds like he wouldn't notice if it were suddenly replaced by cubic zirconia...

Yeah he wouldn't notice... you'd have to set your hair on fire and run screaming through the house to get him to notice shit... you want me to talk to him?

Oh, I forgot to mention... he's tattoo'd from his neck to his waste like a mexican gang banger... I keep waiting to see 'RIP Hector' on there somewhere. I'm sure it's gonna show up eventually...

Oh and seeing as how you'd be my sister-in-law, I'm gonna dump my kids on you all the time... the middle one bites so watch out for that.

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 5:58 AM
Post #19 of 105 (26884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

I still don't believe you have a real life. It's a farce.

Yeah, I try to explain this stuff to people all the time and no one ever believes me. Trust me, my life is as absurd as it sounds. You can't make this stuff up.

carabiner96

Jan 8, 2008, 6:01 AM
Post #20 of 105 (26880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So if thats what he's like (yes, clearly organized crime is the only answer) whats the fiancee like?

and way to hijack my thread, ass-pirate.

jgloporto

Jan 8, 2008, 6:05 AM
Post #21 of 105 (26876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
So if thats what he's like (yes, clearly organized crime is the only answer) whats the fiancee like?

and way to hijack my thread, ass-pirate.

Surprisingly normal... she's an accountant of all fucking things.

and did you really want a thread about clarity and color ratings? Alright maybe you did...

Back to the BET.

timd

Jan 8, 2008, 8:27 AM
Post #22 of 105 (26863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about this, $999.99 from Kay Jewlers
Attachments: 150729705_MV_LG.jpg (5.79 KB)

wes_allen

Jan 8, 2008, 1:13 PM
Post #23 of 105 (26848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have shot a couple weddings that were easy 80k+, not counting rings and honeymoon. And I have shot some they were just as nice, that cost a whole lot less. We are getting married at Torrent Falls in the red, catering by Miguel's and Mark's BBQ, honeymoon in Yellowstone (still winter rates in April). So, hope to be under 5-6K for everything, including rings. $1500 isn't much these days for a "wedding reception", but just think of the killer party you could throw for your friends with that much, which is kinda how we are looking at it.

granite_grrl

Jan 8, 2008, 1:34 PM
Post #24 of 105 (26843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:

Honestly, I think most engagment rings are overrated. I didn't get one and I didn't want one.

But our wedding bands mean so much to me. When I met Nathan I had a cheaper ring that was sterling siver knoted into a figure-8. I would tall Nathan it was my climbing ring.

Fast forward into the long distance relantionship....I slip the ring into his chalk bag when he's leaving from one of his visits. I ment it to be a chalk bag charm. He was worried he'd loss it so he put it on a necklace and wore it.

Fast forward to us living together. He still has and wears that cheap sterling silver ring on a necklace. We decide to get married and have custom wedding bands. His idea: take the knot from the cheap ring and use that as a base design for our bands. The knot had to be made of two ropes...two lives tied together and all that jazz.

A few trips to the custom jewler later, we come out with two beautiful matching bands. They're nice and thick to show off the design, but doesn't really leave room for an engagment ring on my finger.

Total price: $1500 for two rings (and it took a lot of gold to make his). When I get older and I have more occasions to dress all fancy (and we're more finacially stable) I might get my sparklies. But I don't see the point right now.

granite_grrl

Jan 8, 2008, 1:36 PM
Post #25 of 105 (26839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Engagement Rings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The rings look a lot like this one, but with a figure-8 knot circling the band instead:

I looked a lot at celtic knot designs, I really like the styles in general.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook