Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

exostratics

Jan 14, 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #1 of 32 (3245 views)
Shortcut

Help me pick a pack!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Need some help picking a backpack. Looking for something to carry climbing gear, a day or two of food, aqua, etc you know the basics. I've been leaning towards a North Face Terra 40, but hey I'm asking for help cause I need it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HarklessDO

Jan 14, 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #2 of 32 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [exostratics] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would look in the Kelty line. I haven't looked for a while so I can't give you a model that I would reccomend but prices are great, customer service is excellent, and quality is top notch.
I actually have a north face pack as my big pack but there quality has gone way down since they became the favorite of every college kid with to much money or a new credit card.
There are many good packs out there but Kelty in my mind is best bang for your buck. For an extended day or just a big rack I love my Kelty Redwing for what its worth.
Not sure if this will help but my two cents

gunkiemike

Jan 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #3 of 32 (3234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HarklessDO] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just about every pack mfr will have something that would be fine for the job. So here's a suggestion - turn away from the big companies and support a real climber who's totally a part of the climbing community, and who just happens to make great stuff. I suggest a CiloGear 40L or 45L It's good karma IMO.

moditup

Jan 14, 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #4 of 32 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the Terra 40. It's good for multi-pitch and cragging, but not for backpacking. It fits a rack and a rope, or a rope and clothing, or food and rope, etc., with room to spare. It's pretty damn comfortable. I like that it's hydration compatible and the water bottle pockets are easy to get at. It also has a narrow profile, so that makes it a little tall--if you're climbing with a loaded pack, the back of your head will hit the lid when looking up.

My general climbing setup is generally leader carries the rack and the second carries this pack with rope, water, clothing and guidebook for a one-day outing. It won't fit a sleeping bag or tent very easily, unless you've got super compressible gear. Good for long hikes or multi-pitch or cragging, not for mountaineering or backpacking.

So.. on that line, has anyone used the High Peak Tibet?

http://highpeakusa.org/backpacks/tibet.html (Scroll down a touch).

[end threadjack]

exostratics

Jan 14, 2008, 1:18 AM
Post #5 of 32 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Just about every pack mfr will have something that would be fine for the job. So here's a suggestion - turn away from the big companies and support a real climber who's totally a part of the climbing community, and who just happens to make great stuff. I suggest a CiloGear 40L or 45L It's good karma IMO.

Thats a great pack and I'd love to get it. Problem is, the review says its in the $130ish range, but their new 2008 model is 175, too rich for my blood. Maybe they have a student discount?

climbingaggie03

Jan 14, 2008, 1:36 AM
Post #6 of 32 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a bit confused on what you are using this pack for, are you using it for climbing? or backpacking? I'm mostly confused why you might need 2 days worth of food, but no tent/sleeping bag ect. If you can clarify the use, you will probably get better help.

you might look at the jansport whittaker LR

IF you want something smaller, I have a buddy who loves his REI Pinnacle pack

exostratics

Jan 14, 2008, 1:41 AM
Post #7 of 32 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was hoping that by expressing the need for more than one day of food, the responders would assume that I would also need gear for more than one day thus needing tent etc. I have a 6000 cubic inch external frame pack that I use for extended trips.

What I am exactly looking for in this back is for it to be big enough for an overnighter with climbing gear but not so large that I would look ridiculous using it for a one day trip with gear.

The CiloGear 40L sounds great, just too pricey. I'm looking to stay below $140.

retro

Jan 14, 2008, 1:42 AM
Post #8 of 32 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

exostratics wrote:
Thats a great pack and I'd love to get it. Problem is, the review says its in the $130ish range, but their new 2008 model is 175, too rich for my blood. Maybe they have a student discount?

Worth every Penny. They extend to 60+L, are totally adjustable and carry like no other pack you will wear. I agree with you, in that $170 still is a lot of money, but take the Arc'Teryx Arcteryx Silo 40 Ski Pack at $200, Mountain Hardwear Windpack Backpack at $219.95, etc...it really is at a reasonable pricepoint for all the options that you get...and the Cilogear comes in at almost a pound lighter than most packs its size. Above all that, you get second to none customer service that backs up their product 100%.

I understand the money thing, but definitely don't close the door on these packs yet. Wink

(This post was edited by retro on Jan 14, 2008, 1:44 AM)

HarklessDO

Jan 14, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #9 of 32 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To follow up on my earlier comment I would check out campmors deals on Keltys. There are multiple sizes with various features at great deals.

jermanimal

Jan 14, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #10 of 32 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I swear by Gregory. Even for a little bit more, they are better then spending more on what you really want next year. I don't own one, but have had my eye on a Adze, Ekko and Advent Pro. I am having trouble justifying it though, because my Shasta compress enough to avoid the "tool" image.

Which ever pack you get, think about the $30 extra dollars now for exactly the pack you want/need and will use for the next 15+ years.

socalclimber

Jan 14, 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #11 of 32 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jermanimal] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll chip in. I own an Arcteryx Bora 80. Hands down the best pack I've ever owned. There a bit pricey, but worth every penny.

generationfourth

Jan 14, 2008, 5:39 PM
Post #12 of 32 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love my deuter futura pro 42. It's $130 at backcountry. If you go with last years futura 42 (it's yellow) you can find them for $100. The pro is the 2008 model and about 5-6 ounces lighter I believe.

Great pack for cragging, comfortable, lots of good pockets for organization. Great value.

anykineclimb

Jan 14, 2008, 6:31 PM
Post #13 of 32 (2984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [generationfourth] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another vote for Cilogear packs. great stuff!

wax

Jan 14, 2008, 7:03 PM
Post #14 of 32 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mec.ca/...;bmUID=1200336980010

$99

gunkiemike

Jan 14, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #15 of 32 (2910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

exostratics wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:

You could email Graham (ciloinfo@gmail.com) and ask. He sometimes has last year's models and demos available for discounted prices.

theclimbergirl

Jan 14, 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #16 of 32 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [generationfourth] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the endorsement of Deuter packs in general (but am intrigued to learn more about Cilogear and will be looking them up). I adore my future 42 (the yellow one). It may be smaller than what you're looking for, but I use mine as an all-day crag pack and it is super comfortable even for a whiny hiker like me. It's widely adjustable, so it fits a large range of users (in my experience). Climbing partners who toss it on are surprised by the comfort even with a heavy load.

jermanimal

Jan 15, 2008, 5:13 AM
Post #17 of 32 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can't vogue for quality, but cheap. Though about this thread looking through gearx sales....

http://gearx.com/camp-campack-40-climbing-pack.html

canyon8

Jan 15, 2008, 7:15 AM
Post #18 of 32 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cilogear. These packs rock.

dps

Jan 16, 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #19 of 32 (2756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [canyon8] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the Cilogear recommendation. I have been really happy with mine.

I just wrote up a of the V2.5 45L on Mountainproject.com:
V2.5 Cilogear Worsack Review

(This post was edited by dps on Jan 16, 2008, 5:29 PM)

durangoclimber

Jan 16, 2008, 5:54 PM
Post #20 of 32 (2736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OSPREY...OSPREY...OSPREY. I worked (part time) in the "industry" for years and still remain pretty unbiased but I do have to say that the Osprey's are great packs. I also dig (and own the regular and spectra models) Wild Things Andanista. Real no bells and whilstles on this one though. Good luck.

dretket

Jan 22, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #21 of 32 (2584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My vote goes to either the Mountain Hardwear Phenom or Trance backpacks. The phenom is the smaller of the two and makes an excellent day pack. If you are looking for a little bit more room, check out the trance. This is the one I have, and I love it Its large enough where I can carry my climbing stuff along with my girlfriends stuff. I still have enough room for an extra jacket for each of us, food, water, and anything else (i.e. my bulky SLR, video camera, ect...) The Trance also has gear loops, swappable padded waist belt (switches to harness friendly webbing), removable back panal for use as a bivy pad, and rope/crampon carrier in the hood. The pack isnt too terribly heavy, weighing in at little over 3 lbs. Its made of a really tough denier fabric that seems to be holding up really well.

jeremy11

Jan 23, 2008, 3:20 AM
Post #22 of 32 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy Cilogear or buy twice Wink

dudemanbu

Jan 23, 2008, 3:24 AM
Post #23 of 32 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

durangoclimber wrote:
OSPREY...OSPREY...OSPREY. I worked (part time) in the "industry" for years and still remain pretty unbiased but I do have to say that the Osprey's are great packs. I also dig (and own the regular and spectra models) Wild Things Andanista. Real no bells and whilstles on this one though. Good luck.

Ospreys are definitely the best ventilated packs out there.. which translates to much more comfortable long approaches. Not to mention they're also pretty light and loaded with features.

tallndorky

Jan 23, 2008, 4:31 AM
Post #24 of 32 (2492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my osprey pack, but my girlfriends Lowe Alpine pack is really nice, she says it is supper comfortable and it has just the right features for cragging.

This one is similar to hers:

http://www.rei.com/...utlet/product/765531

jmeizis

Jan 23, 2008, 4:50 AM
Post #25 of 32 (2481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallndorky] Help me pick a pack! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear a lot of people suggesting the Cilo Gear packs. A word of caution. It sounds like you're not just going cragging. I've had my Cilo Gear pack for less than a year and I'm easily destroying it. I've ripped the shroud, the velcro flap on the inside is coming undone. All the straps are ripping at the seams, had to repair the shoulder straps recently, It's had several wholes torn in it from trees and ice tools and such. If you're looking for light weight and versatility they kick ass. I can either fit everything inside or strap it on the outside in one way or another. If you beat the crap out of gear though and are looking for something that will last for a while maybe look at something different.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook