RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

wax

Jan 24, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #1 of 24 (4100 views)
Shortcut

a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey gym owners and employees,

i'm a bit of a cave rat and tend to boulder more than anything else in the gym. Anyway, at my local spot, pretty much eerybody who uses the bouldering area is very considerate and do their best to keep it safe (i.e.: by spotting, wrning other when they might be attempting something which may result in a fall, that sorta thing...) except now there is a new group of burly guys who tend to swing and dyno wildly from pretty much everything. Our cave isn't that big, and thus this sorta style of climbing tends to lead to A LOT of near misses. Thankfully nobody has been hurt yet, however when a number of us have tried to ask them to watch out, or spot and be aware of others in the bouldering area, we generally tend to be casualy blown off (the "yeah, yeah, whatever..." kind of response).

Anyway, it is getting a bit out of hand and I am wondering how Gym Owners and / or Employees would go about handling this in a civil manner.

thanks!

~f

dvd

Jan 24, 2008, 2:24 PM
Post #2 of 24 (4065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wax] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in the paraphrased words of Carlin: "Poof, Oh look, they nearly missed."

shimmer

Jan 24, 2008, 2:29 PM
Post #3 of 24 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wax] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately, if the gym staff is allowing it, all you can really do is wait until one of them gets hurt.

Or you can try climbing when they're not there.

(This post was edited by shimmer on Jan 24, 2008, 2:30 PM)

reg

Jan 24, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #4 of 24 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wax wrote:
.....except now there is a new group of burly guys.......
Anyway, it is getting a bit out of hand and I am wondering how Gym Owners and / or Employees would go about handling this in a civil manner.

thanks!

~f

civility will not rule the day Wink

wax

Jan 24, 2008, 2:38 PM
Post #5 of 24 (4043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimmer] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, it's not so much that the staff are aware and not doing anything abouit it, they just generally pay no mind to the cave. Am just wondering the best way to approach them.

as for climbing when they are not there... that's kinda tough. they just kinda show up while we are already climbing and start to flail and swing wildly. I don't want to say outright that they should be climbing, because everybody should be allowed to climb (regardless of skill), but it is coming to the point where if they are bouldering, nobody else can.

shimmer

Jan 24, 2008, 3:24 PM
Post #6 of 24 (4000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Then yeah, mention your concern quietly to the manager, and ask him or her to say something to the group, or suggest that one of the staff give them a sort of "Bouldering 101" class.

The waivers in the gym I go to include a line about agreeing not to be a retard and endanger other people, is that in y'all's gym's agreement?

jermanimal

Jan 24, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #7 of 24 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wax wrote:
well, it's not so much that the staff are aware and not doing anything abouit it, they just generally pay no mind to the cave. Am just wondering the best way to approach them.

Oh come on, if you have a fly in your soup do you go online and post a thread about how to complain to the waiter.

You paid to be there, go bitch about it to the staff.

durangoclimber

Jan 24, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #8 of 24 (3962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ran a gym for about 4 years in the Dallas area before moving to Durango. Worked in gyms for about 8 years. Put the ball in the owner/employees court. Bring up the issue and ask them nicely (at first) to please do something about it. If they are worth a damn they will handle it.

andy64

Jan 24, 2008, 4:04 PM
Post #9 of 24 (3953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deal with it yourself

wax

Jan 24, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #10 of 24 (3909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andy64] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everybody for the constructive replies... i agree that this should be something that the gym management should partake in in regards to resolving the situation. this group also tends to endanger the sport climbers as well in the gym (like, get off your cell phone and pay out some slack!).

as for the fly in the soup comment, that was a pretty witty of announcing you don't care... i wish i was that creative Crazy

roy_hinkley_jr

Jan 24, 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #11 of 24 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got any hottie climber chicks at the gym? Have them shout out "the bigger the flail, the smaller the dick!" Nothing crushes the male ego faster than a good put-down from a cute girl ;-)

wax

Jan 24, 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

they have been... by several cute girls

i'm not sure what drives these guys, but it ain't the dick.

lancebrock

Jan 24, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #13 of 24 (3766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it sounds like the staff need to understand it is a problem and since you paid to be there, too. keep going up the chain until you reach the owner. i would say something like, "there are 10 regular paying members who are tired of not getting to climb because these guys are being dangerous." make sure to let them know the few are bothering the many.

after several warnings, we tell people they arent welcome any more. flaunting safety rules is not worth any price.

lance

wax

Jan 25, 2008, 1:53 PM
Post #14 of 24 (3675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lancebrock] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks lance... that's what i figured too. i know several of the staff at my gym don't concern themselves too much with safety or the wellbeings of the members, but the more senior staff do.

~f

asellers98

Jan 28, 2008, 6:29 AM
Post #15 of 24 (3523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it were me. I would tell them straight up. Lets work something out, your climbing style is dangerous to those around you. Either you guys work out a deal, and be safe, or I will get management involved.

Better to always handle your own issues, not only for the respect aspect from everyone involved and viewing the situation, but it formulates a good foundation to better climbing communications amongst all.

MonkeyInTraining

Jan 28, 2008, 8:44 AM
Post #16 of 24 (3504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asellers98] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure what I would say to get the managment involved, I agree its their job to keep their business safe, but if they arent doing it then I expect they will find the safety minded customer annoying. Most people know when they are slacking and are trying to enjoy it without being bothered.

bottom line is gyms suck, but not as bad as not climbing at all.

Wish my gym gave a !#@!@ bout safety. I landed on someone running underneath me the other day and people regularly leave their harness and water bottles and crap right below others bouldering. I am not looking forward to the accident I know is coming. I hope I am not involved and dont have to see or hear anything too awfull.

IMHO climbing indoors is more dangerous due to the idiots all around you.

wax

Jan 28, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #17 of 24 (3480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MonkeyInTraining] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fair enough... unfortunately being an idiot is not illegal. and don't even get me started on large children parties in the gym.

Partner packclimber

Jan 28, 2008, 9:29 PM
Post #18 of 24 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

#11 Hex upside the head would work

krusher4

Jan 28, 2008, 9:57 PM
Post #19 of 24 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimmer] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimmer wrote:
Then yeah, mention your concern quietly to the manager, and ask him or her to say something to the group, or suggest that one of the staff give them a sort of "Bouldering 101" class.

The waivers in the gym I go to include a line about agreeing not to be a retard and endanger other people, is that in y'all's gym's agreement?

LOL, I went to the spot in Boulder, CO for the first time a few days ago and they do have bouldering intro, 101, 102. (Im sure you were ref. that) To take the next class you have to be able to climb a certain "red dot" level and know climbing terms.

jermanimal

Jan 28, 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #20 of 24 (3374 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wax wrote:
thanks everybody for the constructive replies... i agree that this should be something that the gym management should partake in in regards to resolving the situation. this group also tends to endanger the sport climbers as well in the gym (like, get off your cell phone and pay out some slack!).

as for the fly in the soup comment, that was a pretty witty of announcing you don't care... i wish i was that creative Crazy

Hey, it is not that I don't care, but I think you are sensationalizing this thing.

You would have a real issue if the guys that were swinging all over the place WERE the owners.

Fenst

Feb 19, 2008, 7:19 AM
Post #21 of 24 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MonkeyInTraining] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like we go to the same gym. People (especially little unsupervised children) are always running under boulderers at my gym. Dogs are a issue too. I found a dog about to lift it's leg and pee on my stuff the other day. Route setters at my gym constantly leave holds laying beside the pads. And they leave step ladders up next to problems while others continue to boulder around the ladder. I dont really want to see my gym shut down after a hefty lawsuit. I, too, am waiting to see a aweful accident like a spinal injury after someone dismounts a boulder problem, bounces off a teenagers head, lands on a dog, the dog knocks over a ladder back on to the climber while holds and a drill left on the ladder continue to take out other boulderers while they scramble and twist their ankles on holds laying on the ground and puncture their bare feet on t-nuts and get carpet burns all over their nearly naked bodies from face planting. I would hate to see it. I'm sure it happens though. I have seen tons of near misses. Be safe!

wax

Feb 19, 2008, 1:44 PM
Post #22 of 24 (3057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fenst] a question to gym owners / emlpoyees about handling dangerous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

here's a bit of an update... a number of people, including myself, spoke to the more senior staff and explained the situation. Anyway, i guess this kid get a serious talking to too, cuz he's quite a bit more "calm" than he used to be.

(This post was edited by wax on Feb 25, 2008, 1:09 PM)

lxlmariuslxl

Feb 24, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #23 of 24 (2907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stopped going to the indoor gym for a long time b/c of the kids running around under me. It was a big problem and I just got sick of it. Now i go back b/c it was taken care of,but a lot of people just stopped going and they started to lose business.

snowboardercolo

Feb 27, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #24 of 24 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Talk to the staff and then if that doesn't work, talk to the owner. When you sign a waiver it only covers the gym against accidents if they are made aware of an unsafe action then they have to act on it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook