Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bigdan

Feb 3, 2008, 6:20 AM
Post #26 of 33 (2833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clintcummins] update on sci [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clintcummins wrote:
It looks like Dan Russell hasn't posted in 3.5 years and his website is unregistered, so I doubt we will hear from him - but it would be cool if we did.

I found his initial post a bit sad, because he was hoping to get a full recovery, even though he had no movement in his hand after 5 weeks (while most other functions had returned). He did get a good recovery other than his hand.

I had a fracture and spinal cord bruise at T12 in 1978. It is a very different injury than yours, although it was similarly asymmetric and affected my left leg. I tried to keep conservative on my expectations for recovery. I knew I'd at least be able to get around in a wheelchair and walk with crutches if necessary. So my main goal was to be able to pee (fortunately that happened).

For quite awhile I was limited to walking and then eventually toproping. I didn't really expect to ever lead again, but I became solid enough and I try very hard to avoid falls.

My left foot is still weak; I can't lift it quite to 90 degrees. I can walk fairly normally and hike with an ankle brace. Rock climbing is not very high impact, so I can climb reasonably well (long free climbs, walls, etc.). I'm limited on some stuff that is foot intensive, like slab climbing, steep cracks under 2", fist and ow. But of course everyone has their limitations, whatever their source.

I think the key to having fun is to be able to surprise yourself sometimes, and enjoy the level you can achieve.

Wow, I haven't looked at this site in a few years. Tonight I do and am surprised to see my own thread on the second page!

I felt sad as well as I re-read my initial post. Sad because I'm still not climbing much and because I miss it so terribly sometimes. I never regained that deep strength, and spasticity affects my right hand such that climbing is extremely frustrating. I am hoping to do some aid climbing this spring though.

RH- how's it coming?

rhyang

Apr 22, 2008, 3:50 AM
Post #27 of 33 (2734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigdan] update on sci [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only just now looked back here ... Dan, I hope you've gotten out aid climbing !

I went to see my neurosurgeon 2 months ago - he advised me not to climb until August. OK fine.

I'm back to mountain-biking (carefully), long hikes and nontechnical mountaineering: spring ascents of Lassen and Shasta so far.

I'm lucky not to have spasticity or neuro pain, just weakness. The extensors on my left hand are weak, but the grip is ~75% of the right (as measured 2 months ago).

My gait is getting back to normal, though I tire more easily than before. I also seem to have problems with body temperature regulation on the left arm & leg. In colder weather I dress warmer and sometimes use chemical heat packs. We'll see what happens with warm weather ...

-Rob

dlintz

Apr 22, 2008, 4:16 AM
Post #28 of 33 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhyang] update on sci [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bigdan and RH-

I hope both of you are making the best of your situations. A lot of people would just roll over and give up. Best of luck to both of you.

d.

bigdan

Apr 22, 2008, 9:05 PM
Post #29 of 33 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A buddy and I are planning a weekend to Moab next month so we'll see how things go. Sounds like you've had good progress. Way to go!

maldaly

Apr 22, 2008, 9:36 PM
Post #30 of 33 (2679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey bigdan and ryang,
Check out our website at www.paradoxsports.org. We've been doing a lot of adaptive climbing programs for people with varying levels of gimpness. Log onto the forums and trade secrets/dreams and worries. Also log on over at supertopo.com. Steve Muse (museman) posts there. He's a para who is planning on climbing El Cap this year and has been practicing recently in JTree.

Keep it rolling,
Mal

rhyang

Apr 23, 2008, 4:21 AM
Post #31 of 33 (2652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] update on sci [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Mal, I went and registered over at paradoxsports.org.

btw Just to be picky, I've traded some email with Steve - he's actually an incomplete quad (the medical term now is 'tetraplegia'), as are Dan and I. A para is someone whose spinal cord is damaged at the thoracic level or below, a quad is a cervical injury. There is some more info on SCI here.

rhyang

Oct 9, 2008, 4:17 AM
Post #32 of 33 (2239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hope things have worked out for you so far !

I started rock climbing again about six weeks ago, after my neurosurgeon cleared me for toproping. I'd been doing yoga, balance exercises, core exercises, and working my left hand with gripmasters & therapy putty. And lots of cardio. I mostly went out and scrambled third class peaks in lieu of technical climbing this past summer.

I'm still a bit weaker in my left hand, moreso in my left leg. But it's been enough to start leading easy routes. I did my first trad lead on Labor Day, a nice 5.2 Blush .. some bolted slab routes about a week later (5.4 - 5.7), and a couple of 5.6 trad pitches. Just led my first 5.7 trad route last weekend in Yosemite.

After a year off my footwork and endurance sort of went to crap, but I'll just keep working on it. Before my accident I was a 5.7 leader, and working on 5.8. I'm told neurological recovery will take years, but no worries, the rock will still be there long after I am gone.

All in all, can't complain. If anyone else out there is facing this -- don't give up !

the_climber

Oct 14, 2008, 2:48 PM
Post #33 of 33 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great to hear you are making progress man!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook