RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

joeforte

Feb 5, 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #1 of 22 (3463 views)
Shortcut

First set of doubles
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so my girlfriend and I are tired of carrying our 2 10.5mm ropes around. We are going to buy a set of doubles. We will be mostly using them for multipitch trad, with the occasional alpine jaunt (ice and snow). I was going to buy a pair of Excellence 8.6mm, but I figured I'd ask if there were any better sets out there for our needs.

Also, is dry treatment worthwhile if we're going to be using them on a lot of rock? Will it just wear away after a few trips, or is it fairly durable?

(This post was edited by joeforte on Feb 5, 2008, 5:34 PM)

madrock

Feb 5, 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #2 of 22 (3402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would suggest going to a set of twin ropes (approx 8mm). You can manage them in the same way you do a single rope (clipped together) and will give you some experience before having to handle two ropes and the alternate clipping involved with douple ropes (approx 9mm). The terminology is often mixed up and used for either type but some skinny ropes are designed and tested to use in pairs and some are for use clipping them alternatly. Hope this does not make things more confusing for you. PM me if you need more help or a clearer explanation.

Joe

madrock

Feb 5, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #3 of 22 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Yea, most twins and doubles are produced with a dry treatment for mountaineering and ice climbing. It wont be needed for rock but you are more likely to find a great deal on a dry rope and might not even be able to find a standard finished model.

Joe

cameltoe

Feb 5, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #4 of 22 (3390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, hands down the best ropes I have used as doubles are the Genesis.. an abslutely fantastic rope..
i remember days otu at stannage where the confusion became as 5or 6parties in a row were using the same rope set..

Partner cracklover

Feb 5, 2008, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 22 (3383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cameltoe] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use and like the Mammut Genesis a lot also.

Know a number of folks who are very happy with Sterling doubles.

GO

yokese

Feb 5, 2008, 7:35 PM
Post #6 of 22 (3380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrock] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But the problem with twins is that they generate higher impact forces than singles and doubles, don't they?.

wmfork

Feb 5, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #7 of 22 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Over doubles? Yes, Over singles? Not really.

saxfiend

Feb 5, 2008, 8:16 PM
Post #8 of 22 (3327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I use and like the Mammut Genesis a lot also.
I also climb with the Genesis doubles and like them a lot. They're my standard rig on multi-pitch routes.

As to getting twins instead of doubles, I don't buy the argument made by the previous poster. Doubles technique really isn't difficult to learn, and alternate clipping gives you a lot of advantages (minimizing rope drag, for example) that you'll lose if you're using twins.

JL

dingus

Feb 5, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #9 of 22 (3323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used 8.1 mm doubles for more than a decade, treat em as a twin or a single for themajority of clips.

Its been a good compromise for me. I only use em when appropriate, perfer single cord for cragging etc.

DMT

yokese

Feb 5, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #10 of 22 (3319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
Over doubles? Yes, Over singles? Not really.

Interestingly, I just found this post by sterlingjim showing that doubles don't necessarily have such as big advantage over simples as I thought...

wmfork

Feb 5, 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #11 of 22 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, I bet rope A was a Beal Ice line, which is what I have. Interesting that it's the only rope w/ higher impact force than rated (though still the lowest of the group). Still, this does not show the impact force of a common lower factor fall.

Partner rgold

Feb 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #12 of 22 (3245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Although it is unlikely doubles (meaning half ropes) will provide lower impacts in test situations, there is a decent chance that in many climbing situations, you will get lower impacts, and I think this accounts for what seems to be a nearly universal perception.

The reason you may experience lower impacts in practice is related to the friction reduction ability of double ropes clipped appropriately (which is not necessarily alternately). With each strand running in a straighter line than would be possible with a single rope, there is less biner friction. The effect of biner friction is to essentially "shorten" the rope, making less of it available for full energy absorbtion, with the result that there is an effective fall factor greater than the H/L calculation (because H has stayed the same and L is effectively less). To the extent that double ropes mitigate this effect, they can provide lower impacts, even though they perform more or less the same in head-to-head testing.

At least that's what I think.

sspssp

Feb 5, 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #13 of 22 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps you already have, but if you haven't, you should do a search on the pros and cons of climbing with doubles. This has been well debated and I don't want to start it again, but it is worth thinking about.

I generally go with the lightest set of doubles I can find. The whole idea being to save weight. They will tend to wear out faster. You can find ropes that are rated for both twin and double use, perhaps not a bad option.

For that matter there is at least one rope (the Joker) that is rated for twin/double/single. It is heaver than most twin/doubles but it is a nice option, especially if you decide down the road that twins/doubles are not worthe the hassle.

My impression is that the standard dry treatment wears off pretty fast, but, if you believe the hype, it is supposedly getting better.

(This post was edited by sspssp on Feb 5, 2008, 11:14 PM)

stymingersfink

Feb 6, 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #14 of 22 (3157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, well, another here for the Beal 8.1mm Icelines, but a few caveats as well:

Use them for a couple of seasons on the ice before demoting them to your summer rock rope. Yes, the DWR will tend to wear off, your rope will get fuzzy, it will absorb more h2o.

Yes, they will wear faster than your 10.2 rope will... there's simply less surface area to spread the wear over, so it's not surprising that this occurs. The single-pict overlay on the sheath makes them slick as snot in the beginning, which is nice for some things, but for sheath durability it ain't.

When pulling your ropes down after a full-length rap, you'll notice that friction at the knot wears the sheath much faster if it's being pulled over rock vs. ice.

They're fricking ex-pen-sive... Especially when you consider that you've got to purchase two of them to make a whole rope! Your pocketbook will hate you, but if you give one to your wife for Valentine's Day (and she gives you one as well), it's probably less expensive than buying diamonds. Certainly less than buying diamonds AND a set of ropes.Wink

rgold's appraisal of the friction/ff reducing qualities of double-ropes clipped appropriately is spot on, IMHO.

My third set of Icelines are ready to be demoted to rock ropes, so for the next ice season I'll be climbing on a new set(!). This is both good and bad for the reasons outlined above.

vegastradguy

Feb 6, 2008, 1:34 AM
Post #15 of 22 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bluewater's excellence lines are just that- excellent. i beat the crap out of mine for 3 years before retiring them sort of by accident- i just got a new rope to review and never got around to climbing on them again. i still use them for trail lines, and like them so much for that duty, i'll drop the coin on them again when they finally need it.

for reference- i climbed on them for 3 years, once a week, probably 40 weeks a year, almost always grade III or bigger. after that, each one has probably spent 20 weeks a year as a trail line on grade III or bigger. one has a tiny bit of fuzz on it at the 15m mark on one side, the other is still pristine.

they handle great too- the hand is better than any other double rope i've ever tried or checked out.

joeforte

Feb 6, 2008, 3:12 AM
Post #16 of 22 (3084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you vegastradguy, I'm thinking we are going to buy a set of excellence ropes.

Oh and BTW, I already know double rope technique, and have no desire to ever climb with twin technique.

yokese

Feb 6, 2008, 7:34 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

And, once again, I totally agree with you. I'm seriously thinking on stop writing posts and just cite yours Wink

billcoe_

Feb 6, 2008, 3:55 PM
Post #18 of 22 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yokese wrote:
rgold wrote:

And, once again, I totally agree with you. I'm seriously thinking on stop writing posts and just cite yours Wink

Yup.

BTW, I'd look at the Metolius 7.8 Monster ropes. They have a great marking system, and are the lightest rated for both doubles and twins out there.

gargrantuan

Feb 6, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #19 of 22 (2948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

another vote for blue water's excellence 8.6mm ropes. i have been using them for trad, alpine, and ice for the last six months and have been very impressed. watch the rope stretch though.

vegastradguy

Feb 6, 2008, 5:39 PM
Post #20 of 22 (2924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gargrantuan] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gargrantuan wrote:
another vote for blue water's excellence 8.6mm ropes. i have been using them for trad, alpine, and ice for the last six months and have been very impressed. watch the rope stretch though.

yeah, they are gooey, i'll give 'em that!

tkambitsch

Mar 1, 2008, 4:35 PM
Post #21 of 22 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I came across this thread looking for reviews or comments about the Metolius 7.8 monster rope (rated for both half and twin). I've not found any other comments, but this thread did give me some good insights, and prompts me to ask what you all think about my logic of why I would want to buy dual rated (twin/half) ropes.

Like the original poster my partner and I would love to save some weight on multipitch routes. Plus it always seems a pain for the leader (always me) to simply drag a second rope or my partner to try and carry it in a day pack. But here is our unique situation.

We have 9 years of experience climbing together but we are neither strong nor are we aggressive. We enjoy 5.3 to 5.8 climbs and I tend to sew those routes up more than most. My partner is a big guy who often weighs in at over 240 lbs. and never leads.

So here is my logic: Since I rarely push much past my protection I am not very likely to have very high fall forces (once I get past that second piece) I could probably get by with twin techniques on fairly straightforward routes, with the half rope technique used on wandering routes.

My greater concern is of my partner coming off the ground or off that next ledge on those easy routes. I try to keep a tight leash on him at the start of each pitch since he can easily stretch out a wandering single rope by 20 ft. We often joke that he always free solos a good part of his climbs! So I am thinking that a twin rope situation would be an advantage with a shorter elongation. Half rope climbing could also reduce his "danger zone" by enabling straighter rope lines that would allow me to keep a tighter grip on him. And finally, the advantage of half rope climbing on traverses just make it all the more advantageous than our current single rope strategy.

Is there merit to my logic?

joeforte

Mar 2, 2008, 4:07 AM
Post #22 of 22 (2630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tkambitsch] First set of doubles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think half rope technique could help your rope-stretch issue a ton. I don't think there are many merits to twin technique on rock at all. I think it's main advantage comes into play only when you are swinging sharp objects around, and kicking crampons in below you.

You might want to reconsider the 7.8s though. Durability is going to be reduced a lot, especially if you think you might have a large man hanging from them.

BTW, I went with the Mammut Genesis ropes. They are one of the heavier doubles around (49gm/meter is still WAY lighter than singles), but I've read a lot of great reviews on them, and they seem to be the most durable. 49% of the rope structure is in the sheath if I recall correctly, which is a huge plus for me. I'll gladly carry a few extra ounces for the long term durability gained.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook