RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Partner hosh

Feb 10, 2008, 7:13 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1358 views)
Shortcut

recovery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So back in October, I tore my labrum (sp?). I've been laying low ever since, but last Thursday, I had surgery on the shoulder. Now I'm stuck with no arm for another 4 months (maybe more?). No climbing until at least late summer... sucks...

for what it's worth, the whole experience was really pleasant. The doctor who did the operation is the surgeon for the Seattle Mariners. He did a great job, so far as I can tell...

hosh.

moose_droppings

Feb 10, 2008, 7:40 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats terrible.

If anyone asks for the definition of 'sucks', I'm going to direct them to your post.

corson

Feb 10, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck to you and a speedy recovery! Good old fashioned SLAP repair I presume Unsure.Take it easy and be super diligent with the rehab. Aggressive but prudent.Good luck.
cheers
c

wildmanjdew

Feb 10, 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey know how you feel i messed my wrist up bad in nov. and had to have surgery, im down til the first of the summer. really sucksFrown

onceahardman

Feb 11, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Hosh...

Good Luck! sounds like you have the right kind of surgeon. Early ROM is important...understand the difference between stretching and ROM. Follow the surgeons recommendations, and as soon as you can range it, get going!

Usually pendulums are first, you may well be doing them already. Don't do too much, but DO ENOUGH.

It's going to hurt. I'd be surprised if you are sleeping much.

edited to add:
Please feel free to let me know if you have rehab questions. I assume you have a PT. Hopefully your PT treats athletes too. Many work in nursing homes and inpatient neuro-rehab places, where the treatment goals differ somewhat from yours.

edited agin to add:

Hosh...even though it seems stupid to do the earliest ROM to the hand, wrist, and elbow on the injured side, it really isn't. Do those too. Your overall recovery will be faster, by keeping the joint surfaces healthy in the other upper extremity joints.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Feb 11, 2008, 8:26 PM)

Partner hosh

Feb 14, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks... I take it you work in PT? So far (and I'm writing a week out from the operation), there's actually no pain and I'm sleeping a lot (more than I'd expect to with this huge contraption called a shoulder immobilizer). I have a doctor's appt. this afternoon in Juneau (I'm back from Seattle) and I should be getting my stitches out and hearing what PT will look like and how the recovery is going. I think the worst part of all this is that I can't play rough with my son until my shoulder starts to heal. That kills me more than not being able to climb.

For what it's worth, my super hot wife met me when I woke up from the operation with a new pair of Arc'teryx pants. How cool is that?

hosh.

Partner hosh

Feb 14, 2008, 5:20 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PS to add, the doctor I saw (Dr. Khalfayan) was aawesome and I would recommend him to anyone else who needs to do anything to their shoulder.

hosh.

dr_feelgood

Feb 16, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't have nearly the rehab that you do, but may i suggest a combination of anger/tenacity, heavy drinking, and posting in the BET? It worked for me. Of course, I couldn't quite walk, so there wasn't much else to do. You do get free sympathy drinks in bars if you show up on crutches.

onceahardman

Feb 17, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Hosh...

You are right about the work I do. I'm glad it's not too painful, Did you have a cuff injury too, or just the labrum?

Partner hosh

Feb 17, 2008, 3:48 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just the labrum, no problems with the rotator cuff or biceps tendon. But I tore my labrum to bits.

hosh.

Partner hosh

Feb 21, 2008, 6:36 AM
Post #11 of 13 (929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've started PT, and It's not all that bad. The pain is tolerable, and I'm sleeping fine (except for the fact that my son's sick so I really don't sleep at all). I've got almost no range of motion (ROM, right?) but I can feel it coming back. I see the PT again tomorrow, and so far so good! only about 5 and a half more months without climbing (I think?)

hosh.

onceahardman

Feb 21, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #12 of 13 (897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, ROM=range of motion.

I'm glad you've started PT. Keep in mind that ROM exercise is different from stretching. ROM moves the joint within its available range, and is not designed to directly increase available range.

Stretching IS designed to increase available range directly.

In practice, though, I think you will learn a few things in the coming few weeks. First, ROM exercise is highly underrated in rehabilitation. Second, just doing your daily ROM will increase your available range, even without stretching.

I hope you have a good PT who works with athletes. MOST of your PT sessions should be exercise-based, rather than modality-based. (modalities are things like heat, ice, ultrasound, e-stim, etc.) Modalities are OK for pain control, but you should be moving the joint.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Partner hosh

Feb 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #13 of 13 (838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so far, everything I'm doing is motion. I haven't done anything in PT other than move my shoulder. And for what it's worth, range of motion is increasing.

hosh.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook