RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

btreanor

Feb 28, 2008, 1:45 AM
Post #1 of 7 (963 views)
Shortcut

Cilogear Modifications and Questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I’ve got a few questions about Cilogear packs. Since I know there are other fans here, I thought some of you might have some insight.

(1) My V2 60L has a hard time holding its shape, even when packed well. The major issue is that the lid slides off the top and down the front (i.e., away from my back) side of the pack. This situation is really exacerbated when I have a rope over the top of the pack and under the lid. I know there is a “rope catch” mod on the Cilogear website, but I’m not sure that will fix the problem on its own. I also know that this problem has been fixed on the V3 packs. I’m guessing I am going to try to sew a 1 inch S-clip onto the lid to attach to the D-clip that is on the back just between the shoulder blades.

(2) Anyone have a comprehensive list of uses for all the D-clips and S-clips?! I think I am pretty creative, but I’ve cut a load of ‘em off my V1 30L because I couldn’t imagine a use for them. Examples: the D-clip right under the crampon pouch, several of the D-clips on the lid seem redundant, etc.

(3) Has anyone found out the details of the 20% off V3 packs for donating a V1 or V2 pack? I love my V1 30L, and for environmental reasons I’m loathe to give in to covetousness and grab a V3 30L, but for 20% off I think I might cave. If the 20% deal is taking place I think I’m gonna upgrade (I’m waiting to hear back from Graham, who, for very legitimate reasons, has an email backlog at the current time).

(4) Anyone have a raincover that fits the 60L nicely? I’m gonna need one for an upcoming trip and want to get something that won’t be too loose or too tight.

If it is not clear above, I’m a big fan of Graham and Cilogear (as I've said before on these forums). None of these questions are really gripes; just want to fine tune the packs.

Brian

vegastradguy

Feb 28, 2008, 4:34 AM
Post #2 of 7 (918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [btreanor] Cilogear Modifications and Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well for your comprehensive uses, check the owners manual:

http://wiki.cilogear.biz/....php?title=Main_Page

http://wiki.cilogear.biz/...raps_and_Compression

as for the lid thing- i really just gave up using mine- the 40L is so friggin' big that i have no use for it unless I have the sleeve all the way up (or most of the way up)....but the new fix is nice- i saw it at the show and its a perfect touch and i really have to thank him for fixing that little problem....

graham gave me a rope catch to try out, but again, the 40L is so big, i dont really ever need to- but if i do, i'll be sure to add it to my comments on the review.

the details on the donation- you basically have to prove you're giving the pack to a good cause- i think there's a letter from the receiving party involved, but other than that, its pretty straight forward.

hope that helps somewhat,

john

joeforte

Feb 28, 2008, 5:10 AM
Post #3 of 7 (905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Cilogear Modifications and Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found a solution to the lid sliding down problem. I take the lid straps and run them right through the top D clips and down to the second D clips on the back panel. The top D clips act as guides to stabilize the lid.

As for helping the pack keep it's shape, I use the Extra long straps to make a Z on both the top and bottom sections of the pack. This way I only have to adjust 1 or 2 straps on each side, instead of the possible 5 or 6. I find they self adjust well, and use less hardware.

Another trick I found was line the pack with a sleeping pad, or a thin roll-up foam sled ($5 from walmart). The sled weights just a few ounces, and is a real nice addition to your sleep kit, besides being a ton of fun in the snow!

btreanor

Feb 28, 2008, 6:14 AM
Post #4 of 7 (890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Cilogear Modifications and Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John,

Thanks. I've seen several versions of the wiki and, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible) it doesn't address the issue (again, for example, that curious D clip under the crampon pouch...). Of course, if the wiki is incomplete it is my fault, and the fault of other Cilogear owners, as Graham put it there for us to develop.

I know what you mean about pack size. I'd say upwards of 80% of my use is with the 30L pack. However, when I do use the 60L it is for big loads and the rope often ends up on top. Maybe the rope catch will fix it, but I think I'm going to have to sew some sort of attachment to fix the lid--the slide is really a PITA.

Graham/Crackers,
When you get a chance, details of the pack donation/discount would be a good thing to post, just so folks know the process. Is "proof" involved? Can the pack recipient email you? Can a letter be faxed? etc. Hope all is improving on the home front.

Brian

Partner hosh

Feb 28, 2008, 9:03 AM
Post #5 of 7 (861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have a V2 60L and I love it! I would like to see Graham/CiloGear attach maybe some Velcro or something to the pack to control the sleeve when it's not extended. It just kind of gets in the way and tends to be a pain for me...

As far as the clip below the crampon pouch, I would imagine it has something to do with mating packs together, though I wouldn't know. I've only got one pack, and no need to mate it with another pack (unless it would mean I would have more, smaller packs...;) I have tossed around the idea of trying to order just a new lid, so I don't have the obnoxious problem with my lid that you're talking about. For what it's worth, when the pack isn't super full, I take my lid off and attach it to the front of the pack (unless I'm planing on bringing crampons) so it's still available, but not a nuisance. Hope that helps!

hosh.

crackers

Feb 28, 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #6 of 7 (791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

btreanor wrote:
(1) ...The major issue is that the lid slides off the top and down the front (i.e., away from my back) side of the pack. ... I’m guessing I am going to try to sew a 1 inch S-clip onto the lid to attach to the D-clip that is on the back just between the shoulder blades.

We fixed by sewing on a 3/4" piece of flat webbing with a sliplock that clips into that D-Clip. JoeForte's solution sounds very interesting, maybe we can get him to take a picture...

btreanor wrote:
(2) Anyone have a comprehensive list of uses for all the D-clips and S-clips?! ... Examples: the D-clip right under the crampon pouch, several of the D-clips on the V1 lid seem redundant, etc.

D-Clip under crampon pouch works with the pouch. Put the pouch on the front, and clip it to that D-Clip and stash rope/frisbee/keg. Or rig something from the lower D-clips up to that and strap on your sleeping pad.
Those extra D's on the V1 lids are for using it as a shoulder bag.

btreanor wrote:
(3) Has anyone found out the details of the 20% off V3 packs for donating a V1 pack? I love my V1 30L, and for environmental reasons I’m loathe to give in to covetousness and grab a V3 30L, but for 20% off I think I might cave. If the 20% deal is taking place I think I’m gonna upgrade (I’m waiting to hear back from Graham, who, for very legitimate reasons, has an email backlog at the current time).

That's exactly it. Environmentally, throwing it out would be Very Bad. That said, a number of V1 carrying folks with modern tools have expressed interest in getting a V3 pack just because they want to carry their tools.

Originally, I had intended this for the 40L and 60L packs, but the 30L should be included too. I will email all of the V1 owners that bought their packs from me and I can contact about this in about two weeks with all the details. Please have a bit of patience on this so I can get it right.

Basically I'd like it to work like this:
0. Only available to original V1 customers.
1. V1 owner commits to give pack to worthy cause.
2. V1 owner emails me contact details on worthy cause.
3. V1 owner orders new pack, pays shipping, and new pack + parts for V1 comes in the mail. The price will be ROUGHLY 20% off. (ie, ~$180 for a V3 60L)
4. V1 owner puts on V2 lid (!) to V1 pack, takes pack to worthy cause and shows how to use it.
5. Worthy Cause, New V3 owner and CiloGear live happily ever after. And win PowerBall...

But I've got to work out the details a bit, and honestly, I'm digging out from missing 2+ weeks of work.

Mrs. C got her fixator adjusted today. Now it allows for her foot to go up and down. She's creaking around our apartment. I ran away to the sound of her moaning and shrieking as she moved her ankle for the first time in two weeks. (she told me: i love you, but all I'm going to be doing for the next three or four hours is shrieking and you can't help me at all right now, so why don't you go back to work. and make some money.WinkSly) Thanks for understanding my absence...

btreanor wrote:
(4) Anyone have a raincover that fits the 60L nicely?

Yes. Some Canadians have one. I describe it on the blog with some pictures...

btreanor

Feb 29, 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #7 of 7 (773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackers] Cilogear Modifications and Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Graham,

Thanks much. I knew that D-clip under the pouch had to be for something! Great answers to all my questions. I'm going to look into donating my V1 30L and I'll get back to you. I'll do lid mod on my 60L myself.

Glad to hear things are looking up for "Ms. Cilogear." I'll keep my fingers crossed for that Powerball win...

Brian

PS--Kelly gave a nice plug for the packs during his (amazing) slideshow in Ouray last month.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook