information 2 / 50%
4 total votes

needrock

Mar 4, 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2953 views)
Shortcut

RED ROCKS LIMESTONE HELP!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there anyone out there who knows how to get to the rodeo wall, or the trenches, fire wall, and waterworld?? i am insanely interested and have been trying to find them for a while but all the new construction makes it almost impossible. anything that might help would be great!

sbaclimber

Mar 4, 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [needrock] RED ROCKS LIMESTONE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, oh, oh, I voted for Information!!!

...though I have no idea why...Crazy

socalbolter

Mar 4, 2008, 1:10 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] RED ROCKS LIMESTONE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There' a good guidebook to the limestone crags in the area that could provide you with the info you're looking for.

In fact here's some info on it from this very site:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/Detailed/2002.html

One of the authors of this book bolted most of the routes you're asking about. Please buy his book. It's one small way that he can recover some of the thousands of dollars he spent developing sport climbing options in the region.

pyrosis

Mar 4, 2008, 1:49 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] RED ROCKS LIMESTONE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I own this book and, like Louie says, its a good guide for Vegas limestone. It, along with my beta below, will help you find what you are looking for. By all means, purchase it. It is, however, seven years outdated, and with the additional construction I can see why you would have trouble finding the crags you speak of. Specifically, the road maps in the book are very outdated. Refer to beta below.

I have been to Waterworld and Trenchtown. When I attempted this, in 2005, the quarry was impassable, and the map in the McQuade guide was already way outdated.

So here is how to find the areas you speak of. Take Lone Mountain Rd west to N Grand Canyon Drive. Turn right (N). Turn left on Ann Rd (W). Go west on Ann Rd until it ends at Shaumber Rd. Turn right (N) then make an immediate left onto W La Mancha Ave (a dirt road last time I was there.) Take this road west until it ends at a little dude ranch thing, then follow power line roads south as far as you can, then park. Get out and walk south along the power lines until you hit the edge of the quarry. Follow the edge of the quarry around to the right until you find a large wash. Go up the wash 1.4 miles, until you can look south and see two canyons with some blue limestone coming down from the hills. You should see a small climbers trail on the left (S). Take this trail south, then west again for about five minutes. Head left into a small wash that leads to a narrow limestone canyon. Cruise up the slot canyon until it forks. Up the right fork only a few hundred yards and on the left is Waterworld. The Fire wall is way past waterworld up canyon, over a ridge, and to the south, on the other side of another canyon, and facing northeast. To get to Trenchtown, continue straight at the afformentioned fork and up a couple of ladders. Most routes are on the left. Good luck. If you make it tor Trenchtown, you can enjoy the exquisite blue limestone of One Foundation, one of the best 5.10 sport climbs ever.

Peace

-Tavis

chossmonkey

Mar 4, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [needrock] RED ROCKS LIMESTONE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha!

A few years ago we drove all over looking for those places and only ended up blowing out a tire on a 4WD road nowhere near where we probably should have been.

I think the book said the maps would be outdated about the time it hit the shelves. Vegas was growing way to fast to keep up.

Good luck!

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] RED ROCKS LIMESTONE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good time!

(click here if image has problems loading for you: http://i.pbase.com/...2499832.YPn7o20e.jpg)

climbs4fun

Mar 6, 2008, 3:40 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] RED ROCKS LIMESTONE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm moving this thread to the partners area as this is not an access issur or closure.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook