RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

bollduggy

Mar 3, 2008, 6:13 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Trango Flex cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering what the difference is between the old and the new flex cams. Im looking at starting a trad rack and ive been looking at these. Just wondering what your opinions were.

Partner hosh

Mar 3, 2008, 6:38 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bollduggy] Trango Flex cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was actually looking at these tonight in a gear shop in town. They look nice and I would be more than happy to add them to my (if you ask my wife, "over-sized") rack. The larger sizes (2 biggest) look a little unstable, and the smallest 2 or 3 sizes also look a little awkward. They look like a decent option for a rack, but if you can spring the cash, I'd say go with Metolius or BD. That's just my opinion...

hosh.

notapplicable

Mar 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My brother bought a set 2 years ago so I have climbed with them quite a bit, as they are officially part of my rack untill he gets back from Iraq.

Hosh is exactly right, the largest and smallest sizes arent as confidence inspiring as they could be. Not henious mind you, they are a good and light weight cam that I place with confidence.

My rack is a mashup of Metolius, bd and Friends (and now flex cams) and they all have their strengths. All I cans say is, if you choose to build your rack around Trango's, expect to round it off with some tcu's and camalots, one day.

John_Long

Mar 3, 2008, 1:24 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Trango Flex cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatcha want? A cookie?

dynoho

Mar 3, 2008, 2:14 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the difference between the old and new is in the smallest 5 sizes which now employ the "splitter" configuration. This design helped Trango narrow the head and allows for aiding off of two lobes. I think they added some sizes as well.

bollduggy

Mar 3, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynoho] Trango Flex cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SO if i can pick up the old flex cams cheaper i should do that? or is it worth spending the extra 5-10 dollars a cam to get the new ones. And what exactly is wrong with the two biggest sizes? DO they walk alot or do they just feel unstable? thanks agian for the help guys

Partner angry

Mar 3, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [John_Long] Trango Flex cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John_Long wrote:

Whatcha want? A cookie?

John, that is a clear Alien. About the size of a 2.5 friend but works nicer. I own 2 of them. They have proven quite capable of taking an upward pull.

herothezero

Mar 3, 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The old Flex Cams are being sold as Rock Empire Durangos. I think they go for $290 a set.

notapplicable

Mar 4, 2008, 3:26 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [John_Long] Trango Flex cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John_Long wrote:
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1151[/image]
Whatcha want? A cookie?

Yes, thank you for that.

Very helpful.

waterman

Mar 4, 2008, 4:04 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These were my first trad peices and still a major part of my rack (I have all the four cam units). I matched them with the max cams and tcus, and now that I have a full set of c4 and c3s Im still so much more comfortable with the flex cams and max cams that I grab for them in a pinch (often leaving the Bdels in the car). Point is I have been very happy with the cams, even if they arn't "The best," they get the job done.

Jeff

takanhase

Mar 4, 2008, 4:32 AM
Post #11 of 12 (988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [waterman] Trango Flex cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I started my rack off with the flexcams, and still use the 5-7 the 8-9 are a little unstable in my opinion (they walk a bit) and as far as the smaller ones go.... I'd take metoulous 4cu's or 3cus over them in a hartbeat. but thats my own preference.

Partner hosh

Mar 6, 2008, 4:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bollduggy wrote:
SO if i can pick up the old flex cams cheaper i should do that? or is it worth spending the extra 5-10 dollars a cam to get the new ones. And what exactly is wrong with the two biggest sizes? DO they walk alot or do they just feel unstable? thanks agian for the help guys

The older set had some problems in that there was virtually no overlap between sizes. I don't know if this problem/oversight was addressed in the newer models. Again, not the worst cams, actually rather nice cams. The best on the market? not really. Worth the money? YES. But as has been mentioned, you'll be rounding off your rack someday with other cams. But I would say that if you're a true gear whore, then you'll be filling in gaps with other brands no matter which cam company you settle for. I started my rack with Trango, then BD, then Metolius, then Wild Country. I also have a full set of Aliens (almost) and a few Zeros. It's hard to stick to one brand when there are so many nice cams to waste money on... ;)

hosh.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook