RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

ozoneclimber

Mar 4, 2008, 6:03 AM
Post #1 of 8 (830 views)
Shortcut

What to do, if anything...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know who all has looked at the thread "This guy is a dumb a$$," but it screams at me that maybe we should try to do something about this.

The guy claims that he is their "expert", has been climbing for 10 years, and has climbed Mount Kilamanjaro. You would think that if all of that is true, someone would have said something to him about his "techniques." If someone has he has obviously ignored them and continued on in the wrong vein, which would convey extreme arrogance and an ego bigger than Elcap.

Those that live in the Austin area and want to learn how to climb are the ones that I am worried about.

Is there anything that we can, or should, do about this. I know that I have e-mailed him, and a few others said that they flagged his videos on YouTube and contacted them about the misinformation within them. Do you guys think that there is anything more we can do.

-Bobby

P.S.
It wouldn't be so bad, except these are basic things that he has wrong.

shoo

Mar 4, 2008, 6:12 AM
Post #2 of 8 (823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ozoneclimber] What to do, if anything... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I said in the other thread, this is atrocious. First, he should be convinced to remove the videos. Then he needs to be convinced to get the hell out of the guiding business.

Flood his e-mail box and his phone lines. Leaving comments isn't enough.

ozoneclimber

Mar 4, 2008, 6:15 AM
Post #3 of 8 (817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] What to do, if anything... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The e-mail that I sent him was pretty long. I basically told him, in over a thousand words that he either needed to fire himself or get some real training. He still hasn't replied.

Maybe all of us should do the same thing. Start sending e-mails, and if you can call him, do so... lol, hehehe.

squarf

Mar 4, 2008, 6:53 AM
Post #4 of 8 (786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ozoneclimber] What to do, if anything... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think some of the moderators on here (and some of the other people who are overly-experienced climbers) should approach youtube (via e-mail) with their concerns. I think it should be done as a collective group, because seriously, he is not thorough, and he often gives unsafe information without a disclaimer that his lessons are not a substitute for a climbing class.

I am mostly concerned about someone viewing those videos and thinking they know their stuff, and then bringing it out into the real world and getting hurt.

texasclimber

Mar 4, 2008, 7:06 PM
Post #5 of 8 (703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squarf] What to do, if anything... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When lives are needlessly put at risk...something should be done IMO.

Partner angry

Mar 4, 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [texasclimber] What to do, if anything... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys need to understand the isolation of christian "adventure" groups.

For the most part he doesn't climb with others who aren't part of his group. He doesn't have time to push himself or advance himself because he's mainly a youth pastor or something. He likely got taught these techniques by someone a while ago. Some were accepted at the time, others have just gotten foggy over the years.

His dealings with "Gentile Climbers" is probably only related to very occasional shoe and harness purchase. Nuts, cams, ropes, shoes, even harnesses tend to stay in service for upward of 20 years. He's not spending his days at the climbing shop BSing what's new with the employees. I glimpsed a Choinard Camalot on one of his videos, for example.

Looking at the videos it's clear that he's 100% convinced that he is giving correct information. He's also been at it for a long time and nothing bad has happened. There is NO WAY you are going to be able to convince him he's wrong. Especially with the rudeness most people have when trying to correct a mistake.

There are safer practices. That doesn't mean his are instantly deadly, they just are uninformed and sloppy. There is not a police agency that can siege their headquarters and drag them off for doing teaching poorly.

So to answer the question, "What to do?" You can email him to no avail, ignore him, or attempt to get employment with them and bring all sorts of new fangled ideas with you.

Sorry, not a ton of options for you.

corson

Mar 4, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #7 of 8 (635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] What to do, if anything... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, we as people are responsible for seeking out owr own info, and diseminating it appropriatly. You could spend the rest of your life trying to wash away the misinformation on the internet (including this site sometimes). People can post whatever like like anytime, If others are foolish enough to follow misinformation then.......well thats the darwin theory for ya.Unsure

irregularpanda

Mar 4, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #8 of 8 (631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] What to do, if anything... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
You guys need to understand the isolation of christian "adventure" groups.

For the most part he doesn't climb with others who aren't part of his group. He doesn't have time to push himself or advance himself because he's mainly a youth pastor or something. He likely got taught these techniques by someone a while ago. Some were accepted at the time, others have just gotten foggy over the years.

His dealings with "Gentile Climbers" is probably only related to very occasional shoe and harness purchase. Nuts, cams, ropes, shoes, even harnesses tend to stay in service for upward of 20 years. He's not spending his days at the climbing shop BSing what's new with the employees. I glimpsed a Choinard Camalot on one of his videos, for example.

Looking at the videos it's clear that he's 100% convinced that he is giving correct information. He's also been at it for a long time and nothing bad has happened. There is NO WAY you are going to be able to convince him he's wrong. Especially with the rudeness most people have when trying to correct a mistake.

There are safer practices. That doesn't mean his are instantly deadly, they just are uninformed and sloppy. There is not a police agency that can siege their headquarters and drag them off for doing teaching poorly.

So to answer the question, "What to do?" You can email him to no avail, ignore him, or attempt to get employment with them and bring all sorts of new fangled ideas with you.

Sorry, not a ton of options for you.

I agree with Angry. Pissing in the wind only gets one person wet, no matter how hard you try.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook