Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

shear

Mar 8, 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #51 of 54 (385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] life of a climbing guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have guided the past 2 summers in Acadia National Park for a very reputable and certified outfit. I can safely say that I went up there with the notion of having a "working vacation". Being a student and all this seemed like a good gig: live in an amazing area for a summer, guide 4 days a week, climb a ton, and make money. Well, that is not the case. You make minimal money. I actually lost money, came back with less money than I went with. I didn't go out to eat once, cooked at home all the time, etc. Our outfit provided us with housing, but we paid rent. The few people that did make money lived out of a tent all summer. While this seemed like a good idea, it's not a permanent answer.

the climbing aspect: be motivated. I was the only person who got out all the time. The majority of the guides didn't climb at all. IT's hard to guide all day and then go work a project after being in the blazing sun hauling people up cliffs all day. My boss put it best, "if you're going to make guiding your primary source of income, you can't be a strong climber...because you will not have any time to climb. As soon as I heard this, my brain completely shut off to guiding. It was fun, but it kind of took the magic out of what I love about climbing.

You definitely need: cheap housing or free housing.

(This post was edited by shear on Mar 8, 2008, 12:36 PM)

scrapedape

Mar 8, 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #52 of 54 (363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shear] life of a climbing guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience, you are much more likely to regret not trying something than you are to regret doing something that doesn't work out.

You will never escape the "what ifs" in the back of your mind.

deltav

Mar 8, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #53 of 54 (344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shear] life of a climbing guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shear wrote:
I have guided the past 2 summers in Acadia National Park for a very reputable and certified outfit. I can safely say that I went up there with the notion of having a "working vacation". Being a student and all this seemed like a good gig: live in an amazing area for a summer, guide 4 days a week, climb a ton, and make money. Well, that is not the case. You make minimal money. I actually lost money, came back with less money than I went with. I didn't go out to eat once, cooked at home all the time, etc. Our outfit provided us with housing, but we paid rent. The few people that did make money lived out of a tent all summer. While this seemed like a good idea, it's not a permanent answer.

the climbing aspect: be motivated. I was the only person who got out all the time. The majority of the guides didn't climb at all. IT's hard to guide all day and then go work a project after being in the blazing sun hauling people up cliffs all day. My boss put it best, "if you're going to make guiding your primary source of income, you can't be a strong climber...because you will not have any time to climb. As soon as I heard this, my brain completely shut off to guiding. It was fun, but it kind of took the magic out of what I love about climbing.

You definitely need: cheap housing or free housing.

i bet the owner of said well established, certified guide service (no names) wasn't hurting for money that summer.

karlbaba

Apr 20, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #54 of 54 (253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deltav] life of a climbing guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guide and know a lot of guides.

Here's something you REALLY want to consider. I've seen a lot of guide who lose interest in climbing for it's own sake after gettting paid for it for a long time. They take up kayaking and stuff.

The KEY is, you'll enjoy climbing if you enjoy people and can vicariously celebrate and encourage their dreams and success.

If people bum you out, guiding will mess you up.

Personally, I love people and love guiding but even so, after 10 years of it, I love days spent on the rock with my clients but it's hard for my friends to get me to go out for free. I get my climbing out of my system guiding and there are other things in life

Peace

K

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook