Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Drive in to Black Velvet - Road Closure
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sassafras1232

Mar 24, 2008, 7:06 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Drive in to Black Velvet - Road Closure  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon: Black_Velvet_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone know how bad the drive into Black Velvet canyon is right now? There is apparently a possible closure on the usual road:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/nv/field_offices/las_vegas_field_office/red_rock/black_velvet_nottice/black_velvet_notice.Par.17003.File.dat/Black%20Velvet%20notice.pdf

Anyone know if the usual road is open or closed right now? Or how bad the alternate route is?

climberman15

Mar 24, 2008, 8:55 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sassafras1232] Drive in to Black Velvet - Road Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup! It's closed. There are maps around the campground and gearshop that have the alternative routes. One is 4x4 only and one is 2x4. The 2x4 is not bad. The 4x4 is. I took my 2x4 down the 4x4 for fun and did not make it 50 yards before having to turn around.

erclimb

Mar 24, 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was just there last thursday...ask at the gear shop for specific directions...the road is passable for a 2x4 but you'll need some ground clearance or careful driving--we were in a subaru outback

try to be at the parking area by 7 AM if you intend to try prince of darkness or dream of wild turkeys

the approach directions are good but follow them exactly

ak47ss

Apr 2, 2008, 4:04 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there last sun.. Go to the old road that is now closed... continue past that to mile marker 16. Just past that is a white cattle guard. Take a right. From there you stay straight on the dirt road. I kept my truck in two wheel drive but i had to gun it in some sections and i have good ground clearance. You stay on this road headed toward the cliffs. Then take your first right. There is a brown stake at this intersections with an arrow and sign pointing to Black Velvet.... you continue on this road and follow the signs/ stakes. If i remember you take the next left and stay on this road until it wraps around towards the cliff again.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook