RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

kriso9tails

Mar 31, 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3791 views)
Shortcut

embiggen this boulder?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edit: Oh yeah, this is Soul Slinger in Bishop. Don't remember how tall it is in reality, but I'd guess around 18'.

Well, I have to redo this anyway -- if you look on the top right of the boulder, you can see desert bleeding over path and boulder from sloppy composite work (that's what happens when you rush things) -- so a few questions of my own and, of course, whatever else people have for me.

1) This totally betrays the size of the problem (because of the lens, angle etc.): should I try to edit it to restore a bit of that height somehow? I have tons if cropped out space image to work with, so maybe when my head clears I can think of a good way to do this.

2) Crashpads? Stay or go? I've already taken out a spotter's hands, chalk buckets and other junk (if you look close you can see clone tool scars and such where I was impatient). Maybe just the black pad should stay?

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Mar 31, 2008, 6:24 PM)

wes_allen

Apr 1, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] embiggen this boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, it does look way smaller! You really have to watch the wa distortion - use it to your advantage. That said, do you have one with the climber higher on the problem (and thus closer to you)? I find the with really wide angles, you have to be right on top of the subject to get good results.

kriso9tails

Apr 1, 2008, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] embiggen this boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't had time to look through them all, but probably not. It was at the end of the trip, so i think he was a little beat at that point. In truth, it was within his sending limits, so I don't know why he was being so uncooperative... bloody climbers.

I knew it would compress like that when I shot, but as it was I was leaning awkwardly over the adjacent boulder and sliding off. The real problem was that I just didn't bring an appropriate lens, but then I wasn't intending to shoot with anything but the lensbaby for kicks. Shame on me though; I should know better.

I have some other shots on other problems with the wide angle that work better as climbing shots, but I just like the boulder and the background in this. Just hard to balance the elements with the climber so low and the distortion.

krillen

Apr 1, 2008, 4:16 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the size and angle as is. Perhaps it's because of the great scenery behind the boulder as well, it's not just a climbing shot but an art piece (landscape shot) as well.

The only distortion that bothers me is the elongation of his head, it looks Ginormous!

The pads don't bother me, infact I think they add to it. Multiple pads means crappy landing, long overhang, or big height, so the scale of the boulder is implied by the equipment

Nicely done Kris. Cheers

kriso9tails

Apr 1, 2008, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krillen] embiggen this boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

krillen wrote:
The only distortion that bothers me is the elongation of his head, it looks Ginormous!

It's his large brain, swelling in an attempt to solve.

BigBlue89Bronco

Apr 8, 2008, 8:58 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off-great job. i really iike the angle and distortion of the photo

my only thing that i dont like about the disortion is the effect it has on his head like the others have said. i think you could play around with that very easily. but no big deal

as far as making the boulder look too big- i wouldn't say its a problem unless you are trying to take a picture that is intended to show how big it really is. (if that makes any sense)..

crash pads-i think 2 look perfect. 1 would make the climber look too big

anyways-great job

-ns

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook