RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

NJSlacker

Apr 3, 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3085 views)
Shortcut

Hunters, Huntingdon county PA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I only have a Canon Powershot SD600, and I wish I was good enough to excuse buying a DSLR, but I have some bouldering photos and I'm looking for some constructive criticism. I took these of my friends bouldering at Hunters in central PA.

The Nose, I believe

Mojo

Mojo again

Myxomatosis

Apr 3, 2008, 1:17 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] Hunters, Huntingdon county PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To me they just look like pictures of my mates bouldering.

You need to give them a focal point.... a point of interest that will catch the viewer.

The eye is attracted to the brightest point of a photo and in the bottom two your climber is nearly black... not very eye catching.

Also you need to think about your back ground. If you can suss out what you want as your focal point and then give it a good "scene of place" with a great back drop...

Also the lighting isn't crash hot, taking photo's during cloudy days doesn't really inspire the greatest photos. Sun set or sun rise is always best.

guangzhou

Apr 3, 2008, 6:05 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] Hunters, Huntingdon county PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree, a gray Sky makes a dull background. Looks like the camera is often focus on the main scene, not the action part of the images,

Decide what you want to shoot and then convey that message by eliminating everything that distracts from the message.

Image one, looks like some action was going on, but the spotter has is eyes closed and the photo isn't focused well. Might be camera shake. Looks like you were hoping to have the climber as the main subject here, but you also added a half extra spotter in the photo. To improve this shot next time, move a little higher up and shoot looking down. Make sure the climbers face, especially eyes are well focused. Also make sure the spotter is looking toward the climber to add a feeling of team work and partnership.

Unless the second spotter was really needed, you could have him completely out of the frame. Put him to work with a reflector to shine some light on the climber from above.

For me, this is the best shot. The sky does interfere, but you almost got a good silhouette of the climber. Unfortunately, the spotters ruined it. Spotters are nice because they show scale and can help portray how dangerous a situation is, but if they distract, get them out of the frame.

For this Shot I would have moved left some and used the rock as the background instead of the sky. I think the climber would have looked better. Or I would have intensified the Silhouette effect.

Instead of justifying a bigger or "better" camera, consider buying a reflector to bounce light. If you don't want to spend money on a real reflector, consider a large sheet of white glossy poster board to move light where you want it.

Last and not least. Get you camera stable. A tripod works well, but resting you camera on a tree, a rock, or other solid object will help tremendously.

Cheers
Eman

NJSlacker

Apr 3, 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Hunters, Huntingdon county PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice guys; it's much appreciated.

WVUCLMBR

Apr 3, 2008, 1:17 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Hunters, Huntingdon county PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you might wanna work on your spotting too. In pic 1 it looks like they are watching a tv somewhere off in the distance. And in pic 2 the guy on the left looks like a perv at the mall peepin yung chick butt. Crazy

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook