RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

noxious

May 14, 2008, 7:43 PM
Post #1 of 10 (944 views)
Shortcut

Clear Creek for Begginer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone...New to the forum and looking for a little help. I have been climbing at a local gym for about 6 months and feel pretty comfortable on 5.10's. I just bought my first rope and a book on Clear Creek routes. From the book I have it looks like 5.7s are the easiest routes up there that are accessable legaly. My question is what routes if any would you recomend to a begginer in Clear Creek Canyon. Oh yeah I know rating is subjective so I am looking for oppinions on routes you have acctually climbed. Thanks in advance for the help.

reg

May 14, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 10 (931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noxious] Clear Creek for Begginer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OB - where is that place?

kimsismour

May 14, 2008, 8:07 PM
Post #3 of 10 (928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to move this post to the regional area for colorado. I have climbed there, but I am not familiar enough with the area to be any help.

abcorps

May 14, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #4 of 10 (925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm assuming your talking about Clear Creek Canyon in Golden, CO. I work at the courthouse and climb regularly in clear creek and north table after work. My first recommendation would be to check out http://www.mountainproject.com, you can search for "best routes for you" in each area. One of the easiest routes is at high wire called stone cold moderate (5.7). It has a bouldery start so might not be the best for you if just getting started. North Table Mountain (Golden Cliffs) might be a better alternative for you. There are many beginner routes with top-rope access to almost everything. feel free to pm me if you want more info.

Hopefully you bought Darren's new full color guidebook to clear creek, it'll help you in finding all the routes. There isn't a really good book for north table (there is an older one you might be able to find), a new one should be coming out toward the end of the year.

tedman

May 15, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #5 of 10 (834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, stone cold moderate would be the easiest lead in clear creek, its at 'highwire crag', right before tunnel two. its got a few 5.8s right next to it too. good sun, lots of road noise tho. If by bouldery start you mean 'one move of upper body strength' then yes. you pull that lip, clip, and then almost literally walk up the gulley to the anchors.

are you comfortable lead climbing and not just top roping? cuz no one else is going to set up that toprope for you;-). which gym have you been climbing at?

noxious

May 15, 2008, 9:42 PM
Post #6 of 10 (818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Clear Creek for Begginer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info guys...I have been going to RMJ #2 off Arapahoe. I dont mind the bouldering stuff I am comfortable on REC and Intermidiate Bouldering routes. As far as lead climbing I need to take the test at RMJ. I really have no idea what my skill is on lead climbing. Top rope I can do 5.10.

tedman

May 15, 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #7 of 10 (802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as I'm sure you will find out, lead is quite a different animal then toprope. Also I would highly recommend that you find someone who knows what they are doing before you go outside. There are more skills to master then just knowing how to lead climb/belay before you can jump into sport climbing. And you need a set of 10-12 quickdraws in addition to the rope before you can really get started. If you cant find anyone down there to help get you outside, shoot me a pm. I usually climb at the north RnJ on weeknights, but live just about right between them.

noxious

May 16, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #8 of 10 (776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks tedman we should get togethter sometime I would appreciate any help you can offer. I plan on passing the lead test at RMJ2 this week or next???

tedman

May 16, 2008, 4:08 PM
Post #9 of 10 (766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they dont give you a certificate or anything when you pass it, its not like you have to do that in order to go outside. But have you taken a lead class or know what they are looking for? backclipping, zclipping etc? and make sure you are _solid_ on the test route. its really amazing how much it changes when you arnt on toprope.

noxious

May 19, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #10 of 10 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey tedman I went to rmj2 on friday and asked one of the emplyees if I was ready to take the learn to lead class, she watched me on a couple routes and said I was. I will be taking the class on the 28th. Thanks for the advice, I'll shoot you a PM to meet up at the gym sometime.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook