Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Hornet nests on Planet of the Apes wall
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gregory_huey

May 16, 2008, 9:23 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1173 views)
Shortcut

Hornet nests on Planet of the Apes wall  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Malibu_Creek_State_Park: Planet_of_the_Apes_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,
Sometime in the last couple of days two (atleast) hornet nests have been started on Planet of the Apes wall. Both are in the upper half of the wall. One is on Spider Monkey (the 5.11b with the 5.10 variation start, and metal spikes nearby) and the other is on Planet of the Apes (5.11a up the shallow dihedral, then traverses left to pull the bulge on big pockets). I climbed there Saturday, and no hornets. I climbed Thursday and got stung on Spider Monkey, and nearly grabbed the nest out of the pocket on Planet of the Apes. If you are heading out there, I suggest you take some anti-hornet spray and nuke 'em. It would be a great public service. I will, but not sure when I will be there next.

Thanks,
Greg

mrsuicide

May 22, 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gregory_huey] Hornet nests on Planet of the Apes wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can confirm this. the one on planet of the apes is very close to the top, maybe 5 ft from the anchors.

Don't think i've ever yelled so fast to be lowered. The hornets were VERY angry with my presence.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook