Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering in SW Utah/Zion area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

noman668

Jul 14, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #1 of 7 (6337 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering in SW Utah/Zion area  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Zion_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heading out there in two weeks...Three areas I'm interested in bouldering; any info/guides/etc. on them?
1. Cedar Breaks / 2. Duck Creek area (Any bouldering up there???)
3. In and around Zion (or St George, but preferably the park)

Haven't seen anything specifically on bouldering in these areas...

Now many of you are screaming "Idiot!!! Why the @#$% are you leaving SoCal and going to Zion looking for boulders!? Why not do all the trad / sport around Cedar City/St. George!?" Perhaps some of these answers will spare me the lashings in advance:
1. I'll be in the area on a FAMILY vacation, not a CLIMBING TRIP.
2. I'll be without partners.
3. I DON'T WANT to ditch my family- I'm taking them there to be WITH them.
4. I don't climb trad anyhow.
5. Just looking for some good boulders to hit, by myself, for an hour or so in the mornings before everyone's up.

Thanks Folks!

grk10vq

Jul 14, 2005, 5:30 AM
Post #2 of 7 (6335 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering in SW Utah/Zion area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try to hit this site for beta: http://www.climbingmoab.com/rock/

Also I've done some bouldering below Buff Street. You'll see some great cracks to the east of the road and there are plenty of trails and boulders to mess around on..............The only bummer is that it may be 100+ degrees. And I've found a boulder or two in snow caynon-- which you can find an exit for while heading towards veyo.
I know for sure zion has numerous boulders with huge huecos, there in random spots but easy to access. Shouldn't be hard to find those, but again it'll be hot.

Also I remember stumbling on a site called climbing southern utah a while back, google it.

good luck

bdawg

Jul 14, 2005, 5:49 AM
Post #3 of 7 (6335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a Huge boulder right at the main entrance to Zion, its on the left if you are heading into the park. Its pretty fun to play on, as there are a few traverses. You'll spot other random boulders with chalk on them as you drive through the park also.

noman668

Jul 14, 2005, 5:55 AM
Post #4 of 7 (6335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah...I've climbed most of the stuff around the entrance to the park- I know there's tons of bouldering in there, I'm really just curious if any of it has been put down on paper and looking to find stuff not so easily seen from the road...

Partner sevrdhed

Jul 14, 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I was wandering around with my dad in Zions a while back, we hiked down to this little semi-slot canyon thing. It was fairly short, and pretty close to the road, and it had some pretty cool little boulder problems in it. They were just on the walls, and would either traverse around or go up about 10 feet.

The bottom of this wash was all sand, so the landing wasn't too terrible either, even if you fell.

I don't have specifics on exactly where it was, but the point isn't this one little area, the point is that there's a large amount of rock in Zion, and if you just wander around a bit, you should be able to find some that you can climb.

Steve

P.S. Or you could just start soloing :D

apictureofnectar

May 21, 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #6 of 7 (5379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sevrdhed] Bouldering in SW Utah/Zion area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am in basically the same situation. I have a family reunion down in Zion's later this summer, and I won't have the time or a partner to go climb routes, so I want to do some bouldering in the mornings. Is there somewhere that would have more info on specific boulders, ratings, etc? I also heard somewhere that you have to dye your chalk red so it matches the rock. Is this true?

lvpyne

May 21, 2008, 9:50 PM
Post #7 of 7 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noman668] Bouldering in SW Utah/Zion area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

McAfee's guidebook has a section specifically on bouldering in Zion and there are some pretty good bouldering areas by the Court of the Patriarchs by the river -- there are shady areas all day which is a definite plus. Across from the "Practice Cliffs"... (Which, by the way, you are never, ever desperate enough to climb...)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook