Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Rumney Ruckus 08
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Partner jammer

Apr 12, 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #126 of 507 (12424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
If I may be serious for just a bit....
But Bill, I thought you were Always Serious???

In reply to:
All you newcomers to Rumney, don't worry about a guide book. Don't buy the old guide even if you can find it. There are many new climbs that are not in it. We all have them annotated in our tattered and worn old guides. I am sure the new guide will be outstanding and well worth waiting for. Ward Smith et al don't ever seem to do something that isn't top notch.
You're gonna have to let me borrow your book when I see ya ... mine's not marked Shocked

GeneralBenson

Apr 12, 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #127 of 507 (12418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chalk me down for for Wgr or Moby!! Trad friday FTW.

PerfectusVarrus

Apr 12, 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #128 of 507 (12418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey folks, quick note: I was just up at Rumney earlier today, and its still wet and snowy. HOWEVER! From what I saw from only looking around the Parking Lot Wall and over to the Main Wall there are still a good number of climbable routes, some of which are actually bone-dry (even in todays rain, good deal), so by June? Its gonna be good :) If the weather clears a bit I'm hoping to head up again in two weeks, when my finals are finally over, and do a couple. We'll see how it goes :)

jakedatc

Apr 12, 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #129 of 507 (12415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PerfectusVarrus] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PerfectusVarrus wrote:
Hey folks, quick note: I was just up at Rumney earlier today, and its still wet and snowy. HOWEVER! From what I saw from only looking around the Parking Lot Wall and over to the Main Wall there are still a good number of climbable routes, some of which are actually bone-dry (even in todays rain, good deal), so by June? Its gonna be good :) If the weather clears a bit I'm hoping to head up again in two weeks, when my finals are finally over, and do a couple. We'll see how it goes :)

If you didn't see the signs.. Main Cliff is Closed for the nesting Peregrines
http://accessfund.com/regions/res/NH
Please stay away from those sections until we are allowed.

Partner jammer

Apr 12, 2008, 1:03 AM
Post #130 of 507 (12411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How's it lookin' at Farley?

PerfectusVarrus

Apr 12, 2008, 1:09 AM
Post #131 of 507 (12409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"jakedatc wrote:

Ahh, thanks. I was looking around at the main lot for any update on the Falcons, but couldnt find anything. Glad your on the lookout. But no climbing for me today, Just checking the scene since I was in the area. But that area was all I checked out, didnt go as far as the western crags, since it was raining pretty nicely, and the trails were pretty muddy: didnt wanna mess them up too much. Though I did see a coupla cars below the Main Cliff, so the climbs around the Falcons may be open...

Partner jammer

Apr 12, 2008, 1:28 AM
Post #132 of 507 (12398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PerfectusVarrus wrote:
"jakedatc wrote:

Ahh, thanks. I was looking around at the main lot for any update on the Falcons, but couldnt find anything. Glad your on the lookout. But no climbing for me today, Just checking the scene since I was in the area. But that area was all I checked out, didnt go as far as the western crags, since it was raining pretty nicely, and the trails were pretty muddy: didnt wanna mess them up too much. Though I did see a coupla cars below the Main Cliff, so the climbs around the Falcons may be open...

If they were climbing, they were most likely up higher on Orange Crush or even walked over to hit Waimea.

jakedatc

Apr 12, 2008, 1:30 AM
Post #133 of 507 (12397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Though I did see a coupla cars below the Main Cliff, so the climbs around the Falcons may be open...
Did they widen and pave the trail up there? sweeeet ;)

anyway.. just cuz people park at the small lot doesn't mean they are climbing at main cliff.. it's pretty common to park there if there is space to go to the further out places or even to 5.8 crag.

they don't "Climb around the falcons" they close the entire section they are on.. usually the Iron Man and White toad sections. They usually open up Venus and Armed and Dangerous once things have settled down they the bird guys go up and check things out. (and i'd guess venus and A&D are soaked right now anyway)

notch

Apr 12, 2008, 1:54 PM
Post #134 of 507 (12376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey lads, I'm in for at least Friday and Saturday. I wouldn't dream of breaking the Trad Day rainout tradition. My wife may come with the little guy, too.

Partner jammer

Apr 12, 2008, 3:09 PM
Post #135 of 507 (12372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notch] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notch wrote:
Hey lads, I'm in for at least Friday and Saturday. I wouldn't dream of breaking the Trad Day rainout tradition. My wife may come with the little guy, too.
Glad to see that you are still kickin'! Will put you down for sure. It will be good to climb with you again!

Partner epoch

Apr 12, 2008, 6:21 PM
Post #136 of 507 (12367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:

Off topic!!!! Epoch -- got the urge for Tucks. How is it looking? Are you getting over often? Might be fun to hook up for some "fun in the sun".

Bill

Bill,

I've been up twice this season. Both times have been "early" for the season too. The considerable amount of snowfall that's been received up there has led to some stiff avvy danger. I'll have to see how the schedule is in the coming weeks.

Jay

PerfectusVarrus

Apr 17, 2008, 2:19 AM
Post #137 of 507 (12307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Guys, I'm hoping to head to Rumney for some real climbing soon, whats the general procedure for camping at the field besides the crags? Just walk up and knock on the door to the house, or call ahead, or bring pizza?

jakedatc

Apr 17, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #138 of 507 (12300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knock on the left door before 7-8pm or call them beforehand and let them know you'll be coming in late. i don't have the number handy but someone can PM it to you.

it may be too early for them yet through.. alot depends on how wet the field is to be able to mow it and have cars not tear the shit out of it driving. basically.. call ahead

blueeyedclimber

Apr 18, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #139 of 507 (12227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PerfectusVarrus wrote:
Hey Guys, I'm hoping to head to Rumney for some real climbing soon, whats the general procedure for camping at the field besides the crags? Just walk up and knock on the door to the house, or call ahead, or bring pizza?

Some info about camping:

The camping area across from the climbing area is on private land and managed by an older retired couple. Their names are Joanne and Tom Camara. They are quirky but nice. Joanne handles most of the camping stuff. Tom just kind of works on the land and feeds their donkey, named Piper. To camp follow the dirt drive between the barn and the house which leads to an area by the river.

Everyone who camps there, must sign a waiver. If it's not too late or too early, then knock on the left door and meet Joanne. Watch out for Molly, their dog. They have 3 dogs, but Molly is the loudest. She is all bark and no bit, however (I think). They appreciate the gesture of calling ahead, but if you don't and just come in and camp, Joanne is always down in the morning to collect fees and make sure everyone has signed a waiver.

This camping site is only for climbers. For some reason, she thinks that climbers are good people (little does she know) ;) For this reason, it is very important that you follow rules and respect the land. This is a nice resource for us, and we don't need the actions of a few spoiling it for the rest of us.

Just a reminder, there are no showers, just a port-a-potty. It is next to a river, so if you do wash up there, please use biodegradable soap.

Thanks, and hope to see you there.

Josh

Partner jammer

May 12, 2008, 1:28 AM
Post #140 of 507 (12130 views)
Shortcut

Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

33 days to go ... been quite in the thread, so I thought I'd bring it back to the top.

jakedatc

May 12, 2008, 2:03 AM
Post #141 of 507 (12121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea yea! Al you busy this coming weekend? Jules is having a small shindig of her friends so i'll be up there but i'm in need of a partner since kate is going to be busy.

darkside

May 12, 2008, 7:53 AM
Post #142 of 507 (12113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
people with stronger convictions have tried.. i have gear and occasionally use it but changing my sport roots will probably not happen any time soon

Anyone been up near there recently? 'Biner wants me to help her with some group but i think it might still be soggy and ice falling down all over
When it gets all hot and humid over there, head north and turn left again. Follow the yellow brick road until you come to the Darkside and I'll show you the cold side. Be warned though - it's a long and treacherous road. Day 60 of ice happened this past weekend.

Feel the force you must, then know your true roots you will. The darkside will cure your wankery.....
bwaaa haa haaAngelic

wonderwoman

May 13, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #143 of 507 (12044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkside] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkside wrote:
When it gets all hot and humid over there, head north and turn left again. Follow the yellow brick road until you come to the Darkside and I'll show you the cold side. Be warned though - it's a long and treacherous road. Day 60 of ice happened this past weekend.

Feel the force you must, then know your true roots you will. The darkside will cure your wankery.....
bwaaa haa haaAngelic

Okay, guys, change of plans! We're all heading north and staying with darkside!

Hey darkside - do you at least have a donkey?

jakedatc

May 13, 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #144 of 507 (12032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you need to go north and then WAYYYYYY west.. he's no longer a quick 12 hour jaunt from MA like he used to be...

pfft.. only good thing in calgary is the Flames..oh wait.. no their not ;) JK i'm sure the ice is good!! (i await my penalty slack)

darkside

May 14, 2008, 3:45 AM
Post #145 of 507 (12016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WW - no donkey I'm afraid but I do know where to find a whole herd of elk instead, will they do?

pfft.... Jake, the Flames and those other NHL boys only play on WI 1. I prefer my ice a little bit steeper, or found in a rum & coke. I can still give you some penalty slack though if you remind me next time I have you on belay, hehe.
BTW - did I ever tell you about the time I placed a tricam in the ice as pro? Yes I had screws but the tricam seemed a better option......

Partner jammer

May 27, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #146 of 507 (11878 views)
Shortcut

Re:Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ruckus just 24 days!

Here is the phone number for those who are calling ahead; (603) 786-2330, after 4 PM and ask for Joanne. Tom informed me that there will be more then enough room! I would suggest doing so. I don't know if the rules are posted or if you are told of them when you arrive.

See ya all there!

(This post was edited by jammer on May 27, 2008, 5:01 PM)

bdbc

May 27, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #147 of 507 (11876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Re:Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is this the phone number for the campsite? and just calling ahead to give the people an idea of who is showing up? this is my first year doing this so i'm a little confused. thanks, and i'm realling looking forward to this, should be a lot of fun! Smile

Partner jammer

May 27, 2008, 4:55 PM
Post #148 of 507 (11872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bdbc] Re:Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

* OK, the first number I posted was Tom's cell phone number. I got it off the web. He was surprised that I got it, so, please, check a couple of posts up to ensure you have the right number! Sorry ... *

Yes, it is their home number. If they are not there, you'll get a message from "TC" to leave a message. This is the first year the Ruckus will be camping there, and if we leave an excellent impression, we'll be able to do it again. It IS right across the street from the main parking lot. We could not get any closer unless you slept in your car ... not allowed, I believe. Cool

(This post was edited by jammer on May 27, 2008, 5:03 PM)

Partner jammer

Jun 1, 2008, 3:35 AM
Post #149 of 507 (11837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that the fire is discouraging and the closure is temporary, but lets not have doubts about the Ruckus! This is three weeks away and there are many who are working hard to save the mountain.

I would like to suggest that this event be dedicated in honor to those who are placing their safety at risk to save Rattlesnake Mountain and the surrounding homes. Those of us who have climbed there, and there are many, remember how difficult it is to trek the hill, maneuvering around some sketchy hill side. We do it with just our climbing gear, they are loaded down with far more.

There will be a lot of damage up top, and it will probably be very ugly. Lets do our part, no matter how small, to make it a better place. Pack out what you bring in ... and then some. Let's do what we can to help!

Jammer

Partner jammer

Jun 1, 2008, 9:05 PM
Post #150 of 507 (11802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is an update from NEClimbs where Bob Brum discusses what he has seen.

In reply to:
Hi all,

Just an update, I had the opportunity As a representative of the RCAto walk some of the perimeter of the fire today with Acting district Ranger Tom Giles and Fire manager Erin Smalls. (hope I got the titles right)

The good news is that it appears that most of the crags have been spared any damage. we walked up to the top of orange crush, where the first fire damage is evident, it spread across the top of the main cliff and back up to the ridge line.

we hiked the worm hole trail, across to the top of bonsai, this whole area is burned pretty significantly. the was some fire damage to the trees at the base of bonsai but the crag remains unscathed.

we then went down to Vader and up to Wiamea, this area is pretty green and escaped damage. the trail up to jimmy cliff probably got hit the hardest but again, the cliff escaped damage.

The Wiamea trail designates the western edge of the fire so everything beyond that trial I believe is unscathed...

The fire is still burning up above the crags, the parking lots are being used as staging areas, There are hoses running all the way beyond the top of the main cliff and they expect that work will be going on for the remainder of the week.
For now Rumney is still closed and the USFS appreciates our support in spreading the word.

so good news all in all,

Cheers,

Bob

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook