Nov climbing in Minnesota
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

fo_d

Nov 1, 2002, 12:42 AM
Post #1 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Nov climbing in Minnesota  (North_America: United_States: Montana: Rock_Climbing: Livingston: Mill_Creek_Canyon: Mill_Creek_Crags)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

OK new month, Oct kinda sucked in terms of weather and November shouldnt be any better, but you never know.

The weatherman says mid 40's for Sat., anyone want to go? noonish would probably be warmest but we could probly start earlier.

Les

rockhugger

Nov 1, 2002, 12:57 AM
Post #2 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Nov climbing in Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post

Can you do barn bluff around 11?We could meet at burger king at 1030 for some greasy stuff first.

fo_d

Nov 1, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #3 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I dont do Burger slop but I can just meet you at the parking lot of thew bluff, I usually come in the back way and dont go by BK, but 11 sounds good so far.

Les

boltakrak

Nov 1, 2002, 1:08 AM
Post #4 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

there is no climbing in minesota, you live in climbing hell

fo_d

Nov 1, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #5 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Do you know where people who tease people who live in climbing hell go when they die?

North Dakota.

rockhugger

Nov 1, 2002, 1:39 AM
Post #6 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

NO BURGER SLOP!! See you there!!

pelliott

Nov 1, 2002, 3:09 AM
Post #7 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I will be at Red Wing this Saturday 9:00 AM. Mid forties is no problem for me. It looks like it will be sunny, so the rock should warm up nicely.

pelliott

Nov 1, 2002, 3:59 AM
Post #8 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Craig is coming. I am not sure about Todd yet. I will call him tomorrow.

duskerhu

Nov 1, 2002, 10:16 AM
Post #9 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

O.K., I'll bite... I guess I'm up for a little "finger freezing" Saturday at Barns...

However, I'm gonna let it get a bit warmer before I start climbing...

11:00 works for me... See y'all there...

Dann

fo_d

Nov 1, 2002, 10:35 PM
Post #10 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I dont dare start a thread on shoes these days but I was telling duskerhu about some shoes I heard about and I got some more info and I wanted to share it with all my MN partners. The www page is:

http://www.madrockshoes.com,

I e-mailed them asking about resoleing and the hooker sole and this is what they sent me:

Any resoler can resole the shoes, the rubber sheets and replacement Hooker soles are available starting next week. In addition we will do our own resoling and warranty work out of California.

The Hooker Sole is on the Hooker, Mugen and Shark Model. The Hooker heel comes on all models.

The catalog is being worked on right now but here is some other tech details.

Joe

Features Page inside cover

Dura Rand: A sticky yet very durable rand material used on Mad Rock shoe models exposed to high wear in the rand area.

3-D Molded Hooker Heel Cup: Patent pending, ribbed three dimensional design allows climbers to use their heels more effectively than ever possible. Hook, smudge, smear, jam, lock-- now you can do it all with your heel. Molded from the softer Mad Rock Formula #3 rubber used in areas of the shoe less prone to wear and tear, this rubber is stickier than the Formula #5.

3-D Molded Descent Heel: Tread has been added to the heels of the shoes for those grungy belay ledges and for that steep muddy descent after the climb. Molded from the softer Mad Rock Formula #3 used in areas of the shoe less prone to wear and tear, this rubber is stickier than the Formula #5.

Mad Rubber Formula #5: The optimal balance between sticky and hard, this top secret formula is light years ahead of any other rubber on the market. Formula #5 is used on the hooking rim of the Hooker, Mugen and Shark in addition to being used on the soles of the Flash and Phoenix.

4.2mm Mad Rubber Formula #5: Available to resolers worldwide, this sheet rubber is also used on the Mad Rock Flash and Phoenix models.

Reinforced Double Stitching: A sign of quality sewing used to reinforce high stress areas and limit material stretch.

Dual External Directional Pull Tabs: Not only are there two pull tabs at the heel of the shoe, they are angled in the natural direction that you would pull on them. The tabs are attached to the outside of the heel cup so as not to be uncomfortable.

2mm Mad Rubber Rand Formula #6: Available to resolers worldwide, this rubber is very sticky yet durable. F6 is used on the Hooker, Shark, Mugen and Flash models.

3mm Polyester Midsole: A firm midsole offering more support for those long climbs or for standing in etriers. It is used in the Phoenix model.

1mm Texan Midsole: Wafer thin and ultra sensitive midsole used in the Shark and Flash performance slippers.

1.5mm Molded Polyester Midsole: This sensitive yet firm three dimensional molded midsole is what makes the Mugen one of the best all-around climbing shoes on the planet.

3-D Nylon Molded Midsole: Zero compromise. This 3D molded open center nylon midsole combined with the Hooker 3D concave dual density dual thickness sole make the Hooker series the ultimate footwear for the vertical environment. Ultra thin and gummy-soft in the center, with a firm and sticky rim for the smallest of micro edges.

3-D Molded Dual Density, Dual Thickness Hooker Sole: Pure technology, the sole has a concave shape for more powerful edging and for more surface contact while smearing. This sole is dual density, meaning it has soft and gummy Formula #3 rubber in the center, and a firm and sticky Formula #5 rubber rim. It is also dual thickness, with a thin center for smearing and a strong rim for edging. The Hooker rim allows for grabbing and clawing at tiny holds and, of course, hooking. Patent pending.

Seamless Binding Tape: The binding around the ankle is a seamless continuous band for comfort, carefully placed to reinforce the pull tabs, and strengthens the overall integrity of the shoe.

Padded Leather Tongue: Tried and true, comfortable and strong.

Padded Neoprene Tongue: Comfortable and convenient. Designed to work perfectly with our twin Loctite Velcro tensioning system. Used in the Flash and Mugen models.

Low Profile Lycra Tongue: Soft, comfortable, works in conjunction with the YKK zipper in the Hooker Zip model.

Mad Rock Molded Logo: Our proof of perfection—waterproof, UV resistant, durable and darn cool looking. If we put this much time and effort into just our logo tabs, just think about what we did to the shoes they are attached to.

Loctite Velcro Quick Fit System: Heavy duty Velcro for extended life, easy-grab molded pull tabs for rapid adjustment.

2.0mm Ultra Suede Leather: Plush split-grain leather with environmentally friendly dye process, offering an unbeatable combination of comfort, strength and durability.

Locking Zipper: Classic YKK industrial zipper for years of trouble free use with locking pull tab. Used on the Hooker Zip model.

Ribbed Power Upper with Vents: Dual textured rubber upper covering the majority of the forefoot, adding more than 30% rubber to the design of the Hooker and Hooker Zip. Ridges facilitate toe hooking and jamming. Ventilated for breathability.

Synthahyde With Cotton Lining: Cotton lined low stretch synthetic upper material used in the Mugen.

Side Entry System: A Mad Rock design first, used on the Hooker and Hooker Zip models. Moving the shoe closures to the side allows for greater surface area coverage of Mad Rubber on the top of the shoe, making the Hooker twins the shoes to beat for toe hooking, jamming and crack climbing.

brianscott79

Nov 2, 2002, 12:10 AM
Post #11 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Sorry guys I cant make it this weekend i have to work this weekend from 630-1030 at night so i am out but thanks for the invite. maybe next time.
Will

rockhugger

Nov 2, 2002, 2:12 AM
Post #12 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I've got 12 quickdraws and I'll take 2 D biners for them, if anyone is interested. I'll bring them tomorrow. Jeff

pelliott

Nov 2, 2002, 2:58 AM
Post #13 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thanks for the shoe info Les. They look like great shoes, and they also have a great price. I think I have something to put on my christmas list.

brianscott79

Nov 2, 2002, 4:37 AM
Post #14 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Well i changed my mind I will be there but i am going to have to leave by like 430. see ya there. I need draws jeff maybe we will talk tommarrow. will

fo_d

Nov 2, 2002, 4:50 AM
Post #15 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey p_man, I see you. you gonna make it tomarrow?

fo_d

Nov 2, 2002, 5:16 AM
Post #16 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

pumpkin_man and Faye need a ride, he is tring to get ahold of duskerhu but if he cant, is there anyone who can get them, I think he lives by Midwest mountaineering.

[ This Message was edited by: fo_d on 2002-11-01 21:23 ]

pumpkin_man

Nov 2, 2002, 7:48 AM
Post #17 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

It's okay! we decided not to bother you guys. Becides, i gotta get my laundry done and re-pack my luggage before i leave...

Thank you guys! Have a good climb!

Pump

lightboi

Nov 3, 2002, 7:44 AM
Post #18 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Today was a glorius day for climbing at barns bluff MN, mid 40's and sunny. I met up with a bunch of RC.com'ers and had a good time. But here is the catch. I had my entire rack stolen. Me and(drat i forget his name) were working on a stuck BD cam that has been a booty target for about a year, and we noticed heavy smoke working thru the trees. As fall is coming to an end the fallen leaves are about ankle deep. We found the source of smoke and there and behold are 3 little dirtball kids between 14-16. One was wearing a black knit hat with a Playboy logo on it. They had started a fire in the middle of leaf litter and not even scraped a bit of cear ground around it. We told them(a little bit aggresivly) put it out and go use one of several established fire scars/rings. They glared at us and said"well the leaves are damp any way" We went back around the buttress(50' away) to finnish working on the stuck cam. They boys left about ten minutes later and I and the guy who I cant remember,(sorry I have been drinking a little bit tonight) checked thier still smoldering embers amongst all the leaf litter. We stomped it out, and made our way back to the parking lot. I had left a rope bag and a black canvas daypack at where the trail spits to head to winter wall and the north side of the bluff. My gear was gone. I looked around up top, no packs, I sprinted to the parking lot and saw Todd( a non rccom'er) looking in my rope bag. Momentarly relieved and the goodness of climbers I went to retrieve the bag, but alas he had only the rope bag, no backpack. Todd had found my rope bag laying at the side of the trail 100' before you reach the concrete steps. RC.comers to the rescue, the sun had just set, flashlights, head lamps apeared and off into the woods we went looking for a black bag in the dark. And because I am writing this and I have a pretty good drunk going on, we failed. I THANK ALL OF YOU THAT HELPED IN THE FRUITLESS SEARCH. THE BEER FAIRY WILL BE KIND TO ALL OF YOU. I called the cops filed a report for the missing bag and made a arson complaint against the kids.

Now to the Losses
aliens...green to clear, 6 i think
forged friends...2-4, 5 cams
1 set WC rocks
1 set BD stoppers
1 set hexes, 4-10
12 quickdraws
20-30 bieners, most are 10year old rei bluegates
9 locking beiners
4 runners, blue with black stripe
2 double runners same color as above
1 wedding ring
1 pair of sportiva old mega's
1 arxtex harness
2 reverso's
1 set of car/house/work keys
1 box of girl scout thin mints
1 pack of parilment lights with bic inside pack
1 disposible camera(blaze orange)
total value of rack about 1750.
value of ring 350

Now I figure that the kids ditched the pack somewhere so that they could come and f--- with my car later(ha ha little bastards, my wife came and brought the extra set of keys) so I have my car back.

I will be spending all day searching for my pack and I hope to be lucky, since I was so stupid to leave 2 packs where some punk kids could f--- with them. Maybe my karma will be better tomorrow, and I hope to charge these little bastards with attempted arson.

really really really really drunk
josh

rockhugger

Nov 3, 2002, 7:59 AM
Post #19 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Watch for these kids when your climbing at the Bluff next time. They are not climbers.Keep your gear with you ,I know I left some of my stuff lying around today too.Not anymore though.The black hat with the Playboy logo is what your looking for.What kind of dipshit wears that crap,a thieving street punk!

fo_d

Nov 3, 2002, 5:46 PM
Post #20 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

That sucks! Dann and I saw your packs at the split in the trail on our way down, Its too bad we didnt happen upon it while the little peckers were grabbing it.

You can pretty much bet that they are from that hood just below the bluffs, probly some of the same rats that go up top and throw rocks off. I dont know when or how often I'll get up there this fall, but you can bet I'll be watching for them.

Les

lightboi

Nov 4, 2002, 12:42 AM
Post #21 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

My Karma is all better, after tromping through the woods with my trusty dog, Storm, for 3 hours I was ready to give up, and then I noticed a trail looping behind the big concrete water tank. 150' down that trail I saw my empty backpack up in a tree. All of the gear had been taken of the gear sling and scatered. The little bastards even took the quick draws apart. I managed to find all of my cams and hexes. They kept my carkeys, but left my house keys and the bottle opener that I have had since freshman year of college. Gear wise I am short about 5 beiners, 2 quickdraws, and a couple of small stoppers. I also recovered my wedding ring on one of the locking beiners. When I find the little bastards...

In my conversation with the cop she said that they have had lots of problems of cars being broken into this season.

Thank you all who helped in the search and the beer fairy will smile on all of you.

Who wants to go out next week?
Long term forcast looks favorable.

not drunk anymore
josh

ps. they even stole my thin mints....

[ This Message was edited by: lightboi on 2002-11-03 16:47 ]

fo_d

Nov 4, 2002, 1:30 AM
Post #22 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Josh, glad to hear you got most of it back, what they dont realize is that we go out there quite a bit and one of us is gonna see that hat and call the cops.
As for next week, I was thinking of asking Dann and Louis if they wanted to go Fri. Dann has his Kids this weekend and probly wont be able to do Sat, I have a projuct going and I must make alot of progress on it Tue. - Thurs to be able to justify going climbing Fri. if we do go, it'd be great if you could hook up with us, or anyone else who wants to. we'll post what we're doing here.

Les

rockhugger

Nov 4, 2002, 1:36 AM
Post #23 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'll be there saturday if you can go. 1000 in the morning,we can start on jam n jelly

pelliott

Nov 4, 2002, 2:33 AM
Post #24 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'll be there Saturday.

rockhugger

Nov 4, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #25 of 93 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I am looking forward to climbing with everyone.I would like to see if I can find the rest of the gear that was lost.Does anyone have a metal detector?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook