Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
you punks are the reason it is closed.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

riverfunkron

Nov 1, 2002, 6:02 PM
Post #1 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

you punks are the reason it is closed.  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Eastern: Grindstone_Mtn)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Grindstone was our little secret, our own little backyard haven for Cleveland and Colledgedale. It really makes me angry that so many people started coming and ruined it for us. By the way, play hater is actually called "Half Fontainebleau" as named by the original sender, Justin Duff. We lived and breathed Grindstone.

veilneb

Nov 1, 2002, 6:15 PM
Post #2 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

you punks are the reason it is closed. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What makes you think that you had any more right to climb there then anyone else?

Aren't we being a little elitist?

boz84

Nov 1, 2002, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, the rock isnt only for you, BUT!

Give us some more details, why was it closed down.
obviously some people came and did not respoect the rock or the area around it. I woudl way rather have 5 elitist's than 1 scumbag who does not care about the rock.

eshi-1
Deleted

Nov 1, 2002, 6:57 PM
Post #4 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Insead of complaining, why not try to educate those "bad guys" of your and talk to them about what it is they do that bothers you so much and that might or did cause access issues ?

boulderingmadman

Nov 1, 2002, 6:58 PM
Post #5 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lets get a coupla questions answered...was it private property? did you have land manager's permission to climb there? was the area publicized(an obvious question if "outsiders" were there)? were there access issues and measures taken to prevent access issues? was the developement under strict guidlines?

the point im trying to get at is this--every area should be cleared through the local land managers before any developement takes place. any publicity for an area should be cleared, and distinct guidlines for access, actions and attitudes should be clearly in place BEFORE any developement takes place...if these things werent done, its as much the fault f the "original developers" as it is the "punks". im not pointing the finger, just trying to clear away the emotion, and open up the reason...

pushfurther

Nov 1, 2002, 7:03 PM
Post #6 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can't tell anybody and expect them not to tell other people.

mtnsprts

Nov 1, 2002, 7:09 PM
Post #7 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once the word is out, you can't really monitor who comes to climb. I wish we could sometimes, but, that is just not the case.

riverfunkron

Dec 3, 2002, 4:52 AM
Post #8 of 18 (7232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grindstone is on private property. Big houses with lots of land everywhere. It is like the "in" to have a bunch of wooded land in oltewah or something it seems. Anyways, Big white house down the road from the foot trailhead is the owner's house. In their backyard is an offroad trail that goes all the way to the top of the mountain and runs closely to the main bouldering areas. A group of 4 or so guys were the only ones who knew about it at first. These guys, a little older than me started taking me there to climb and we enjoyed it to ourselves. Then I decided to take two of my best friends who I thought could be trusted to enjoy this gem of a place. We had asked them to use the trail and they let us but that is when the trouble started. One of my friends invited some of his stupid friends to go camping there. Camping was bad news. They shot fireworks all night and put us on bad legs with the owners. Then to make it worse kids at TBA found out about G-Stone and the masses started coming, filming and camping. Not really that many but enough to ruin it for us. Now they tow anyone who parks on in the gravel pulloff that is the only parking. There are ways to get to grindstone, but inconvenient. There is a road on the back side of the mountain where you can not park, or drive on the road, but you can park somewhere esle and walk. What we prefer to do is go from 9-5 when the lady of the house is gone mostly, or we park at the baptist church across the highway and walk or ride a bike to the trail. I wouldn't suggest trying theses though, definitely illegal to climb at g-stone and the lady will get pretty mad if you are caught. I have never met her, but others have.

mountainman88

Dec 6, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #9 of 18 (6066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [riverfunkron] you punks are the reason it is closed. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is another trail through the grindtone trailer park that one could walk. it takes 30 minutes longer but this is one way you could avoid the lady that lives by the common trail. food for thought.

suilenroc

Dec 6, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #10 of 18 (5995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, sounds like you did it to yourself... Unimpressed

I'd stay away and maybe after sometime go through the appropriate channels to get access. If it doesn't happen then tough luck, learn from your mistakes.

lofstromc

Dec 6, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #11 of 18 (5969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The saying "loose lips sink ships" seems appropriate right about now.

Partner angry

Dec 6, 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #12 of 18 (5962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] you punks are the reason it is closed. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So this was 6 years ago. Has anything changed?

Hennessey

Dec 6, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #13 of 18 (5955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

riverfunkron wrote:
Then I decided to take two of my best friends who I thought could be trusted to enjoy this gem of a place. We had asked them to use the trail and they let us but that is when the trouble started. One of my friends invited some of his stupid friends to go camping there. Camping was bad news. They shot fireworks all night and put us on bad legs with the owners. Then to make it worse kids at TBA found out about G-Stone and the masses started coming, filming and camping. Not really that many but enough to ruin it for us..

Sounds like your to blame.

(This post was edited by Hennessey on Dec 6, 2008, 11:59 PM)

lodi5onu

Dec 8, 2008, 1:23 PM
Post #14 of 18 (5745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hennessey] you punks are the reason it is closed. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hennessey wrote:
riverfunkron wrote:
Then I decided to take two of my best friends who I thought could be trusted to enjoy this gem of a place. We had asked them to use the trail and they let us but that is when the trouble started. One of my friends invited some of his stupid friends to go camping there. Camping was bad news. They shot fireworks all night and put us on bad legs with the owners. Then to make it worse kids at TBA found out about G-Stone and the masses started coming, filming and camping. Not really that many but enough to ruin it for us..

Sounds like your to blame.

UPDATE: In 2003 following a horrendous "noodling" accident which left riverfunkron with only 7.5 fingers, he decided to give up climbing. He is now an avid sport-hiker and extreme walking adventurist. His efforts at G-stone will be sorely missed.

ratrap2

Dec 20, 2008, 1:40 AM
Post #15 of 18 (5540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

see this is just f'd up to start with. if the area is closed why post it in the first place? so other people can go up and piss off the land owner? if an area is closed dont post it you moron. if you ever hope to get access contact the scc or something. dont put it on a public climbing forum.

semster3390

Apr 4, 2010, 3:44 AM
Post #16 of 18 (4989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] you punks are the reason it is closed. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So did you ever hear if anything had changed with the owners at Grindstone? Cause this "slice of heaven" as it is so called is definitely like two miles from my house.. So if you hear anything please let me know! :)

boymeetsrock

Apr 4, 2010, 7:05 AM
Post #17 of 18 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [semster3390] you punks are the reason it is closed. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

semster3390 wrote:
So did you ever hear if anything had changed with the owners at Grindstone? Cause this "slice of heaven" as it is so called is definitely like two miles from my house.. So if you hear anything please let me know! :)

Why don't you walk down the road and chat up the land owner then?

threebenoits

Jul 21, 2010, 9:41 AM
Post #18 of 18 (4537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so is it still closed??? this is where i really started climbing... it's been years since it closed, come on people! make friends with the owners... get some rules, it needs to be opened...i want to climb when i come back home for visits! haha

(This post was edited by threebenoits on Jul 21, 2010, 9:42 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook