RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Jun 14, 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 7 (683 views)
Shortcut

Looking to buy rope for second
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So my regular partner is a pretty good climber. I'm thinking I should get a good rope for following routes because I'm usually his ropegun.

So what would be a good rope for following routes? It's usually 5.12 and he usually is in Miura's if that helps.

ThanXXX!!!

chossmonkey

Jun 14, 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #2 of 7 (665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Looking to buy rope for second [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since he is only following you can probably get away with a very thin line. You don't want to be weighed down by a heavy line when you are leading.

You might want to look into getting a static line, since thin lines tend to stretch a lot. If he was following a very long pitch and fell off only 20' feet up, it would be possible that he could hit the ground with rope stretch. A static line would prevent this.

stymingersfink

Jun 15, 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #3 of 7 (649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Looking to buy rope for second [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Since he is only following you can probably get away with a very thin line. You don't want to be weighed down by a heavy line when you are leading.

You might want to look into getting a static line, since thin lines tend to stretch a lot. If he was following a very long pitch and fell off only 20' feet up, it would be possible that he could hit the ground with rope stretch. A static line would prevent this.
Yeah, the static suggestion is a good one, as I doubt angry's gonna fall off anything his second can actually get up on a top-rope anyway.

Thinking of which, who is your second these days angry? Is it zeke... ci... or perhaps someone new?

dutyje

Jun 15, 2008, 1:54 AM
Post #4 of 7 (633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
So my regular partner is a pretty good climber. I'm thinking I should get a good rope for following routes because I'm usually his ropegun.

So what would be a good rope for following routes? It's usually 5.12 and he usually is in Miura's if that helps.

ThanXXX!!!

I'd recommend this:
http://www.fishusa.com/...5042990FAE1&fx=1

(This post was edited by dutyje on Jun 15, 2008, 1:56 AM)

Alpine07

Jun 15, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #5 of 7 (621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im surprised that nobody has brought this up yet, but sty is trying to sell his first rope. It is by far the best deal I have seen on a rope. I think Beal charges a minimum of $250 to have a rope tested that extensively. Check out the thread, I'd give you the link, but im too lazy for that.

Partner angry

Jun 15, 2008, 9:31 AM
Post #6 of 7 (586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Looking to buy rope for second [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:

Yeah, the static suggestion is a good one, as I doubt angry's gonna fall off anything his second can actually get up on a top-rope anyway.

Thinking of which, who is your second these days angry? Is it zeke... ci... or perhaps someone new?

wmfork mostly, he's pretty strong but keeps chasing tail. Wekeness is imminent.

quiteatingmysteak

Jun 15, 2008, 9:47 AM
Post #7 of 7 (584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

ThanXXX!!!

OMG!!!!1 This is such a stupid question! Go back to the gym lightweight conk shell. Why does shoe mater at all?? u cna use N E rope pretty much so long as it is STRECHY to absorb impacting forces from belay.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook