Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hueco

Nov 2, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #1 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Glucosamine
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am curious about people's experiences with Glucosamine supplements. Positive, negative, no results? It's expensive but I decided to give it a try because my fingers are always achy.

Any other supplements that people recommend?

Advil daily or just after climbing?

If this has been discussed previously, please refer me to a previous post.

cloudbreak

Nov 2, 2002, 12:40 AM
Post #2 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Glucosamine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I take a glucosimine/chondroitin(sp?) supplement daily. I hear ya on the cost, it's real pricey. If you have a Costco/Sam's Club nearby, they carry a generic version of it, with the exact same ingredients, but WAY cheaper.....250 tablets/$19.99. As far as results, I can't say personally, but I know people(parents) that feel they have greatly benefitted from it.

Marc

kiwidave

Nov 2, 2002, 12:40 AM
Post #3 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i have used glucosamine for tweeky pullies which i pulled while climbing. I saw a friend who owns a health food shop and recommended that i try it. It was a micro genetics one. What i found was good. It dosent fix your pulled pullies over night but it fixs them a lot quicker than if you werent taking it. It was also recommended to keep taking it afterwards becuase it provides an ensyme which aids faster recovery over tendons and helps with atheritis. continued use helps prevent injury again and i think work them a lot harder without feeling as sore the next day. In New Zealand, rugby players take it to help prevent and cure injury to these areas like ankles an arckillies. i have stopped taking it but have found that my fingers are as strong as ever and no probs with the old injury. Also if your fingers hurt try resting and stretching them just by gently bending them backwards. after a short rest take it easy to let your fingers get used to the load again. This is based on my own experiance and what i have talked to people about. Hopes this helps and let me now what you think

Dave

astone

Nov 2, 2002, 12:52 AM
Post #4 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had awesome results with glucosamine after ankle surgery. It helped my achilles tendon heal up very nicely.

marcel

Nov 2, 2002, 12:59 AM
Post #5 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sure works on bad knees!

cyberhobo

Nov 2, 2002, 1:05 AM
Post #6 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have read an evaluation of Glucosamine studies that indicated that it _may_ be effective for enhancing regeneration of cartilege in cases of arthritis, and also may slow cartilege degradation in athletes. I concluded that it might be worth taking to prevent wear on joints.

Studies that tested Glucosamine Sulfate and Glucosamine Hydrochloride generally reported better results than other forms.

This is from memory - I can look up my source given a few days if you must know it...

boz84

Nov 2, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #7 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We give my older dog glucosamine/chondritin that is made for dogs. It has visibly improved the pain he sometiems feels when walking.

It used to take him 10-15 seconds to sit down or stand up, but since taking the supplements, taht has drmaticaly decreased.

gunked

Nov 2, 2002, 3:36 AM
Post #8 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is an older post about Glucosamine. Regardless, I work for a company that's only product is a Glucosamine drink called Joint Juice.

The current findings are as follows:
-Glucosamine works for about 75% to %80 of people who try it.
-The recommended daily doseage is 1500 mg.
-It needs to be taken every day to be effective.

Oh who am I kidding, this could take a while. To whoever's interested, please reply with a request for specific information. If I don't have it at hand, I can probably get a hold of it pretty easily.

Long story short, the stuff works pretty well for most people and enough to justify the expense.
Jason

jansuw

Nov 2, 2002, 4:44 AM
Post #9 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds really good, but are there any negative side effects? Short or long term... Seems like this hasn't even been considered

gunked

Nov 2, 2002, 7:37 AM
Post #10 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This has been considered.
Testing on Glucosamine started around 1980. There are no known negative side-effects to Glucosamine in either sulfate or hydrochloride (liquid) form.

The other day I noticed that one company that makes a Glucosamine product actually tells people with shellfish allergies to not take the product.

Glucosamine is derived from the shells of shellfish. The allergies, however, are a result of the protein found in the meat, not the shell. This company clearly didn't do their homework.

Long story short, Glucosamine is safe.

Jason

thomasribiere

Nov 2, 2002, 1:15 PM
Post #11 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used them in the 80's for knee problems with no result as I can remember.

But now as a vet, I prescribe them for dogs with degenerative joint disease. It works pretty well, though some dogs can get diarrhea...

Their aim is to modify the anatomical structure of the cartilage ; they are also known as symptomatical molecules with anti DJD with slow action (over 4 weeks).

Glucosamine is a small molecule derievd from glucose ; it's a monomere for glucosaminoglycanes (keratane, hyaluronate...)

Chondroitine, (extracted from cow trachea, squales, mussels shells...), is a polymere of high molecular weight which is partially absorbed in the bowel. The absorbed part has a high affinity for bone epiphysis et synovia, ie the joints.

However, the action lasts for weeks (4to8 weeks), much higher than placebos.
The radiographic studies show a stabilisation of the lesions (not an improvement).

Moreover, the use of glucosamine and/or chondroitine allows a reduction of the use of the anti-inflammatory drugs, which is good.

And as a vet, I can see the results on dogs which are goods. But yes, it's expensive, and you have to make 2 or 3 cures of 1 month each avery year.

I don't know if it works on tendon, it's not the purpose of this drugs!

HOPE THIS HELPED YOU!

micahmcguire

Nov 2, 2002, 11:12 PM
Post #12 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a godsend and a breakthrough in pharaceutical therapy. Take it even if you don't think you have degenerating tendons and joints. Its good for you any way you slice it.

bighigaz

Nov 3, 2002, 12:58 AM
Post #13 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I've got aches and pains, and I'm definately up for tryin Glucosimine... but It's going to run about $30 an month to get a descent amount. I recently read that GRAPE SEED Extract is super potent, and has the same general effects, with some added advantages... besides the fact that it is a natural extract... not so artificial seems like a better idea... just a thought.

jgill

Nov 3, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #14 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For a reasonable product, try Shiff "Glucosamine 1000" sold by Walmart. I think it costs about $16 for a month's supply. Two huge tablets a day. It seems to have helped my knees.

katydid

Nov 3, 2002, 11:30 AM
Post #15 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried an MSM/glucosamine combo, but it upset my stomach so badly I couldn't continue it long enough to get results. Before I go spend a zillion dollars on glucosamine without MSM, does anyone know which causes the tummy-ache?

I'm 31, but my left knee's about 70. It could use the help.

Kate

estherator

Nov 5, 2002, 6:23 PM
Post #16 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have so many old joint injuries at 29 that it's ridiculous. (That's what happens when you're too stubborn to quit when your biody tells you to) However, when I'm taking my supplements, I've little to no symptoms, when I stop for a week, they start acting up again. Glucosamine Sulfate, and Chondroitin for the cartilage and synovial fluids; MSM for soft tissue. GNC makes it in one supplement and so does worldimagenaturals.com. They are both quality products.

If you are allergic to shellfish or sulfur-do not take these supplements!

jhwnewengland

Nov 5, 2002, 6:30 PM
Post #17 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As gunked said earlier, the shellfish allergy is false. Glucosamine is made from their shells, not their meat (which is what one can be allergic to).

I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM and it's definitely helped with my tendonitis and several knee injuries. Less pain. I've had no negative side effects.

Jan

tradguy

Nov 5, 2002, 6:39 PM
Post #18 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I missed it, but what is MSM (ie what does it stand for)? And what are its benefits? Someone said something about soft tissue - presumably tendons and ligaments?

I had ACL surgery a year ago, and while somedays my knee seems completely fine, others it is sore and painful. Really sucks. I think the ACL is fine, but there was some cartiledge damage also that I think didn't really heal up too well. I've been thinking about trying some of this stuff, but not sure. I like the idea of getting it cheap, but is the Walmart stuff as good as the stuff from GNC (typically expensive, I think). How much are you guys paying at GNC for a month's supply?

lynne

Nov 5, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #19 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not take glucosamine if you are diabetic. While it has helped my old knees and back and shoulder tremendously, my doctor is convinced it has contributed to my insulin resistance. Apparently there is solid research supporting this theory.

katydid

Nov 6, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #20 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MSM's a DMSO derivative.

Kate

jhwnewengland

Nov 8, 2002, 3:44 AM
Post #21 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane (as if that meant anything to anyone). The stuff at Walmart should be just as good as the GNC stuff.. They're just minerals, really.

All three are for joints and tissues, but I'd say Glucosamine/Chondroitin is the more serious combo for ligaments and tendons. They all contain sulfur, which is a building block of joints and tissues (MSM is actually a source of sulfur). Can't hrt to go with all three if you can spare the dough.

bighigaz

Nov 29, 2002, 2:00 AM
Post #22 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I started taking glucosimine about two weeks ago... I have 45 days worth, and I am curious to see how much better I feel in a month... It's supposed to take actual effect after 2 or three months... I'll keep you all informed on my progress... (and I promise I'll let you know if I start getting boobs. )

[ This Message was edited by: bighigaz on 2003-01-06 06:34 ]

curt

Nov 29, 2002, 2:24 AM
Post #23 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that most of the hard evidence for glucosamine effectivness relates to cartilidge, rather than tendons. However, my fingers do seem less sore after bouldering since I been taking glucosamine--so maybe it does some good. As someone posted above, the recommended dose is 1500 mg/day.

Curt

wallrat

Nov 29, 2002, 3:23 AM
Post #24 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had really good luck with four things for joints. It looks like the Glucosamine/Chondroitin is about the single best, but also look at MSM, and simple Gelatine, as in Knox & Jello (didn't know it was a health suplement did you?) which you can find in bulk in any good health food place. Without them, I'm toast. Luck to you, Gene.

ksfrogman

Dec 3, 2002, 5:16 AM
Post #25 of 49 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice thread. Interesting comments. I actually bought some for my 69-year-old mom for her arthritic knees and she says it has really helped her. As a climber, maybe I shouldn't wait till I'm that age.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook