Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

laanguiano

Jun 25, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #1 of 79 (13521 views)
Shortcut

Clipping into Belay Loop!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So the gym near my house doesnt tie you into your harness with a figure 8 knot. They clip you in with a steel autolocking biner instead to your belay loop.

Any of your places do this? They dont even let me tie in correctly. Frustrates me cause now I dont want to take my own harness.

(This post was edited by laanguiano on Jun 25, 2008, 10:41 PM)

mheyman

Jun 25, 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #2 of 79 (13478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [laanguiano] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

laanguiano wrote:
So the gym near my house doesnt tie you into your harness with a figure 8 knot. They clip you in with a steel autolocking biner instead to your belay loop.

"My gym"

TR clip existing loop into two locking biners. Don't think they care if the biners are through leg and waist belt, or through bely loop.

Lead traditional knot tie in - 8, modified bowline...

In reply to:
Any of your places do this? They dont even let me tie in correctly. Frustrates me cause now I dont want to take my own harness.

Because?

dovaka

Jun 25, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #3 of 79 (13428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive only ever seen "mall" kind of places and those carnival towers do that
do they give you a reason for it or is it just because

shoo

Jun 26, 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #4 of 79 (13416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dovaka] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's all get a little realistic here. Steel biners are ridiculously strong. Minor axis strength, usually the weakest, is usually above or around 10kn. You aren't going to go even close to the breaking strength of one of those pretty much no matter how hard you try in a gym. You aren't.

It's far faster to clip some guy in with a 'biner than it is to tie someone in properly. Slightly, less safe, granted, but far faster when you're dealing with large quantities of people.

I'm in the all-gyms-which-clip-you-in-with-'biner--instead-of-using-a-proper-knot-and-require-you-to-use-a-grigri-to-belay-because-it's-"safer"-so-you-don't-learn-how-to-properly-belay-or-tie-an-f'ing-knot-for-the-life-of-you-should-f***-off-and-die camp as much as the next guy. But seriously. It isn't going to break.

dovaka

Jun 26, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #5 of 79 (13348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont think its really all that much less safe i just find a 1/2 pound biner flopping around annoying

bigwhitej

Jun 26, 2008, 3:13 AM
Post #6 of 79 (13326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really should not be problem except that the belay loop is not rated for a dynamic fall. It is really only for static weight. So with top roping if the belayer has the rope fairly tight the whole time then there should be no issue but I personally would not trust it any sort of a dynamic fall.

uni_jim

Jun 26, 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #7 of 79 (13320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigwhitej] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:
It really should not be problem except that the belay loop is not rated for a dynamic fall. It is really only for static weight. So with top roping if the belayer has the rope fairly tight the whole time then there should be no issue but I personally would not trust it any sort of a dynamic fall.

what the hell does that mean? What do you think is happening when you catch a fall with it? Are my quickdraws rated for a dynamic fall? How about the leg loops and swami on my harness?

about the TRing with a carabiner tie in, at the gym i go to, they use that on a couple of the ropes (the ones that have a grigri permanantly attached) but the have you tie in with a fig8 for most of the top rope, and all lead.

bigwhitej

Jun 26, 2008, 3:36 AM
Post #8 of 79 (13307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uni_jim] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What it means is that you always want to double up on everything you use when it is reasonable. If you clip into two loops that better than clipping into only one item and if you can eliminate the beaner you are elimanting one more item that could potentially fail. With your quickdraws you are relying on having multiple draws to hold you when you reach a hight that a fall would kill you. This is why there is always at least two bolts on TR routes and most sport routes.. Also with your loop not being rated for dynamic falls, the only real time that you really ever aply anywhere close to the force of a dynamic fall is when you are belaying a lead fall. the thing is that the is so much friction in the system your belay loop really does not receive the same force as the harness on the falling climber.

Partner angry

Jun 26, 2008, 3:42 AM
Post #9 of 79 (13299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:

That statement just made my evening. You're a funny dude, dude.

laanguiano

Jun 26, 2008, 3:42 AM
Post #10 of 79 (13299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Id rather not take my own harness because 1) That will wear out your belay loop quicker, 2) The belay loop is designed to belay.. not take hard falls.

I'm not worried about it since I'm just TR'ing, but id rather not use improper technique in my harness. Ill save the mileage and wear out their belay loops instead.

shoo

Jun 26, 2008, 3:44 AM
Post #11 of 79 (13299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:

Laang, please direct yourself the manuals of virtually every harness manufacturer in the business as well as the numerous independent tests performed on the subject. Your statement is hopelessly misinformed.

Belay loops are probably the single burliest piece on your harness. They are made to withstand forces that would have killed you long before the loop would have broken a metaphorical sweat.

The real reason I hate gyms and organizations clipping in with carabiners and requiring belaying with gri-gris is because both practices encourage complacence. In the absence of proper knowledge and experience, which they are often used to replace, they are dangerous.

Edited to note: You are absolutely correct in that it is better to tie in properly rather than clip in with a carabiner. No disagreements there.

I disagree with your statement about wear. Rope-on-harness interaction will wear a harness far more than carabiner on rope except in those rare circumstances where the gate of the biner catches or something.

(This post was edited by shoo on Jun 26, 2008, 3:47 AM)

moose_droppings

Jun 26, 2008, 3:44 AM
Post #12 of 79 (13298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:

Thanks for the chuckle on an otherwise sad day.

stymingersfink

Jun 26, 2008, 4:00 AM
Post #13 of 79 (13285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
bigwhitej wrote:

That statement just made my evening. You'reThis is a funny dudethread, dude.

bigwhitej

Jun 26, 2008, 7:44 AM
Post #14 of 79 (13221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok then so why is it that we would tie our figure 8 into both loops not just the belay loop afterall there must be a reason why every recognized guiding outfit in the world does it this way. That is my point. GYMS SHOULD NOT USE BEANERS IN BELAY LOOPS.

sungam

Jun 26, 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #15 of 79 (13199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
bigwhitej wrote:

Thanks for the chuckle on an otherwise sad day/quote]

-MagnuS
(P.S. needz to learn to pic up like teh A_B)
Attachments: dave.JPG (33.0 KB)

getout87

Jun 26, 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #16 of 79 (13175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:
Ok then so why is it that we would tie our figure 8 into both loops not just the belay loop afterall there must be a reason why every recognized guiding outfit in the world does it this way. That is my point. GYMS SHOULD NOT USE BEANERS IN BELAY LOOPS.

Wow, incredible is the amount of sense that you don't make.

spacemonkey07

Jun 26, 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #17 of 79 (13173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing partner ties his figure 8 also in his belay loop.

Reasons?

- less wear on the harness. (leg loops are the first to wear, long before the belay loop does)
- he doesn't want a big chunky knot close to his body, he likes it floating around more
- a lot of people start discussions with him why he does this, you know, the 'one more link to break in the chain of links which have to save your life in case of a dynamic fall

c4c

Jun 26, 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #18 of 79 (13165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spacemonkey07] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should be most worried about the knot in the end of the rope, that is left in there forever, weakening the rope, more than the biner or belay loop.

colatownkid

Jun 26, 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #19 of 79 (13136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:

um...

the reason you don't tie into your belay loop is not because it isn't strong enough.

(just for reference, since this particular thread seems to be about blowing bull shit out of our noses and calling it breathing, you might want to read this: http://www.bdel.com/...ch_harness%20WEB.pdf)

you'll find that harness manufacturers typically send out their gear with INSTRUCTIONS on how to use them. if you were to read the above, you would find that in the case of this particular, common harness, the belay loop is rated to 15kN, which is greater than the maximum theoretical force sustained in a lead fall. (i can post an explicit reference if you'd like, or you can take it on faith that this information is deep in the annals of John Long's Anchors, 2nd ed.)

perhaps another compelling reason to not tie-in to the belay loop is the fact that THIS IS WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SAYS TO DO. if you were to read the above documentation, you would also discover that the manufacturer states that the belay loop is to be used for belay devices only.

an interesting aside: the manufacturer also states that in rescue situations, a locking carabiner can be clipped directly into the belay loop. but wait, i thought the belay loop wasn't strong enough for these "dynamic" forces?!

so why do we only tie in to the tie-in points and belay from the belay loop then, if you could just as easily tie in to the belay loop?

1. clipping in like at the gym mentioned by the OP leads to complacency.

2. it's one more failure point in the system (and i'm not talking about the belay loop. your body will snap before that thing will. i'm talking about a potentially unlocked, cross-loaded carabiner, that might not be made of steel.)

3. it's more organized. all of your ropes are attached to your tie-ins, all of your hardware/belay devices to your belay loop. better organized means less chance of a fatal clusterfuck.

4. it is less wear on the belay loop. software-on-software causes more wear than hardware-on-software (all things being equal. don't spew on me about some sharp carabiner, etc.) why is this important? because when you clip an atc in to the belay loop, it's a single attachment point that could fail. it would be nice if it were in the best condition possible to avoid this unpleasant (and rather unlikely) eventuality.

(ps. if anyone yells todd skinner i may smack them. the wings didn't fall off the airplane, the pilot made an error. please note: no offense to todd skinner. i'm just saying this is an apples-and-oranges thing and that the circumstances surrounding his incident are not reason to lose faith in the belay loop.)

GeneralBenson

Jun 26, 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #20 of 79 (13133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spacemonkey07] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spacemonkey07 wrote:
My climbing partner ties his figure 8 also in his belay loop.

Reasons?

- less wear on the harness. (leg loops are the first to wear, long before the belay loop does)
- he doesn't want a big chunky knot close to his body, he likes it floating around more
- a lot of people start discussions with him why he does this, you know, the 'one more link to break in the chain of links which have to save your life in case of a dynamic fall

Are you serious? How about the fact that belay loops are only designed for hard good connection, and the rope on nylon friction will trash your belay loop?

Carnage

Jun 26, 2008, 1:22 PM
Post #21 of 79 (13122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:

you should prolly i dunno... look at your harness. notice how the belay loop is made up of just webbing. Notice the tie in points are made up of webbing surrounded in burly shit.

now go get some of your old kernmantle ropes and some old webbing and rub em together for a while. Let me know what happens. oh and after that, go do the same w/ the webbing wrapped in burly shit.

and just for good measure try rubbing webbing w/ a biner.

Pls make us a table and tell us where we should tie in and where its ok to clip biners. Thanks for your hard work.

shockabuku

Jun 26, 2008, 1:34 PM
Post #22 of 79 (13113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes. A very well run gym I climbed at in New Mexico has steel autolockers with permanently affixed gri-gris for their easier top rope belays in what is basically the beginner area. Other parts of the gym have just the rope for some TR climbs and lead climbs you bring your own rope and use a figure 8 tie in.

I think the steel auto-lockers are predominantly there for use with the birthday party and infrequent climber crowd. They work fine, cause very little wear on the belay loop (smooth steel on nylon), and the opportunity for user error is minimized.

If you don't like it, don't TR.

lena_chita

Jun 26, 2008, 1:38 PM
Post #23 of 79 (13107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwhitej wrote:

Have you ever seen harnesses with JUST ONE LOOP?

You know, the harnesses the gyms typically use for rentals b/c they have more size-adjustablility?

On those harnesses you TIE IN AND BELAY from the same loop of reinforced webbing.

Or maybe you have heard of alpine harnesses? they don't have a "belay loop".

Rest assured, both are perfectly safe.

The bottom line: a standard sport/trad harness comes with a belay loop for belaiyng, and the manufacturers recommend tying your figure 8 through two loops, not through the belay loop-- a recommendation you should follow.

HOWEVER, it is perfectly safe to tie in to the belay loop if you are inclined to do so on some occasions. It is also perfectly safe to clip a figure-8-on-a-bight to your belay loop via a locking 'biner and climb that way. It introduces an unnecessary extra link into the system, and that 'biner can be annoying, but it is a standard practice in many gyms.

getout87

Jun 26, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #24 of 79 (13097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
bigwhitej wrote:

Have you ever seen harnesses with JUST ONE LOOP?

You know, the harnesses the gyms typically use for rentals b/c they have more size-adjustablility?

On those harnesses you TIE IN AND BELAY from the same loop of reinforced webbing.

Or maybe you have heard of alpine harnesses? they don't have a "belay loop".

Rest assured, both are perfectly safe.

The bottom line: a standard sport/trad harness comes with a belay loop for belaiyng, and the manufacturers recommend tying your figure 8 through two loops, not through the belay loop-- a recommendation you should follow.

HOWEVER, it is perfectly safe to tie in to the belay loop if you are inclined to do so on some occasions. It is also perfectly safe to clip a figure-8-on-a-bight to your belay loop via a locking 'biner and climb that way. It introduces an unnecessary extra link into the system, and that 'biner can be annoying, but it is a standard practice in many gyms.

Yup, I agree. I most always tie in with a fig 8 (or a double bowline if I'm feeling froggy) through the tie in points, but if I'm in the gym doing quick laps with a partner, using a fig 8 on a bight and a locking biner through the belay loop makes the switch much quicker, which is the only reason I use it.

I prefer to use the tie in points as specified by the harness manufacturers, but using a locking biner on the belay loop doesnt worry me, as those things are super burly strong.

stymingersfink

Jun 26, 2008, 3:04 PM
Post #25 of 79 (13042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Clipping into Belay Loop!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
bigwhitej wrote:

um...

the reason you don't tie into your belay loop is not because it isn't strong enough.

(just for reference, since this particular thread seems to be about blowing bull shit out of our noses and calling it breathing, you might want to read this: http://www.bdel.com/...ch_harness%20WEB.pdf)

you'll find that harness manufacturers typically send out their gear with INSTRUCTIONS on how to use them. if you were to read the above, you would find that in the case of this particular, common harness, the belay loop is rated to 15kN, which is greater than the maximum theoretical force sustained in a lead fall. (i can post an explicit reference if you'd like, or you can take it on faith that this information is deep in the annals of John Long's Anchors, 2nd ed.)

perhaps another compelling reason to not tie-in to the belay loop is the fact that THIS IS WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SAYS TO DO. if you were to read the above documentation, you would also discover that the manufacturer states that the belay loop is to be used for belay devices only.

an interesting aside: the manufacturer also states that in rescue situations, a locking carabiner can be clipped directly into the belay loop. but wait, i thought the belay loop wasn't strong enough for these "dynamic" forces?!

so why do we only tie in to the tie-in points and belay from the belay loop then, if you could just as easily tie in to the belay loop?

1. clipping in like at the gym mentioned by the OP leads to complacency.

2. it's one more failure point in the system (and i'm not talking about the belay loop. your body will snap before that thing will. i'm talking about a potentially unlocked, cross-loaded carabiner, that might not be made of steel.)

3. it's more organized. all of your ropes are attached to your tie-ins, all of your hardware/belay devices to your belay loop. better organized means less chance of a fatal clusterfuck.

4. it is less wear on the belay loop. software-on-software causes more wear than hardware-on-software (all things being equal. don't spew on me about some sharp carabiner, etc.) why is this important? because when you clip an atc in to the belay loop, it's a single attachment point that could fail. it would be nice if it were in the best condition possible to avoid this unpleasant (and rather unlikely) eventuality.

(ps. if anyone yells todd skinner i may smack them. the wings didn't fall off the airplane, the pilot made an error. please note: no offense to todd skinner. i'm just saying this is an apples-and-oranges thing and that the circumstances surrounding his incident are not reason to lose faith in the belay loop.)
^^I'm not reading that.Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook