RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

northcave

Jul 2, 2008, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2256 views)
Shortcut

Aid then Base
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok some of guys are going to be like "fuk off" so if you wanna thrown some abuse go for it. I 'll take it like a man. Anyway some of us like to throw ourselves off cliffs. Commonly known as base. Each to their own though.

Anyway, I climb but i don't aid. Would like to. One day. Walls are shit in england though.

I also know of people that have used spare parachute rigs to send their gear to the bottom of a big jump on a static line and then followed it. Usually things like tents, camping equipment etc.

SO.... is there anyone that has done a big wall and hauled a couple of rigs with them, chucked their gear off with one and then base jumps after it? Sounds peachy to me. Especially if u did a big stack that had now other way down other than climbing back down. Pirate

stymingersfink

Jul 2, 2008, 6:34 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northcave] Aid then Base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

northcave wrote:
Ok some of guys are going to be like "fuk off" so if you wanna thrown some abuse go for it. I 'll take it like a man. Anyway some of us like to throw ourselves off cliffs. Commonly known as base. Each to their own though.

Anyway, I climb but i don't aid. Would like to. One day. Walls are shit in england though.

I also know of people that have used spare parachute rigs to send their gear to the bottom of a big jump on a static line and then followed it. Usually things like tents, camping equipment etc.

SO.... is there anyone that has done a big wall and hauled a couple of rigs with them, chucked their gear off with one and then base jumps after it? Sounds peachy to me. Especially if u did a big stack that had now other way down other than climbing back down. Pirate
It has been done before, and I've heard stories about people having to go back up the wall and rescue their gear when it hit the wall and the chute got hung up on a feature. That'd be NO GOOD, wouldn't it?

Anyway, it's illegal to BASE in the National Parks here in the US, not to say that it doesn't get done (and at least one guy's been killed trying to get away from the rangers trying to arrest him, when attempting to cross the Merced river he was washed downstream and drowned.)

Several years ago I was 3/4 the way up the Captain when in the early morning light something went flying by, soon followed by the pop of their chute deploying, giving away the fact that it wasn't just some random object thrown off the top. Several of us wall-rats gave 'em a HOOT!, but he probably couldn't hear us by then.

Towers of the Colorado Plateau strikes me as a good place to undertake such a thing though.

northcave

Jul 2, 2008, 7:03 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Aid then Base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm interesting thanks

TheTeacher

Jul 2, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to www.dailymotion.com and do a search for big wall. Your eyes will be opened to the possibilities. Look for a video titled Azazel.

This url might get you there.
http://www.dailymotion.com/...-in-pakistan_extreme

kevinhansen

Jul 2, 2008, 8:04 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheTeacher] Aid then Base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TheTeacher wrote:
Go to www.dailymotion.com and do a search for big wall. Your eyes will be opened to the possibilities. Look for a video titled Azazel.

This url might get you there.
http://www.dailymotion.com/...-in-pakistan_extreme

Nice vid Teacher.
Now try this!
http://video.on.nytimes.com/...21054e55e379d99f5883

Couloirman

Jul 8, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.apexbase.com/...iew.asp?idproduct=39

apex makes a container with a compartment to fit gear between you and your canopy which seems like a much better option. the only problem I see with it is that the pin cover is exposed the whole time you are climbing, hiking, etc... so if you are on a big wall and have an accidental opening it could be, well, bad. Check your pins often if you do this, or just keep the rig inside a stuff sack while climbing to avoid the problem altogether.

(This post was edited by Couloirman on Jul 8, 2008, 4:51 PM)

northcave

Jul 8, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Couloirman] Aid then Base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*urrgghh shiver*

makes me quiver thiking about making a jump with a load of climbing stuff in my rig. I also doubt you'd get even a third of your big wall kit in that.

That said it does look good for less serious back country jumps. Wink

shimanilami

Jul 11, 2008, 6:55 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was in Peru a few years back, we watched two Euro dudes climb up a wall for three days, then when they got to the top, out came the paragliders. They were back in camp about 20 minutes later. It inspired me to go get my paraglider training.

I know this is a bit different then base jumping, but it was still damn cool.

northcave

Jul 11, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Aid then Base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
When I was in Peru a few years back, we watched two Euro dudes climb up a wall for three days, then when they got to the top, out came the paragliders. They were back in camp about 20 minutes later. It inspired me to go get my paraglider training.

I know this is a bit different then base jumping, but it was still damn cool.

hmm yeah good idea... although you could ground launch your base jumping canopy in the same way. You just wouldn't stay up as long and the take off is a little bit more sketchy Pirate

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook