Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing area query
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

beagly

Jul 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1957 views)
Shortcut

Climbing area query  (North_America: United_States: Nevada)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In a couple of weeks I'm supposed to be meeting a UK friend who is on a road trip out west. This was originally going to be in Colorado, but his plans have altered and he's currently in Vegas - and reluctant to drive the 20 or so hours to Denver. I'm also short of time so I'd rather not fly to Vegas and then e.g drive to Salt lake.

So the question is...at this time of year, are there any reasonable climbing destinations near Vegas that are not too hot or too far? I know about the limestone and the Sierras, but do not have time to acclimatize for the latter. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Beagly

texplorer

Jul 24, 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beagly] Climbing area query [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I climbed out at Redrocks year round. This time you year you just have to find shade and remember that it can be 10 degrees cooler up in RR than down in Vegas.

There is also Mt. Charleston about an hour outside of vegas that is much cooler. The routes up there tend to be more on the hard side with most in the 5.12 and up range.

Another option is a place called Rainbow Canyon and is about 1 1/2 hours from Vegas. It faces east so will be cooler in the afternoon but has some great basalt cracks.

Also Vegas is about 4 hours from Zion which can be ok temps too. It all just depends on what kind of climbing you do and your tolerance for a little heat.
Those are really your close options.

cheers and have fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook