RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bugs & Error Reports

Premier Sponsor:

skinner

Aug 12, 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 12 (13473 views)
Shortcut

add [tags] suggestion
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Quote | Reply

I've looked to see if there was another thread with regards to this, but there doesn't appear to be.

When posting/replying in the forums, email, etc... if you highlight anything in the text box and use the tag buttons, it snaps back to the beginning each time. If you're only posting a few lines of ingenious humor & wit, it's not an issue. It's when you hammer out a novel sized rant that it becomes a real pain in the a$$! Especially if you go through after the fact, admiring and underlining or italicizing your finer points, having to scroll back through from the top after each tagging to try and figure out wtf you left off.

Could you pleeeease change the "cursorPosition" so that when one adds a tag, it's NOT the same as the "startPos" ?

Thank you, overall the site runs pretty smooth & I rarely have any complaints or problems.

PS: (If anyone reading this has no idea wtf I am talking about, go ahead and try it for yourself. Hit the reply button, then copy & paste 4 or 5 paragraphs of any text.. into the text area. Highlight a word or two in the last few sentences and click on one of the tag buttons, b, u, or i, etc.
and you'll see exactly what I am talking about).

ddt

Aug 12, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #2 of 12 (13466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] add [tags] suggestion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Actually, I just tried this and it worked fine in FireFox. After selecting a piece of text and hitting the tag button, the text remained selected, but now wrapped in the tag. Lemme aso try this with IE...

ddt

Aug 12, 2008, 1:49 AM
Post #3 of 12 (13462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] add [tags] suggestion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Works fine in IE (v7) too... what am I missing?

ddt

Aug 12, 2008, 1:51 AM
Post #4 of 12 (13459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

I tried it again and now I think I replicated your issue! What did I do differently? I don't know... Crazy

skinner

Aug 15, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 12 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

OK, I started thinking well, maybe.. there a possibility that the computers I tried it on all have the same issue, so I tried it on someone else's laptop, Vista , IE7.. same thing.

You have to have enough lines of text to see what I'm talking about, so..
just so we're trying to replicate the same thing, let's do this.. use the text (below), copy everything below the heading rule, paste it in, scroll all the way down and highlight the last sentence - "They did not want their members getting hurt or killed as a result" and use the [./b ] button to insert the bold tags.

In my case, the tags are inserted, but without fail, every time on all 4 systems it immediately snaps to the top with the scroll bar position all the way up.

In the Pacific Northwest, pioneer climber Hermann Ulrichs was a staunch hold-out. Ulrichs felt that pitons offered an unfair advantage to the climber and he not only avoided using them to advance up the mountain, he also declined to carry them for protection or as contingency anchors for a retreat by rappel. He wrote, “I have always felt that the tussle between the peak and me should both be entirely on our [own] resources--not outside aids.” Ulrichs drew a sharp distinction between the use of a piton, a fixture installed in the rock, and other equipment of the day such as nailed boots, ice axes and even ropes. The latter types of equipment, he said, were different from pitons in that they remained entirely under his control as extensions of his limbs. Hermann Ulrichs was also exceptional in that he felt that descending mountains presented important challenges equal to the ascent--climbers were missing half the point of climbing when they descended by rappel.

The Seattle Mountaineers maintained an institutional bias against the use of pitons until the mid 1930s. In 1935 and 1936 Wolf Bauer began to teach roped belaying and the use of pitons to club members without the approval of the more conservative elders in the club. The more traditional “old guard” were not only concerned with the question of what constituted “fair means,” but also with the idea that these new techniques might generate a false sense of security. They did not want their members getting hurt or killed as a result.

sbaclimber

Aug 19, 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #6 of 12 (12590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

The following 2 red lines could be added to the addTag(tag) function, and should fix the problem:

function addTag(tag) {
var scrollTop=document.post.post_message.scrollTop;
*rest of the original code*
document.post.post_message.focus();
document.post.post_message.scrollTop=scrollTop;
return;
}

...some additional logic to recognize that a closing tag has already been set would also be nice...Wink

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Aug 19, 2008, 12:48 PM)

skinner

Aug 20, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 12 (12411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

The problem is more of an annoyance then anything, but I'm glad you were able to replicate it. Most of the people who were messaging me telling me that "theirs works fine", had not entered enough lines of text for it to scroll. As soon as they tried it as I show in my previous post, they all experienced the same thing.

I wish my coding was up to snuff so I could suggest a fix, but I'm a network guy and leave all the cross-eye inducing work to people like ddt. I have no idea if sbaclimber's suggestion would work or not, but I see the "annoyance" still exists. I was wondering if the second part of this is the same problem/possible fix?

sbaclimber

Aug 21, 2008, 6:09 AM
Post #8 of 12 (12390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

skinner wrote:
I was wondering if the second part of this is the same problem/possible fix?
Yup! Cool

ddt

Sep 4, 2008, 3:55 PM
Post #9 of 12 (10673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] add [tags] suggestion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Thanks for the suggested fix. I added it to the code. Can you please let me know if things work better now. Hopefully nothing else broke! Smile

DDT

skinner

Sep 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #10 of 12 (10024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

That seems to have done the trick Thanks ddt, greatly appreciated! rc.com appears to be the only forum of this type which I've posted on that doesn't do the annoying scroll thing now.
Cool

ddt

Sep 9, 2008, 4:03 PM
Post #11 of 12 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Great. Well thanks to sbaclimber for proposing the fix!

sbaclimber

Sep 9, 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #12 of 12 (9940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

No worries...always glad to helpSmile

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Bugs & Error Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook