RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

tready

Jul 5, 2008, 3:59 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2114 views)
Shortcut

Moving to Twin Falls ID in August; Need Partner/Local Beta
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy folks

I’ll be moving out to Twin Falls on August 12th, and was wonderin’ if anyone is in need of a climbing partner/pack mule/belay slave/etc... I climb .10- on sport (on good days) and grunt my way up 5.8s on trad. Though trad is always quite an adventure for me. I’ve been climbing about three years, so I’ve got enough experience to realize I’m still definitely on the gumby end of the spectrum, but I’ll give ya a good belay and buy the beer!

I’m a teacher, so I’ve got evenings, weekends, and holidays free, but that can vary depending on what my students are doing in class. I’ll actually be in Twin Falls in two weeks trying to find an apartment, and while I doubt I’ll have time to climb, I was wondering if there was a store that caters to the climbing crowd better than the others.

I’ve learned by climbing on iffy (at best) sandstone, so I’m pretty stoked about City of Rocks and Massacre Rock. Although from what I’ve read, the latter sounds to be a bit out of my league right now.

Thanks

Tyler

kevinhansen

Jul 6, 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tready] Moving to Twin Falls ID in August; Need Partner/Local Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a few web sites you'll want to get familiar with.
www.idahosummits.com
Most peak baggers, scrambelers, and some climbers frequent that site. The #1 topic posted is Lost River Range (LRR) weather and route conditions. Its a good site with lots of friends.
www.seiclimbing.com
The SEI is of course for South East Idaho and its a real good site for finding people. It has more sport climbers and trad climbers than mountaineers. It covers routes and areas with in 4 hours of Pocatello.
Twin just got a new climbing shop which is a good thing for finding folks to climb with.
Local areas:
Shoshone cave hosts sport routes of the 5.12 persuasion. Get used to basalt fractures and columnar joint sets.
City of Rocks and Castle rocks are a short drive away. Granite sport and trad climbs offer a lifetime of climbing. (Idaho's J tree -the heat)
Massacre Rocks State Park offers more Basalt columner joints then thought possible. You can climb 11 months out of the year there.
Ice grows in the Snake River Canyon and offers up to WI4. Dean Lords just put up a crazy M10 right off the road.
You'll have your hands full for sure.
Kevin
I lived at Massacre for a year, then the City of Rocks for a few months. Great places to live.

anykineclimb

Jul 6, 2008, 3:17 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevinhansen] Moving to Twin Falls ID in August; Need Partner/Local Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You got Dierkies (sp?) Lake right there in town too.
not the most spectacular place but good for a quick burn after work.

tready

Jul 7, 2008, 4:21 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Moving to Twin Falls ID in August; Need Partner/Local Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks fellas. I actually wandered down to that lake when I was down there for my interview, but I had no guidebook, and since it was pretty stormy the evening I went out, there weren't any other climbers out. I kinda messed around on some boulders, but that was about it. I'll check that stuff out though.

Kevin, do you know the name of that climbing shop? I was in TF about a month ago, but didn't see anything like that in the phone book.

kevinhansen

Jul 7, 2008, 4:58 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tready] Moving to Twin Falls ID in August; Need Partner/Local Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tready wrote:

Kevin, do you know the name of that climbing shop? I was in TF about a month ago, but didn't see anything like that in the phone book.

This is how I learned about it.
http://www.network54.com/...Sports+in+Twin+Falls
You can also try
http://elevationsportsonline.com/

Good luck 2 ya

tready

Aug 5, 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevinhansen] Moving to Twin Falls ID in August; Need Partner/Local Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

I'm moving on Monday the 11th of August, and unless I can pirate some internet from the neighbors, I'll be without the 'net for a while.

Any takers?

jdredfield

Aug 14, 2008, 3:25 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you get this message i live in nampa near boise but i get down there on occasion and would like to more. if you still need a partner mail me at jdredfield@netzero.net i have climbed at derkies and ca little at city. i would love to check out massacre.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook