RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Breccan

Aug 18, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1843 views)
Shortcut

Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to be visiting the Denver area at the beginning of September and looking for some very easy sport climbing. I've been climbing for about 4 years now, but I'm very out of shape from an illness so I'm only climbing in the 5.8-5.10b range. I've always wanted to get to Rifle, but it just doesn't seem worth it unless I'm climbing at least 5.11 or higher. We're looking to spend 2-3 days climbing and can travel up to 6 hours away from Denver. Thanks!

Partner phaedrus

Aug 18, 2008, 4:42 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Breccan] Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a few places within an easy drive of Denver. Castlewood Canyon, just outside of Castle Rock isn't bad. There is also Table Mountain in Golden, or Sport Park in Boulder Canyon.

Have fun! Smile

jman

Aug 18, 2008, 3:04 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is also an area at Clear Creek Canyon that has a small concentration of grades you're looking for. Can't remember the name of the area but it is right next to a road tunnel.

Partner angry

Aug 18, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jman wrote:
There is also an area at Clear Creek Canyon that has a small concentration of grades you're looking for. Can't remember the name of the area but it is right next to a road tunnel.

Cat Slab. It's now off limits, private land etc...

tedman

Aug 18, 2008, 4:06 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

could be thinking of Highwire crag, a few 8s in there. almost always super busy tho. also fits the description of 'by a tunnel'.

But I'll second the suggestion for Golden Cliffs (aka north table mountain) and clear creek. Guidbooks for both can be found at REI or neptune or wilderness exchange etc.

c4c

Aug 18, 2008, 4:29 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the flatirons outside of boulder.

djoseph

Aug 18, 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a bit surprised at the responses. Highly recommend avoiding crowded Sport Park and Golden Cliffs/Table Mountain (at least in the summer... I guess Sep might be OK if you like climbing above Coors brewery). And the flatirons are not sport climbs.

Instead, if you want a few easy 5.8s - 5.10a's try Watermark and neighboring Avalon in Boulder Canyon (requires a tyrolean).

Or Tonnere Tower (also requires a tyro... a bit tougher one).

Pretty significant concentration of climbs at those spots... I'll let someone else weigh-in on Clear Creek. Feel free to browse mountainproject.com as well. I've linked to the sites I mentioned.

Enjoy your visit...

Dan

jman

Aug 18, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tedman wrote:
could be thinking of Highwire crag, a few 8s in there. almost always super busy tho. also fits the description of 'by a tunnel'.

But I'll second the suggestion for Golden Cliffs (aka north table mountain) and clear creek. Guidbooks for both can be found at REI or neptune or wilderness exchange etc.

I think it was Highwire crag. Thanks.

tundraline

Aug 18, 2008, 6:35 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djoseph] Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

djoseph wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at the responses. Highly recommend avoiding crowded Sport Park and Golden Cliffs/Table Mountain (at least in the summer... I guess Sep might be OK if you like climbing above Coors brewery). And the flatirons are not sport climbs.

Instead, if you want a few easy 5.8s - 5.10a's try Watermark and neighboring Avalon in Boulder Canyon (requires a tyrolean).

Or Tonnere Tower (also requires a tyro... a bit tougher one).

Pretty significant concentration of climbs at those spots... I'll let someone else weigh-in on Clear Creek. Feel free to browse mountainproject.com as well. I've linked to the sites I mentioned.

Enjoy your visit...

Dan

I second the recommendation to try out Watermark in Boulder Canyon. The Tyrolean is no big deal. High Wire In Clear Creek Canyon is also very good, IMHO. Although often dissed by "purists," Sport Park in Boulder canyon is really fun, and has lots of climbs with moderate ratings all stacked up next to one another. While it might be "crowded" compared to other areas in Boulder Canyon, you should not have any problem getting on some fun sport climbs at Sport Park, and you might meet some nice people at the crags.

djoseph

Aug 18, 2008, 8:24 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tundraline] Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tundraline wrote:
Although often dissed by "purists," Sport Park in Boulder canyon is really fun, and has lots of climbs with moderate ratings all stacked up next to one another. While it might be "crowded" compared to other areas in Boulder Canyon, you should not have any problem getting on some fun sport climbs at Sport Park, and you might meet some nice people at the crags.

True enough. Like many folks who climb in Boulder Canyon, I am perhaps overly negative about Sport Park. There are actually some fun climbs there, including The Other One (10d) and Killer Fish Taco (11a). And the views of the Rockies are among the best in the canyon.

However, I still feel that recommending Sport Park to visitors is like recommending McDonald's to folks who are visiting Paris....

Having said all that, I realized after I posted that I might be bringing a group of 8 or so people to either Tonnere or Avalon on the weekend of Sep 6/7. So ironically, we might end up crowding you if you go to my recommended not-as-crowded-as-Sport-Park spots. Crazy

Dan

djlachelt

Aug 18, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would second the suggestion for Boulder Canyon. It's got a prettier setting than Clear Creek. You can find lots of details about each of the areas in the canyon on mountainproject.com. Be sure to note which crags are more trad and which are sport. As stated already Avalon is a very nice sport crag with many excellent moderates.

If you go to Boulder Canyon on a weekend then you'll likely be there with many other parties (and certainly that will be the case in Clear Creek).

http://mountainproject.com/...der_canyon/105744222

Another sport area that is off the beaten path, with everything from 5.6 to 5.13, is The Monastery. The approach is non-trivial, though... but you said you were willing to drive 6hrs, so surely you'd be willing to drive 2 and hike for 1. Good views of RMNP & Longs Peak from almost every route. It's super quiet (in sharp contrast to Clear Creek... and even Boulder Canyon), and much more rugged. PM me if you want some route suggestions or have questions about getting there.

Even if you go to the Monastery on a weekend you'll hardly notice if other people are there.

http://mountainproject.com/...hrase=monastery&

Another area that just occurred to me is Jurassic Park. It's got a fair number of moderates in a concentrated area. It is also a beautiful, quiet setting. That approach is an easy 15-20 minutes, past a pretty lake (in contrast with the hard Monastery approach of 45-1hr).

http://mountainproject.com/...ributaries/105744337

jbroom

Aug 18, 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ill go with the monestary too-one of my favorite sport spots in colorado. even better if you can climb 11's and 12's but still enough to keep you busy for 3 days. if you go, climb hot zone-one of the better 5.9s anywhere
jb

c4c

Aug 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbroom] Good Beginner Climbing in Colorado? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I missed that key word "sport". We were just out to the monastery recently too. It is a magical place. There are some moderate (5.7+) climbs out on the sunny side that were fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook