RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

fluffystuff

Aug 18, 2008, 3:51 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1407 views)
Shortcut

c3 holds after making popping noise and sliding down
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have you seen a piece slip a bit while making a popping noise and then hold? What the heck happened? This happened to a yellow #2 c3.

Here's the situation... it was essential that the #2 c3 hold, after I committed to moving up six feet through the crux. So, I tested the C3 by jumping off the rock with the C3 at my waist. (There was a bomber piece a few feet below that would have protected me from this location.)

Anyhow, the c3 held, but only after it made a popping noise while sliding from the back to the front of the slighting flaring crack. Have you seen this before? Was the rock lacking some friction? Is this common in flaring cracks? How come the cam didn't just pop? I'm pretty sure there was not a constriction. Would a larger fall (say while in the crux a few feet above) have likely pulled the piece?

I ended up getting a better placement, and moved on up. Thanks for any input!

BTW... if you're familiar with the climb, I was on Wasp at the Gunks.

Partner angry

Aug 18, 2008, 4:02 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluffystuff] c3 holds after making popping noise and sliding down [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've frequently seen cams, nuts, and hexes move then catch. Some as much as an inch or two.

Usually it's because the placement I made wasn't as good as I thought, the cam comes out, and it then catches on something else before it leaves the crack.

If the springs are in good shape you've got a better chance of this working than if your springs are soft. Still, it's a luck shot and is best to be avoided.

tedman

Aug 18, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluffystuff] c3 holds after making popping noise and sliding down [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Could be bits of the rock exploding under the pressure from the suddenly weighted cam. With the tiny cams, all the pressure of a fall is exerted through a tiny surface area into the rock=lots of pressure, enough to demolish little nubbins of rock where it might be placed. If you pulled it out and the cam looks fine, I'd bet on this.

Arrogant_Bastard

Aug 18, 2008, 8:44 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you look at the piece aftwards? Were all three lobes in place? The C3s have a tendency to rotate in certain situations, further camming the lower lobe and opening up the top lobe. I've had the top lobe completely invert before in a flaring crack, making a bit of a popping noise.

However, tedman's post was the first thing that came to mind, and it can happen with any cam.

kennoyce

Aug 18, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen the exact same thing with metolius tcu's in flared quartzite cracks. When I have seen it the popping noise isn't crystals or nubbins being crushed, it's just the noise of the cam scraping against the rock two or three times before the placement holds (if the cam doesn't just pull out). As has been said before, while a cam placed like this may hold, it doesn't mean it will, so I would either try to find a better placement, or not fall.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook