Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

oscarlation

Aug 25, 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #51 of 53 (813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownie710] Starter trad rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks for the tips.I spent 3 1/2 months in the Tetons and Boulder, CO learning a lot about leading and placing gear. i have a pretty good idea of what i like to use now.

but would anyone suggest buying on the net to save money? i guess i should just make sure what i am buying right?

brownie710

Aug 25, 2008, 1:21 PM
Post #52 of 53 (806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oscarlation] Starter trad rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you leave near a local gear shop(s) then i'd say go for local and know what your buying, especially if your unsure of some stuff since you can ask the staff specific questions while holding the gear in your hand. An added bonus is that if you buy all your stuff there over time you'll probably get a discount if it's not a chain outdoor store. otherwise, you can usually find cheaper gear at a lot of major retailers online since they have sales and buy in bulk. sometimes you can get package deals or just stuff like 25% off, which is huge if your buying a $70 cam! look at gearexpress, mountain gear, and outdoor gear exchange. good luck

skinner

Aug 25, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #53 of 53 (787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamatt] Starter trad rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jamatt wrote:

I'd recommend you buy someone who has a rack and knows how to use it a tank of gas and a six pack and go climbing with them.

Gas in NC must be a lot cheaper then here! .
I have more gear then many climbing shops, and I'd take anyone who wants to buy me a tank of gas (@$120/tank) out climbing and teach them how to lead trad! I'll even supply the six-pack Wink

But I know what you mean, "pitch in for gas" get to use and learn how to place the gear.. is a great idea. Volunteering to be a belay slave isn't a bad idea either, you can learn a lot from watching someone else, and cleaning their placements.
The cost of getting to the rock is become so expensive, I've been borrowing the ex's little Mazda so that there is some money left for beer at the end of the day!

jamatt wrote:

And about that suggestion to start by sport climbing. Bad bad idea. If you want to climb trad, you've got to climb trad. Nothing against sport, but it's two entirely different games.

I agree totally, there is a big difference between lunging for a clip way above your head, after blindly reaching back and grabbing a draw off of your rack/harness..

..and having to size up what you *think* will work, selecting the appropriate piece from your rack and possibly having to fiddle-fuk with it for a while to get it seated in place properly, probably having to extend it, possibly adding a screamer..
different game indeed.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook