RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cyphecks

May 6, 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #1 of 11 (11091 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by cyphecks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

maldaly

May 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #2 of 11 (11089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cyphecks] Climbing in Korea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tons of climbing in Korea. The peninsula is littered with rock...most of it good coarse-grained granite.

Everyone in Korea climbs on Sunday so try to go during the week.

Nam De Moon market has the climbing shops where most people buy gear. There are shops on the road up to Insu Bong as well.

Good beta here: http://www.koreaontherocks.com/index.php

Good luck,
Mal

irregularpanda

May 6, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 11 (11087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cyphecks wrote:
I am considering moving to South Korea for a year, and was curious about the rock climbing situation there. I mainly boulder but am getting into sport climbing as well. I was wondering if there is a decent climbing scene in Korea, and where the best places to climb around the country are.
Also, is climbing equipment easy to come by there, and is it reasonably priced? Thanks.

Let me guess: you're going to teach english for a year.

Second guess: the person contacting you to work with them is very enthusiastic about you working there, and calls you once a day.

Am I right?

cyphecks

May 6, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #4 of 11 (11077 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by cyphecks [In reply to]
Report this Post

Senate156

Sep 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #5 of 11 (10813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA..wow that's awesome...i'm actually considering doing the very same thing along with my gf, although it'd be next year and was just asking the same questions to my Korean friends that I teach stateside. What program are you going to work for/with?

drm1st

Sep 23, 2008, 2:43 AM
Post #6 of 11 (10780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in South Korea? It's kinda big that whole southern part you know. :)...We were just there a year ago. Lots of granite. We were down southwest of Pusan or Busan, whichever you perfer, visiting my family. Be careful on remote areas/mountains for climbing. After a 4 hour hike up 1 mountain following very small signs with arrows, we ended up on the wrong mountain. But it was a really rural area. We actually met palm readers living by a small waterfall in the tent on the way up, so it was pretty cool non the less. There's also lots of potential that we saw on the southern coast & some of the islands.

cyphecks

Sep 23, 2008, 4:57 AM
Post #7 of 11 (10764 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by cyphecks [In reply to]
Report this Post

jp_sucks

Sep 23, 2008, 5:47 PM
Post #8 of 11 (10730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear the climbing is way better in the north...

drm1st

Sep 23, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #9 of 11 (10720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How are you liking it there? Drink any Soju? Post some pics if you canWink. How long are you staying there for? What made you decide to teach English there? Just curious.

drm1st

Sep 23, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #10 of 11 (10718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Climbing in Korea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'd like to check the North out, but just waiting for things to get a little better in political relations right now.

jason

Nov 3, 2008, 3:53 AM
Post #11 of 11 (10529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The trad here is really good, the sport climbing is overly crowded on weekends. And the bouldering... South Koreans havn't even caught on yet. There is some serious potential for amazing bouldering here. Basically foreigners are just developing the areas that they live near now, but there is potential all over the place. Northern SK does have good climbing, but Seoul is a polluted and overcrowded city. Busan is in the south and has amazing climbing from bouldering to trad. You can check it out further on koreaontherocks.com. You can PM me on that site with more questions. My name is choss monkey, but everyone on that site will be super helpful.

Bring as much gear as you can. The cost of living here is cheap, but the cost of luxury is not.

Oh yeah, and most people that spend one year in Seoul either hate it and leave Korea, or realize there are far better places and move to a smaller city. Not to say you can't have fun there. i still visit from time to time. The climbing is nice (it's the air and super long subway commutes that aren't) Check out Busan If you want a city that's a great hub for traveling the rest of the country and Japan, plus has good climbing. There are other nice places too. Just do your research and use more than one recruiter. Don't be afraid to turn down jobs.

here are two good links the first one has a bunch of whiney foreigners but it still has good info.

daveseslcafe.com

pusanweb.com

(This post was edited by jason on Nov 3, 2008, 4:48 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook