Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maddhatter

Oct 4, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #1 of 37 (4121 views)
Shortcut

Letter to the Noobs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As you come to this site and find your self under attack from other climbers please keep this in mind.

I have been climbing longer then some of you have been alive and along the path of life I have learned a few things. These people that tend to flame people on here do so for a reason. More times then not they are people that may have climbed a few 5.12's or even a few 5.13's. This in fact makes them feel they are better climbers then most and they are.
However the real reason behind them flaming people is that they know deep down that they will never reach a level higher then that. They are middle of the road climbers at best and will never be the next Sharma or put up a 5.15. It must be hard on some one knowing they will never be the best when that is all they think about. I am no great climber and I am happy climbing 5.10 trad and easy 5.11 spot but then again, climbing is just one part of my life. I climb for the love of climbing. In all my years of climbing all over the USA I have found these things to be true.

1) Noobs (like all people) can be nice or dicks. What ever you were before you started climbing is what you still are after starting to climb.

2) The very best climbers feel no need to talk down to noobs and most the time are very nice people.

3) I will never climb 5.15 and thats cool. I still love climbing.

4) People that flame Noobs are not any better then the Noobs they flame. You as a Noob still have that chance to be the next truly great climber.

5) If you never climb a 5.15 who cares? Do it for the love and you will have a lot more fun.

I wish you the best and Be safe out there.

milesenoell

Oct 4, 2008, 5:50 PM
Post #2 of 37 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While I'd agree that flaming nOObs is often done gratuitously, there are definitely good reasons for creating an environment where people who don't know what the fu*k they are talking about to at least phrase their statements in ways that defer to those with more knowledge. There are so many nOObs who come in here all sprung on climbing and think that they have something to contribute, only to declare all kids of shit that they thought they knew about when if fact they are still in the process of getting a fuc*ing clue.

This makes it so that those who actually know something present tentative statements (as they are well aware of how much they may not know or ways in which this knowledge may be misused) and those who don't know present bold assurances. Noobs eat up the bold stuff and think they are learning.

dlintz

Oct 4, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #3 of 37 (4092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
As you come to this site and find your self under attack from other climbers please keep this in mind.

I have been climbing longer then some of you have been alive and along the path of life I have learned a few things. These people that tend to flame people on here do so for a reason. More times then not they are people that may have climbed a few 5.12's or even a few 5.13's. This in fact makes them feel they are better climbers then most and they are.
However the real reason behind them flaming people is that they know deep down that they will never reach a level higher then that. They are middle of the road climbers at best and will never be the next Sharma or put up a 5.15. It must be hard on some one knowing they will never be the best when that is all they think about. I am no great climber and I am happy climbing 5.10 trad and easy 5.11 spot but then again, climbing is just one part of my life. I climb for the love of climbing. In all my years of climbing all over the USA I have found these things to be true.

1) Noobs (like all people) can be nice or dicks. What ever you were before you started climbing is what you still are after starting to climb.

2) The very best climbers feel no need to talk down to noobs and most the time are very nice people.

4) People that flame Noobs are not any better then the Noobs they flame. You as a Noob still have that chance to be the next truly great climber.

5) If you never climb a 5.15 who cares? Do it for the love and you will have a lot more fun.

For posterity

Madhatter wrote:
However the real reason behind them flaming people is that they know deep down that they will never reach a level higher then that. They are middle of the road climbers at best and will never be the next Sharma or put up a 5.15.

Presuming that this is the real reason for all rc.com flaming is idiotic.

d.

Maddhatter

Oct 4, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #4 of 37 (4070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I started climbing there were no bolts and I remember how mad it made me to see all the cliffs I loved being bolted up. As time went on I saw how much fun the new kids were having and came to understand why they climbed. I didn't say "Hey look that dude climbed a 5.14 so these bolts must be ok"
I said hey look at the smile on that Noobs face as he can start climbing with almost no gear and still climb safe. There is no reason to flame any noob unless he is defending some thing that will endanger others. It is funny I will give you that! lol
And it will always happen some. I just want the Noobs to understand we do not all feel the same as the 12 or so who seem to really enjoy flaming Noobs.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 4, 2008, 6:31 PM
Post #5 of 37 (4064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:

STFU n00b!

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 4, 2008, 6:35 PM
Post #6 of 37 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You yea... You have a little n00b on your chin MH.
You might wanna wipe that off. Wink

Maddhatter

Oct 4, 2008, 6:37 PM
Post #7 of 37 (4057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:

That little noob on my chin is a hotter chick then you will ever have on yours! Angelic

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 4, 2008, 6:47 PM
Post #8 of 37 (4048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

That little noob on my chin is a hotter chick then you will ever have on yours! Angelic
Then you need to post picks of your wife! I have many picks of mine in "My Photos", and all will agree that she's not only a hottie, but even "height / wieght" proportionate, before and after kids.

Put up or shut up. n00b!

Maddhatter

Oct 4, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #9 of 37 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Then you need to post picks of your wife! I have many picks of mine in "My Photos", and all will agree that she's not only a hottie, but even "height / wieght" proportionate, before and after kids.

Put up or shut up. n00b!

Cute kids. Yes yes she is a very nice looking woman.
I'm not going there man. I'm lucky also.
I guess even 2 arrogant dicks can get lucky. Wink

Leading 5.9 trad in J-tree.

Heres one from Moab.

looserock

Oct 4, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #10 of 37 (3995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're taking it too serious; it's just a message board. Anonymous message boards are better than the army; they let you be all you can be. If you know how to do advanced searches in google, it's possible to pretend to be just about anything. I'm not saying the flamers are doing this, I just suspect that they can tell that non-climbers are doing this and it aggravates them. I haven't posted much but I've read many threads here trying to learn stuff.

snoopy138

Oct 4, 2008, 9:02 PM
Post #11 of 37 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:

Cakewalk? Only 5.8.

Maddhatter

Oct 4, 2008, 9:12 PM
Post #12 of 37 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
[IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u54/maddhatter1/jj/Shelly1.jpg[/IMG]

Cakewalk? Only 5.8.

Really?? Did it change? It is 5.9 in the Vogal bible?
Felt soild 5.9 to me.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Oct 4, 2008, 9:12 PM)

tradrenn

Oct 4, 2008, 9:17 PM
Post #13 of 37 (3957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, stick around for few years and you will notice that RC is getting softer and softer.

The biggest problem I have is with this "viruses" that come to RC every few months, post crap and leave.

sungam

Oct 4, 2008, 9:25 PM
Post #14 of 37 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
Well, stick around for few years and you will notice that RC is getting softer and softer.

The biggest problem I have is with this "viruses" that come to RC every few months, post crap and leave.
What? You don't want dope nike air, air jodrons, DCs, adidas, gucci, puma, and many other shoes STRAIGHT FROM THE PRODUCER?
AMAZINGLY LOW PRICES TODAY!

Maddhatter

Oct 4, 2008, 9:27 PM
Post #15 of 37 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
[IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u54/maddhatter1/jj/Shelly1.jpg[/IMG]

Cakewalk? Only 5.8.

Bow your heads , I will now read from the Vogal bible.

On page 96

Freeway wall (upper)

Climb 496

Cake walk 5.9 three stars.
Amen.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Oct 4, 2008, 9:29 PM)

tradrenn

Oct 4, 2008, 9:33 PM
Post #16 of 37 (3931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
tradrenn wrote:

What? You don't want dope nike air, air jodrons, DCs, adidas, gucci, puma, and many other shoes STRAIGHT FROM THE PRODUCER?

I was referring to users such as Aceto, Bradley3296, etc.

sungam

Oct 4, 2008, 9:35 PM
Post #17 of 37 (3927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
sungam wrote:
tradrenn wrote:

I was referring to users such as Aceto, Bradley3296, etc.
Fair enough. I think they can be funny a lot of the time.
The "shoes from the source" posts are getting old, though.

doktor_g

Oct 4, 2008, 9:38 PM
Post #18 of 37 (3926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Madhatter,

You might need to start 'lurking' or 'posting' on a grammar website as you obviously and consistently have trouble with English. The word 'then' is used to give a description of time, while 'than' is used as a comparison.

For example:
1. I'm a more experienced climber THAN you.

... and...

2. When you have more experience, THEN you can flame noobs.

This is a common mistake among English nOObs. So don't be upset. I just didn't want you to hurt yourself or someone else.

Remember, taking it is a part of dishing it out.

Dr G

(This post was edited by doktor_g on Oct 4, 2008, 9:40 PM)

Maddhatter

Oct 4, 2008, 9:49 PM
Post #19 of 37 (3911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doktor_g] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very well spoken.

Yes, I do need much work on my spelling and grammar. Believe it or not I am much better then I used to be and hope to become better. Spending almost 1/2 my adult life on the road climbing did not help me much. You should see my credit score!Crazy

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Oct 4, 2008, 9:50 PM)

dilbar

Oct 4, 2008, 9:56 PM
Post #20 of 37 (3904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wait a minute, noobs cant climb 5.15?!?!?!?! no one told me this.

doktor_g

Oct 4, 2008, 9:58 PM
Post #21 of 37 (3903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on bro. I'm trying to get to the road life, I just don't have the balls yet. See you out there amigo.

My best,
Grover
Wink

tradrenn

Oct 4, 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #22 of 37 (3837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doktor_g] Letter to the Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

doktor_g wrote:
Madhatter,

You might need to start 'lurking' or 'posting' on a grammar website as you obviously and consistently have trouble with English. The word 'then' is used to give a description of time, while 'than' is used as a comparison.

For example:
1. I'm a more experienced climber THAN you.

... and...

2. When you have more experience, THEN you can flame noobs.

This is a common mistake among English nOObs. So don't be upset. I just didn't want you to hurt yourself or someone else.

Remember, taking it is a part of dishing it out.

Dr G

Well, that was nice.

Maybe you could also explain the difference between "you are", "your", yours.

pyrosis

Oct 5, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #23 of 37 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:

Cakewalk? Only 5.8.

My thoughts exactly.

Maddhatter wrote:

Bow your heads , I will now read from the Vogal bible.

On page 96

Freeway wall (upper)

Climb 496

Cake walk 5.9 three stars.
Amen.

Latest edition: Joshua Tree West, R Vogel (2006)

pg 245

Climb 855: Cakewalk (5.8) ***

STFU nOOb!

tready

Oct 5, 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #24 of 37 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
More times then not they are people that may have climbed a few 5.12's or even a few 5.13's.
However the real reason behind them flaming people is that they know deep down that they will never reach a level higher then that. They are middle of the road climbers at best.

Man, if 5.12 is middle of the road, I'm never even gonna make it off the shoulder...

altelis

Oct 5, 2008, 1:40 AM
Post #25 of 37 (3747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
Very well spoken.

Yes, I do need much work on my spelling and grammar. Believe it or not I am much better then than I used to be and hope to become better. Spending almost 1/2 my adult life on the road climbing did not help me much. You should see my credit score!Crazy

WinkCoolTongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook