Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Connecticut Climbers Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Next page Last page  View All

superevolved

Oct 10, 2008, 7:52 AM
Post #651 of 713 (14137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superevolved] Boulder in seymour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I put a photo of the boulder in my photos. check it out if you like.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos/Bouldering/seymour_boulder_102558.html

jsarge

Oct 20, 2008, 6:13 PM
Post #652 of 713 (14062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up in Seymour but haven't been back there in a long while. I don't recall a whole lot of bouldering there but am familiar with a few decent spots. (Some may be just over the Seymour line in Ansonia and / or Beacon Falls.) I can provide some info through PM. Some of the areas pretty access sensitive but as long as you go in small numbers and BE COOL should be fine.

wywh3578

Jan 2, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #653 of 713 (13848 views)
Shortcut

ct climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all, I'm new to this site and am hoping to meet some people, share climbing areas, and enjoy the convenience of online communication! I live in Deep River and East Haddam...a good amount of quality bouldering around. let me know if you're interested!

Hope to hear from you, Nate

Iamzarathustra

Jan 15, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #654 of 713 (13778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently discovered this boulder myself about a month ago. I've lived in Seymour for about 10 years now and have been searching for anything worthwhile to boulder or climb for at least as long. It's hard to find anything of quality here.

aderyn_rhydd

Feb 6, 2009, 3:39 AM
Post #655 of 713 (13677 views)
Shortcut

New to Climbing in CT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everyone
I'm very new to the climbing scene, but am ready to dive in. Just started at CT Rock Gym in New Haven and I'm looking for a partner willing to work with a novice. I weight about 120, but I'm not afraid of a little lift-off when I'm belaying.

I'm free Mon/Wed/Thur and I'm looking ideally for 1-2 times a week, but even the occasional climb would be great.

If anyone is interested, send me a message!

Kate

joneus

Feb 6, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #656 of 713 (13666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wywh3578] ct climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wywh3578 wrote:
Hey all, I'm new to this site and am hoping to meet some people, share climbing areas, and enjoy the convenience of online communication! I live in Deep River and East Haddam...a good amount of quality bouldering around. let me know if you're interested!

Hope to hear from you, Nate

Sweet! A local!!! I live in Salem.

I've done quite a bit of Geocaching in Deep River (pretty place!!!), but didnt know there are places to boulder, too!

Have you been over to Chatfield Hollow at all?

dr_feelgood

Mar 24, 2009, 1:50 PM
Post #657 of 713 (13474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iman74] Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's springtime. Time to fucking climb. PM me if you are looking for partners.

apeman_e

Apr 3, 2009, 2:02 PM
Post #658 of 713 (13400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

god damn shitty north east weather gonna rain out my precious WEEKEND! AHAHAHQAGAGAHAGAHGAG!!

WHY CRUEL WORLD!?!

WHY?!?!?!?

dudemanbu

Apr 4, 2009, 3:05 AM
Post #659 of 713 (13392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apeman_e] Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I f-ing hear you man. Weather sucks.

divad

Apr 12, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #660 of 713 (13325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone for Ragged tomorrow, 4/13?

jsarge

May 12, 2009, 9:47 PM
Post #661 of 713 (13164 views)
Shortcut

Wolf Rock Vandalism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out a Wolf Rock and Pothole in Storrs a couple of weeks back for an afternoon or routes. hadn't been to either location in a couple of years. At bottom of Wolf Rock, someone has cut down about half a dozen of the large (12-18" diameter) trees that were growing along the base of the lower cliff. Anyone now when this happened, who did it and why? Now a cliff that was well-shaded in the summer time is going to bake like an oven.

I know this land is owned by Joshua's Trust, a local land trust. I'd be hard pressed to beleive that they would do it. Is this just a case of selfish/stupid people cutting trees down so that cliff would dry faster? What the hell people?

brianri

May 27, 2009, 4:57 PM
Post #662 of 713 (13076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsarge] Wolf Rock Vandalism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jsarge,
They have been cut down for almost two years now. My guess is that the Land Trust people cut them down to open up the view. I find it hard to believe that anyone else (climbers) would haul chain saws in there. This is all speculation on my part. You could ask the Land Trust. http://www.joshuaslandtrust.org/

Brian

jsarge

May 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #663 of 713 (13066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brianri] Wolf Rock Vandalism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Brian,

I'll look into that w/ Joshua's Trust, I just assumed since they are a land trust / preserve they wouldn't be inclined to take trees down but I could be wrong. perhaps I jumped to conclusions because of some of the similar stuff I've seen happen elsewhere. Someone did the same thing at Fire Wall in CT, and it wasn't the town, people draiing vernal pools to access the bottom of a crag, cutting illegal access trails without permission, installing a campus board at the base of a crag located on private property. You'd be surprised. I know two climbers that carried a gas powered generator to the base of a crag b/c they didn't have a battery operated drill for placing bolts.

dr_feelgood

May 28, 2009, 3:35 AM
Post #664 of 713 (13051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jsarge wrote:
Thanks Brian,

I'll look into that w/ Joshua's Trust, I just assumed since they are a land trust / preserve they wouldn't be inclined to take trees down but I could be wrong. perhaps I jumped to conclusions because of some of the similar stuff I've seen happen elsewhere. Someone did the same thing at Fire Wall in CT, and it wasn't the town, people draiing vernal pools to access the bottom of a crag, cutting illegal access trails without permission, installing a campus board at the base of a crag located on private property. You'd be surprised. I know two climbers that carried a gas powered generator to the base of a crag b/c they didn't have a battery operated drill for placing bolts.

Why do I smell a troll here? Please, provide specifics as to the incidents to which you refer. I'm talking dates, people involved, photo evidence, etc. I'm more than not at all curious.

dr_feelgood

May 28, 2009, 3:40 AM
Post #665 of 713 (13049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Wolf Rock Vandalism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
jsarge wrote:
Thanks Brian,

Why do I smell a troll here? Please, provide specifics as to the incidents to which you refer. I'm talking dates, people involved, photo evidence, etc. I'm more than not at all curious.

Hey, while you're at it, post your real name and relation to Connecticut climbing. I'm Jeff Bartos(google me, bitch: http://www.google.com/...amp;aq=t&rls=org).

jsarge

May 28, 2009, 5:13 AM
Post #666 of 713 (13035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Wolf Rock Vandalism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff,
Well for a guy that's "not at all interested" you sure have a lot of demands as well as some juvenile taunts. So be it.

Not sure why you smell a troll b/c my post wasn't one. I hadn't been to Wolf Rock in a couple years and saw the cut trees last time I was there a couple weeks back. I thought this forum would be a place to see if anyone knew what happened. If my inquiry with Joshua's Trust confirms they did the tree cutting, I will post here to let everyone know.

The tree cutting incident at Fire Wall occured in 2003/2004 timeframe. Go out and look around the base of the cliff about 6-8 feet back from the belay area at the base of the cliff between the central descent gully over to the right. there are a half dozen tree stumps in the ground, most of them now camoflauged under rocks and brush. The trees themselves ranged from 4 to 8" in diameter and were black birches and oaks. You can find the trees themselves scattered around the scree field. I moved them downslope and dispersed them to reduce the eyesore.

The vernal pool draining incident was described in a CT guidebook which some people refer to as the "Blue Whale" because of its large size. The FA dates for the crag will provide a time frame for the incident. Look it up for yourself

Access trails being established without permission. Not exactly a new thing. The specific trail Im thinking of runs from the playground / swingset at Timberline Park over Short Mountain and connects with Metacomet Trail just before the private road off of Carey St in Southington across the street from former "Small Cliff" parking lot. The trail in question runs over some Berlin park land and then crosses New Britain Water Company Property and then private property. When I asked the NBWC about whether they had given permission for the trail, their response was "What trail". No one ever claimed responsibility for creating it, but the trail wasn't there but then it was. Timeframe 2000-2001.

Campus board was installed at the Pothole, a nice little roadside crag off Gurleyville Road in Storrs. When I was an undergrad at UCONN in 1986 it wasn't there. When I went back in 1987/1988 it was there. As of a couple weeks ago, the stupid thing is still there. And the crage is on private property, which you can confirm in the land records for the town. Don't know who put it up but I made assumption that it was a climber.

The bolting incident with the generator, I was there and saw it firsthand. The where in CT doesn't matter-And I'm not calling out the climbers involved in this forum.

As for me, my name is Jeff Sargeant. As to my relation to CT climbing: until Dec 2004 I had lived in CT my whole life, the last 14 years in Southington. Before that I lived in Berlin, New Britain, Wallingford, Tolland and Storrs and as I mentioned few posts above, I grew up in Seymour. I climbed about 100 days a year in CT while I lived there, poking around just about every major or minor crag, outcrop and boulder field and more than a few obscure ones. I was an active member of the RMF and the Access Fund, have picked up trash at every crag I've been to, helped build trails at Ragged Mountain, Pinnacle and perfromed maintenance along the Metacomet Trail through Berlin, Southington and New Britain.

I only get to CT a few times a year now but still have friends there

jsarge

Jun 26, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #667 of 713 (12813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I mentioned in previous post, at the suggestion of Brian, I contacted Joshua's Trust about the trees. Their response is pasted below

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:54 PM
To: JeffSargeant
Subject: Re: Questions About Trees at Wolf Rock

Jeff - the Trust did fell the trees to preserve the view. Their policy is to leave trees in place once they are felled, unless the management plan for the property says otherwise..

John D. Pagini, AICP

Conservation Coordinator

So the question has been answered.

Jeff

skierbrian

Jul 2, 2009, 8:39 PM
Post #668 of 713 (12773 views)
Shortcut

Looking for Partner tomorrow July 3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In CT tomorrow for a family visit. Looking for p to do Wolf, Ragged, etc. Responder's choice. AM looks better weather wise.
Will second all day.

mjr2510

Jul 27, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #669 of 713 (12683 views)
Shortcut

New London Climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey All, Just moved back to the New London (Niantic) area after doing some traveling for a while and in my absence my usual climbing partners have peaced out. Just looking to get out as much as possible, my job allows me to climb any day of the week. Ive recently gotten into trad, but I am happy to set up top ropes or just boulder. Anything outside is sweet as. My name is Matt, shoot me an email, I'm dying to get out.

mounter

Aug 17, 2009, 4:36 PM
Post #670 of 713 (12601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In Hartford for a few days. Looking to boulder late afternoon / evenings. Don't know CT at all and could use a partner / guide. I have a vehicle and will pay for fuel costs. Anyone who has time and is inclined, please let me know

sellarock

Aug 21, 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #671 of 713 (12579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mounter] Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am looking for a partner for Ragged Mountain on Sunday, 23 Aug. I am just in the area for the weekend.

I would like to lead Carey Corner and maybe Broadway. I have my rack, rope, guidebook and car w/me- let me know if you want to get out!

mounter

Aug 22, 2009, 2:05 PM
Post #672 of 713 (12570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sellarock] Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry brother. I flew out yesterday. If you're ever in the Central PA area, send me a PM. Best of luck.

Steve

tuscanwarlord

Aug 23, 2009, 3:36 AM
Post #673 of 713 (12564 views)
Shortcut

boulders in branford?!?!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boulders in branford...

is anyone familiar with the bouldering mecca in branford? i grew up there before moving to the adirondacks, and i am about to spill the beans with a mini-guide book on this proper boulder field that rivals mackenzie pond. no joke. if anyone is familiar please let me know, as i have climbed most everything there, but i would like to share grade assesments, etc.

dudemanbu

Sep 10, 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #674 of 713 (12518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tuscanwarlord] boulders in branford?!?!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go nuts man. i don't think anyone knows anything about it. The main bouldering areas that are well known are 7 falls and of course bradley.

jimo

Sep 12, 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #675 of 713 (12504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tuscanwarlord] boulders in branford?!?!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right On! - been living/ climbing / developing in Branford since 93, put out a guide - but be careful about claiming first ascents...
Are you going to include any of the boulders on the other side of the quarry? Been going deep and developing some classics - by some of the crap that we have cleaned off, don't think they have been climbed.

First page Previous page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook