Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Arrogant_Bastard

Oct 29, 2008, 3:42 PM
Post #101 of 135 (1340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
Just cause some high strung suburbanite shithead didn't get their latte enema this morning is NO reason to deprive us of the subtle genius that is your posting style.

[img]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/1/374781-medium_lycra.jpg[/img]

AGREED!

DMT

Oooh sick burn. Seriously though, I gave up coffee enemas after an "incident" in the McDonalds drivethrough.

That's OK you weren't using that vagina of yours properly anyway.

Hint - read Catch 22.

DMT

I'm not reading that.

Pity.

DMT

Actually, curiosity overcame me and I checked on wiki. I'll be getting a copy next time I hit borders. Excellent book suggestion. I just hope it doesn't give me nightmares like 1984 did.

Have fun with that. I've started it three times, just can't get into it. Although, the people that I know that like it, loved it. Of course, that would just say that you and Dingus have a lot in common...

knieveltech

Oct 29, 2008, 4:03 PM
Post #102 of 135 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Of course, that would just say that you and Dingus have a lot in common...

Internet troll fail. I am NOT biting that hook.

Arrogant_Bastard

Oct 29, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #103 of 135 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

Yeah, neither would Dingus.

knieveltech

Oct 29, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #104 of 135 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

Yeah, neither would Dingus.

Laugh

carabiner96

Oct 29, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #105 of 135 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockhoss] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockhoss wrote:
Guess Patty got jealous of the frat market share North Face was dominating. I don't know who OP is. I try not to pay taxes to the Chinese govt, but you know patty does. The point is Patty abandoned the country of its birth. That to me is ungrateful and I was raised to believe ungrateful people were trash. So wave that maple leaf with pride moderator and go buy a bombadier atv or some pooteen or some awesome MEC gear.

^^haz daddy issues.

zeke_sf

Oct 29, 2008, 6:24 PM
Post #106 of 135 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
Just cause some high strung suburbanite shithead didn't get their latte enema this morning is NO reason to deprive us of the subtle genius that is your posting style.

[img]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/1/374781-medium_lycra.jpg[/img]

AGREED!

DMT

Oooh sick burn. Seriously though, I gave up coffee enemas after an "incident" in the McDonalds drivethrough.

I don't know, I accidentally doused my balls with coffee cooled with 1/2 & 1/2 this weekend while driving to the crag. It wasn't entirely unpleasant.

Huh, you might be onto something there. Long day at the crag? In a rush to meet up with that cute belay bunny you met earlier in the day? Camp doesn't have a shower? Fear not. Just douse your balls with coffee and *BAM* instant cologne. Turn nut funk into moca and musk in a matter of seconds.
Crazy

CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy

It really does work that way. It turned my normally stifling taintal waft into an enticing stew of sexual cues. It's like ax body spray... but just for my balls.

knieveltech

Oct 29, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #107 of 135 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:

CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy

It really does work that way. It turned my normally stifling taintal waft into an enticing stew of sexual cues. It's like ax body spray... but just for my balls.

^^^^ someone just got a new sig right there.

Arrogant_Bastard

Oct 29, 2008, 7:40 PM
Post #108 of 135 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
someone just got a new sig right there.

This is correct, but Curt already pointed that out yesterday.

reg

Oct 29, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #109 of 135 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [outdoor.industry.insider] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the op and some of the posts! damnit - why? and i can't get them back!! but i've had ah bit of fun sayin that shit. ying/yang?

(This post was edited by reg on Oct 29, 2008, 7:42 PM)

knieveltech

Oct 29, 2008, 8:06 PM
Post #110 of 135 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
someone just got a new sig right there.

This is correct, but Curt already pointed that out yesterday.

Naw. Yesterdays was about tubgirling some random prole in the McD's drivethrough with an assload of coffee. Todays was about dousing one's nuts in coffee to tame the funk after a long day at the crag. Keep up.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Oct 29, 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #111 of 135 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fishbelly] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fishbelly wrote:
Patagonia has identified its market and played to it.
I admire their marketing strategy. Being a elitist snob with envio and ethical guilt.

A rough quote from Chouinards book. Let My People Go Surfing . " Poor people can not afford cheap clothing"

I'm sorry, I don't see it. Patagonia is not elitist, if they were you would have to have an exclusive way to get the products. Something like "Members Mark® Nitrile Exam Gloves", now that is exclusive.

Partner macherry

Oct 30, 2008, 1:08 AM
Post #112 of 135 (1202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockhoss] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockhoss wrote:
Guess Patty got jealous of the frat market share North Face was dominating. I don't know who OP is. I try not to pay taxes to the Chinese govt, but you know patty does. The point is Patty abandoned the country of its birth. That to me is ungrateful and I was raised to believe ungrateful people were trash. So wave that maple leaf with pride moderator and go buy a bombadier atv or some pooteen or some awesome MEC gear.

ah that's poutine........the best poutine i've ever had was in banff, barpa bill's made by a greek...go figure. All that mec merchandise is made in china, and i'm afraid an atv wouldn't help me.....but i'd love a sled!!!

fishbelly

Oct 30, 2008, 1:21 AM
Post #113 of 135 (1191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually admire how Patagonia markets there products and much of their bussiness plan.

I'm the snob elitest, but honest.

curt

Oct 30, 2008, 1:37 AM
Post #114 of 135 (1186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pattagucci is teh shit. Cool

Curt

altelis

Oct 30, 2008, 1:40 AM
Post #115 of 135 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone compare the climbing/alpinism catalogues and stuff with the skiing and/or surfing stuff

the climbing and alpinism stuff is marketed as "tough", lots of core photos, shredded jackets, dirty dean potter, etc.

skiing/surfing are all pretty faces and bodies, brand spanking new shiny gear, etc

just interesting is all. i'd love to see the market research that spawned that idea!

Toast_in_the_Machine

Oct 30, 2008, 1:53 AM
Post #116 of 135 (1167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
anyone compare the climbing/alpinism catalogues and stuff with the skiing and/or surfing stuff

the climbing and alpinism stuff is marketed as "tough", lots of core photos, shredded jackets, dirty dean potter, etc.

skiing/surfing are all pretty faces and bodies, brand spanking new shiny gear, etc

just interesting is all. i'd love to see the market research that spawned that idea!

You are participating in that research. RC.com is a front for the MAN.

kriso9tails

Oct 30, 2008, 1:56 AM
Post #117 of 135 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
fishbelly wrote:
I admire their marketing strategy. Being a elitist snob with envio and ethical guilt.

A rough quote from Chouinards book. Let My People Go Surfing . " Poor people can not afford cheap clothing"

Well said. They give one whole percent back (well probably not really cuz they catch a tax break for the lost income), but their clothing is overpriced by 2X and made in China now. Even on sale, I've only bought a couple of their shirts, and they are nothing special.

Actually, 1% off pre-tax income really isn't that bad. The company I work for is part of one percent for the planet and that alone is about two million dollars towards environmental causes.

altelis

Oct 30, 2008, 1:56 AM
Post #118 of 135 (1164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[robot voice] HE KNOWS TOO MUCH... WE MUST DESTROY HIM....[/robot voice]

shockabuku

Oct 30, 2008, 2:48 AM
Post #119 of 135 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:

AGREED!

DMT

That's OK you weren't using that vagina of yours properly anyway.

Hint - read Catch 22.

DMT

I'm not reading that.

Pity.

DMT

Actually, curiosity overcame me and I checked on wiki. I'll be getting a copy next time I hit borders. Excellent book suggestion. I just hope it doesn't give me nightmares like 1984 did.

I thought it was okay, nothing special, but then I don't like my pleasure reading to require too much analysis.

rockhoss

Oct 30, 2008, 3:26 AM
Post #120 of 135 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
fishbelly wrote:

Well said. They give one whole percent back (well probably not really cuz they catch a tax break for the lost income), but their clothing is overpriced by 2X and made in China now. Even on sale, I've only bought a couple of their shirts, and they are nothing special.

Look how green I am, I wear a shirt made from recycled pop bottles (it wuz 75 bucks). Nevermind that it was shipped halfway around the world. I'm sure that didn't use any fossil fuels. Pfffffttt.

In reply to:

I would really like the new down hoody pullover patty offers... but screw em if they think that their message greenliness is going to cover up the medium of unethical global sourcing.

1% to the planet? Howabout 10% at the prices they charge. nuff said in this thread, over and out.

rockhoss

Oct 30, 2008, 3:35 AM
Post #121 of 135 (1135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
rockhoss wrote:

^^haz daddy issues.
In reply to:
^^haz mommy issues. Wanna get a drink?

Arrogant_Bastard

Oct 30, 2008, 3:39 PM
Post #122 of 135 (1106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:

I don't really see that at all. The last time I flipped through a climbing rag it was all pretty faces and shiny gear. I think the last 3 ads I've seen of Steph Davis she has a smudge of chalk strategically placed on her face - if that's what you're referring to as "dirty".

I see a lot of similarities between the two sets of professional athletes. Both used to live in vans or on friends porches, eating PBnJ, and living off of pennies; most of the top athletes still do. The top of the top however, “The elite” I guess we can say, are well sponsored with shiny gear, pretty clothes and endless sunglasses. Much like surfing these elite are often not chosen because they’re any better than many of the others at the top, but because they have a pretty face or an interesting personality that can be marketed. There’s always the good looking one, in ads clearly posed and brushed up with photoshop, the goofy one shown on another of his crazy adventures, and the one who just fucking shreds no matter how you look at it. Surfing may be a bit more evolved than climbing as far as being mainstream, but no, I see them walking very similar paths. Personally, I blame the boulderers.

altelis

Oct 30, 2008, 4:19 PM
Post #123 of 135 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, i wasn't referring to ads in the rags but to catalogues.

although, now that you mentioned it this trend has decreased in the last few years...

sidepull

Oct 30, 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #124 of 135 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it should come as no surprise that catalogs for climbing and catalogs for surfing, even coming from the same company, have different demographics in mind. anyone that sees that as some sort of contradiction is digging way to hard.

marebear

Oct 30, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #125 of 135 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Patagonia's marketing ploy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it should come as no surprise that catalogs for climbing and catalogs for surfing, even coming from the same company, have different demographics in mind. anyone that sees that as some sort of contradiction is digging way to hard.

This thread is endlessly amusing to me, not just because I love Patagucci, but also because I am a marketer and think that Patagonia excels as marketing more than any other company in the outdoor industry. Targeting demographics with "dirty Dean Potter" or glossy new surfboards is what marketing is all about, and obviously it is working, because Patagonia is selling clothing. And, in this era of "green" that we live in, Patagonia is selling the image of being socially and environmentally responsible. Whether or not the company is as socially as responsible as it claims is up to speculation (and I'm not gonna speculate), but they are sure doing a great job of appearing so. I sure like the idea of recycling my stinky old capilene instead of throwing it away.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook