Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New year trip, too cold?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sailskisurf

Nov 11, 2008, 7:54 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2221 views)
Shortcut

New year trip, too cold?  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm plannin to treck down to Red Rocks for a week or so starting about dec 27th. Is it gonna be too cold for climbing?, I heard it can snow? Also I was wondering if there is anywhere kosher for free car camping close to the rocks. I'm tryin to do a bunch of sport, and maybe some easier multi-pitch.
I might be in need of a partner for a few days. If any one is interested in showing me around the abundace of 5.11 classic sport routes in the area or lugging me up a big wall, thatd be awesome.
thanks,

erclimb

Nov 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sailskisurf] New year trip, too cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it will be cold, but you can always chase the sun...i've never camped there because i've only heard bad reports on the ONLY campground

why not go to j-tree?

sailskisurf

Nov 11, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erclimb] New year trip, too cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done j-tree and it was awesome, but I'm looking a for sport climbing destination, and red rocks seems like the right place to go.

markc

Nov 11, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about El Potrero Chico? I've never been, but I hear it's a popular winter destination for multipitch sport climbing.

Edit - On second thought, the seasonal average for Vegas in December is 57. That's balmy compared to my area. When I visited in February a few years back, temps in the low to mid 60s were really manageable (despite what my wife might tell you).

(This post was edited by markc on Nov 11, 2008, 7:53 PM)

sailskisurf

Nov 11, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] New year trip, too cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

also an awsome idea, I want to at some point but I dont really have the funds to charge down there for that week. I'm pretty stoked on Red Rocks, is it too cold or what?

lena_chita

Nov 12, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We climbed at Red Rocks around Christmastime last December.

The weather can be really variable at that time of the year. The day we arrived had a high of over 60F. Then it went progressively worse (56F, 48F, 34F for highs). The last day was really on the cold side, but still just fine in the sun-- and there was plenty of sun.

From what I hear, the 30s for high was sort-of unusual, but 40s-50s would be quite likely.

Bottom line, I think you can bank on doing sport climbing in the sunny spots, and possibly in not-so-sunny spots if the weather cooperates. I probably wouldn't want to be doing a multipitch climb in some shaded canyon though...

Partner angry

Nov 12, 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] New year trip, too cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The early January trip I took there a few years back was T-shirt weather. Jacket at night, no tent, rather comfortable really.

We climbed Levitation 29 with our pasty breasts soaking up the sun.

fancyclaps

Nov 12, 2008, 5:34 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no personal experience with this, but I have some very talented climbing friends that go to Red Rocks pretty regularly over New Years. I would definitely say it is doable.

If you are interested in sport climbing, have you considered Shelf Road in Colorado? There are tons of routes there and even when I was there in an abnormally cold year(this past year) we still managed to get some good climbing in on a sunny wall.

vegastradguy

Nov 12, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fancyclaps] New year trip, too cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

weather is usually good, but can be a bit unstable- as lena noted. no way to really predict. I've been in a t-shirt and shorts on new years day, and i've been in a puffy on the same climb a year later. just depends on what the weather wants to do.

typically, RR is a few degrees cooler than vegas (higher elevation) and since the weather usually comes in from the West, it gets hit first- esp. the canyons.

as for camping- no kosher car camping around- just the designated campground. its not bad if you follow the rules- which basically amount to: don't be a jerk. the campground is about 1.5 miles from the loop- 5 minutes from the campground and you're at the parking lot for sport climbin'

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook