Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

clee03m

Nov 17, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #1 of 79 (8438 views)
Shortcut

grunts and comments that follow
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I grunt when I climb. And this weekend, I got so much shitty comments about it. I am finally pushing my limits on gear leads, and I guess I was making some noises. It stared with "That must have been good for her" and the comments and snickering continued until I got upset or may be I just got too high to hear them. Next day, despite that I was leading one of the hardest routes I think I have ever lead, I kept getting distracted by what I may sound like. I guess I grunted anyways because apparantly someone on the next climb asked if someone is giving birth. It doesn't help that the comment was started by a husband of this girl who I would really like to climb more frequently together. I don't know why I get bothered so easily. I wish I could grow a thicker skin because I don't want the assholes to distract me from climbing. Just venting...

lvpyne

Nov 17, 2008, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 79 (8429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't feel too bad. I yelp or squeal. Smile

A month or so ago, I took a HUUUUGE whipper in Black Velvet Canyon and the ensuing squealing noises simply reverberated throughout the entire canyon. I think people in Vegas heard me squawking when I came off that route... I got a lot of comments about that. Smile

lena_chita

Nov 17, 2008, 4:29 PM
Post #3 of 79 (8424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, I am sure these types of comments get annoying pretty quickly.

I don't know what is it that makes some people a lot more "noisy" climbers than others. I know both a male and a female who grunt, scream and "vocalize" a lot when climbing. The guy gets a lot of snickering comments about it ( I'm guilty of some of them... I guess i should refrain from saying anything in the future.). I haven't heard many people commenting on the lady.

Thicker skin helps in many cases...

oh, and congratulations on a hard lead!

dingus

Nov 17, 2008, 5:19 PM
Post #4 of 79 (8405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know any compulsive-grunting climbers. I do know a perfectly polite and socially acceptable lady who swears like a sailor as soon as the climbing goes above 5.10.

Like a SAILOR.

Its scandalous! And you'd NEVER hear a foul word from her mouth in any other situation.

Do other physical activities make you grunt too? Are you just a grunter?

Anyway... my real reason for posting to this thread is to offer the following observation:

"ALL LOUD CLIMBERS get made fun of, whether they know it or not."

Book it.

DMT

stonefox

Nov 17, 2008, 5:19 PM
Post #5 of 79 (8403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
So I grunt when I climb. And this weekend, I got so much shitty comments about it. I am finally pushing my limits on gear leads, and I guess I was making some noises. It stared with "That must have been good for her" and the comments and snickering continued until I got upset or may be I just got too high to hear them. Next day, despite that I was leading one of the hardest routes I think I have ever lead, I kept getting distracted by what I may sound like. I guess I grunted anyways because apparantly someone on the next climb asked if someone is giving birth. It doesn't help that the comment was started by a husband of this girl who I would really like to climb more frequently together. I don't know why I get bothered so easily. I wish I could grow a thicker skin because I don't want the assholes to distract me from climbing. Just venting...

...so you can't but it's ok for some dudes to climb and make noise like they are passing the dryest stool ever?!
Are you climbing on gear? check
Are you climbing past your limits? check
Are you proud of yourself? check

...i wouldn't give a damn what others think of the noises you make while climbing. Don't distract yourself with this just keep crankin.

And congrats on your accomplishment.

L

(This post was edited by stonefox on Nov 17, 2008, 5:20 PM)

caughtinside

Nov 17, 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #6 of 79 (8397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefox] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heckled a dude a couple weeks ago. He was climbing some hard .12 on the bridger jacks, and making more noise than I'd ever heard a climber make. Grunts and wails that filled the tranquil bowl of the campground and beyond.

I emerged from my lifestyle day malaise. I reached over the edge of my hammock to put down my book and beer and pick up my binoculars. I watched for a second. The grunting continued. The dude was grunting like a dying elephant! He did a move, grunt. he reached to his harness for a cam, grunt.

Finally I could take it no more. I set down my binos. Cupped my hands around my mouth and bellowed

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND CLIMB!!!!

The grunting stopped.

The dude whipped.

It was great.

dingus

Nov 17, 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #7 of 79 (8394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefox wrote:
but it's ok for some dudes to climb and make noise like they are passing the dryest stool ever?!

Its all right L - we make fun of them too!

Aaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That was the BEST cheese Saaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhandwich I ever had!!!11111

DMT

stonefox

Nov 17, 2008, 5:56 PM
Post #8 of 79 (8385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
stonefox wrote:
but it's ok for some dudes to climb and make noise like they are passing the dryest stool ever?!

Its all right L - we make fun of them too!

Aaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That was the BEST cheese Saaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhandwich I ever had!!!11111

DMT

we've all heard it Laugh Laugh Laugh

stonefox

Nov 17, 2008, 5:58 PM
Post #9 of 79 (8381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and also, if I'm making noise while climbing, I know I'm breathing while I'm up there.

Grunt on!

mheyman

Nov 17, 2008, 6:54 PM
Post #10 of 79 (8357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefox wrote:
clee03m wrote:
So I grunt when I climb. And this weekend, I got so much shitty comments about it. I am finally pushing my limits on gear leads, and I guess I was making some noises. ...I wish I could grow a thicker skin because I don't want the assholes to distract me from climbing. Just venting...

...so you can't but it's ok for some dudes to climb and make noise like they are passing the dryest stool ever?!
Are you climbing on gear? check
Are you climbing past your limits? check
Are you proud of yourself? check

...i wouldn't give a damn what others think of the noises you make while climbing. Don't distract yourself with this just keep crankin.

And congrats on your accomplishment.

In reply to:
SHUT THE FUCK UP AND CLIMB!!!!

The grunting stopped.

The dude whipped.

It was great.

That's funny - but the noise bothered you.

There you go clee03m don't stop making noises for others.

OK, Seriously, most people aren't pushing their limits, and many do have a tendancy to be noiser when they do. Not everyone but enough. Keep pushing. OK again. I meant what I wrote, but its been really hard to resist the puns jokes and questions that come to mind. OK I'll shut up too!

(This post was edited by mheyman on Nov 23, 2008, 5:07 AM)

Gmburns2000

Nov 17, 2008, 7:52 PM
Post #11 of 79 (8346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Seriously, everyone has a quirk like that. The thing is, they're kind of funny, so you have to learn to laugh at yourself. People aren't laughing at you because they're being mean, but more because they identify with you and realize that it doesn't mean anything.

I, for one, have a much more embarrassing problem: instead of grunting, I fart...LOUDLY. It has brought on more than just the quiet snicker from the peanut gallery. Am I going to stop climbing because people laughed at me? Hell no. Is it embarrassing? Hell yea. It's hard to look people in the eye afterward once you're known as "that guy who farts while climbing."

Trust me and just embrace your quirk. We don't love people for their accomplishments (that's what admiration is for), we love them for their faults. We identify with people with faults because that is what makes us human. And if there's nothing you can do about it, then don't.

dingus

Nov 17, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #12 of 79 (8339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Seriously, everyone has a quirk like that. The thing is, they're kind of funny, so you have to learn to laugh at yourself. People aren't laughing at you because they're being mean, but more because they identify with you and realize that it doesn't mean anything.

I, for one, have a much more embarrassing problem: instead of grunting, I fart...LOUDLY. It has brought on more than just the quiet snicker from the peanut gallery. Am I going to stop climbing because people laughed at me? Hell no. Is it embarrassing? Hell yea. It's hard to look people in the eye afterward once you're known as "that guy who farts while climbing."

Trust me and just embrace your quirk. We don't love people for their accomplishments (that's what admiration is for), we love them for their faults. We identify with people with faults because that is what makes us human. And if there's nothing you can do about it, then don't.

Rolled into Lover's Leap late one evening. Sported a bad case of the ass gas whilst getting stuff from the car to the camp. Farted loudly many-a-time. Stinkers too, made Burl puke (seriously?).

Anyway, the next morning we were standing next to Burl's truck, a-rackin up. Next to us the slide door on a VW camper bus glided open and a goddess emerged from within.

She took one look at us and in perfect Queen's English inquired,

"Which one of you is the fatah?"

Burl and I immediately pointed at each other!

True.

DMT

Partner lwilson

Nov 17, 2008, 9:28 PM
Post #13 of 79 (8326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 that put a smile on my face! Thanks for sharing that ;)

Gmburns2000 wrote:

clee03m

Nov 17, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #14 of 79 (8319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lwilson] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was all the female specific comments, especially sexual comments, that bothered me. If they told me I sounded like I was having a bowel movement, I don't think I would have been as uncomfortable.

Gmburns2000

Nov 17, 2008, 9:35 PM
Post #15 of 79 (8318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lwilson] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do what I can. Wink

lwilson wrote:
Gmburns2000 that put a smile on my face! Thanks for sharing that ;)

Gmburns2000 wrote:

acacongua

Nov 18, 2008, 2:06 PM
Post #16 of 79 (8253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to make a lot of interesting noises - and I wasn't even aware of it! I guess they were interesting enough that someone said, "When Stephanie climbs, I just sit back and close my eyes." It was definitely embarrassing for me, but my current partner says that I'm quiet.

It was nothing to get upset over. When I hear vocal people now, I think the same thoughts people thought of me. It really is something to laugh about - and when you laugh at yourself, you're a more enjoyable climbing partner.

As you become stronger and more comfortable on the rock, you'll probably tone it down. Save for when you hit the crux.

granite_grrl

Nov 18, 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #17 of 79 (8252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Making sounds on the rock is funny. Other people are laughing at you, and often the best solution is just to laugh right along with it.

I'm not a grunter, but I am a screamer when I fall. Often big falls are also accompinied by some tears too. Its best when I laugh at myself because I screamed like a little girl, tell my belayer to give me a minute to wipe my eyes and then get climbing again.

I will also admit I have farted on strenuous parts of climbs on more than one occation. Often its best to tell your belayer that you're just trying to get a little lift to get you through the crux. Laugh

If you can't change the attitudes of those around you it's best to change the attitude of yourself.

shimmer

Nov 18, 2008, 2:37 PM
Post #18 of 79 (8248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
It was all the female specific comments, especially sexual comments, that bothered me. If they told me I sounded like I was having a bowel movement, I don't think I would have been as uncomfortable.
Next time one of the peanut gallery is on the wall, making noise (as they will more than likely do), make the offhand comment that they sound like a goat being anally raped by a grizzly bear on every move, and at least when a girl grunts, it's hot. They just sound cheesy.
Or, you can completely ignore it, roll your eyes, and keep climbing.

timstich

Nov 24, 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #19 of 79 (8108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimmer] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's funny, on another thread some of us are discussing how many friends we have actually watched die from accidents while climbing. Yet you are concerned about being teased about grunting noises.

Too funny.

mojomonkey

Nov 24, 2008, 4:22 PM
Post #20 of 79 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timstich] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
It's funny, on another thread some of us are discussing how many friends we have actually watched die from accidents while climbing. Yet you are concerned about being teased about grunting noises.

Too funny.

Don't mind me rooting around in your pack over here... Hey man, why are you getting so upset about theft? It isn't like you died because of it... How can you justify having a concern or discussion about anything but the gravest matters?

dingus

Nov 24, 2008, 4:36 PM
Post #21 of 79 (8092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK back to the grunting thing.

Remember the tennis player, Monica Seles?

wikipedia wrote:
With punishing, sharp-angled two-fisted forehand and backhand shots and a dominating return of serve, Seles is considered by many to be the first "power player" in the women's game, paving the way for players such as Venus and Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport, and Maria Sharapova.[citation needed] She was also well-known for grunting loudly on court. On a few occasions, her opponents claimed that the grunting was distracting and prevented them from hearing the ball make contact with her racquet

So maybe those detractors of yours are concerned they can't hear the biner snap for all that grunting?

As an aside, I remember when Monica Seles opponents complained about her endless series of grunts.

I'm glad they did as I felt her verbal ejaculations were very distracting as a viewer. I pretty much refused to watch her for any length of time as a result.

Now interestingly, she stopped grunting (as a result of the complaints) and started losing - though she was getting past her prime by then anyway.

So on the one hand I say 'grunt on' - you GO GIRL. You stop grunting and you might start falling.

On the other I say STFU! Give us a BREAK here woman!

Life is like that sometimes.

Do you grunt elsewhere?

DMT

Gmburns2000

Nov 24, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #22 of 79 (8088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
OK back to the grunting thing.

Remember the tennis player, Monica Seles?

wikipedia wrote:
With punishing, sharp-angled two-fisted forehand and backhand shots and a dominating return of serve, Seles is considered by many to be the first "power player" in the women's game, paving the way for players such as Venus and Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport, and Maria Sharapova.[citation needed] She was also well-known for grunting loudly on court. On a few occasions, her opponents claimed that the grunting was distracting and prevented them from hearing the ball make contact with her racquet

So maybe those detractors of yours are concerned they can't hear the biner snap for all that grunting?

As an aside, I remember when Monica Seles opponents complained about her endless series of grunts.

I'm glad they did as I felt her verbal ejaculations were very distracting as a viewer. I pretty much refused to watch her for any length of time as a result.

Now interestingly, she stopped grunting (as a result of the complaints) and started losing - though she was getting past her prime by then anyway.

So on the one hand I say 'grunt on' - you GO GIRL. You stop grunting and you might start falling.

On the other I say STFU! Give us a BREAK here woman!

Life is like that sometimes.

Do you grunt elsewhere?

DMT

Key point is bold.

timstich

Nov 24, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #23 of 79 (8068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] grunts and comments that follow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Touché, mojomonkey.

(This post was edited by timstich on Nov 24, 2008, 5:26 PM)

clee03m

Nov 24, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #24 of 79 (8061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the tim guy, what would not be funny is if 'in the memory of' forum was the only one at rc.com to meet your high standard. So I shouldn't complain about my discomfort while people post such serious subjects like who is the hottest climbing chick/dude and where to buy a pink climbing shoes? Once again, thicker skin would be so nice.

As far as grunting I grunt in general. I for sure grunt when I play raquetball. But just the other day, some guy at the gym was like, "yeah, we call that girl (not referring to me) the 'orgasmic girl.' You know, she is just trying to get attention from men." For the record, I think most women climbers don't make noises to attract men. I certainly don't. *sigh*

And you know what? I climb the same climb where someone said I sounded like I was giving birth with a conscious effort not to make noises, and what did I do at the crux?

Fell.

dingus

Nov 24, 2008, 5:42 PM
Post #25 of 79 (8059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
And you know what? I climb the same climb where someone said I sounded like I was giving birth with a conscious effort not to make noises, and what did I do at the crux?

Fell.

Hi Monica!

DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook