notapplicable

Nov 29, 2008, 7:39 AM
Post #101 of 302 (6666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm watching Hurlyburly for a second time http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0119336/

Won't get to long winded on this one because its still on, just wanted to say that anybody who hasn't seen this really should. Its fall out of you chair funny and a real high point in Sean Penns career.

I love the fear and cynicism and mania and vanity and desperation of it all. All that and its one of the most infinitely quotable movies of all time.

"I'm not yelling...I'm raising my voice in emphasis which is a perfectly legitimate use of volume."

"Do you want to fuck me or anything before you go to sleep?

Nah.

Good, not that I don't want to, I'm just kinda sleepy.

OK, you want any valiums.

No.

OK, goodnight.

Night."

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Nov 29, 2008, 7:41 AM)

rockie

Nov 29, 2008, 8:21 AM
Post #102 of 302 (6661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [churningindawake] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoyed The Changeling.

It was moving, and very sad, about the loss of her son, whom she held out hope for, only to find he had died, and did many proud how he died, for he would have probably lived had he not returned to try and help another young boy escape, instead he got shot while trying to help that boy and himself escape.

I believe I cried. But then it was a true story and the true ones do it for me far more than any fictitious films do. But empathy does tend to come into it.

Partner angry

Nov 29, 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #103 of 302 (6648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not ever watch "Bridge to Tarabithia"

You'll fucking cry. Total bullshit.

notapplicable

Nov 29, 2008, 6:55 PM
Post #104 of 302 (6644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

As compared to the book or just as a movie considered on its own merits (or lack there of).

Partner angry

Nov 29, 2008, 7:29 PM
Post #105 of 302 (6639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
angry wrote:

As compared to the book or just as a movie considered on its own merits (or lack there of).

Taken as, "This is a cute movie, I'll watch it with some of my kid relatives"

Fail

notapplicable

Nov 29, 2008, 9:01 PM
Post #106 of 302 (6634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
angry wrote:

Taken as, "This is a cute movie, I'll watch it with some of my kid relatives"

Fail

Ah.

fatoomchk

Dec 1, 2008, 1:34 PM
Post #107 of 302 (6613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just picked up "The Children of Men" (2006) on DVD. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/

I fucking loved this film. IMO This is action movies as they should be made.

The plot is essentially a sci-fi classic - a disease has rendered human-kind unable to pro-create. It's a post apocalyptic drama that shows England as the enduring beacon of human society, when everything else in the world has fallen apart.

The plot is fairly basic, but centres around human drama painted within the setting described by the post apocalyptic human condition.

Clive Owen is the protagonist, delivering one of his best performances, and supported by a great cast including Michael Caine and Julianne Moore. Owen's life has fallen apart, and he takes on the role as reluctant hero.

The actual action scenes are few, and far between, but are remarkable for the reason that they are all shot in single takes, normally with a single camera in a long shot.

Because of the pacing and the plot, it's a little more cerebral than your typical action flick, and will have you thinking about it long after you've finished the film.

The "making of" on the DVD is pretty interesting too, as they go into a lot of detail about exactly how they produced the SFX.

sungam

Dec 1, 2008, 3:28 PM
Post #108 of 302 (6608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just watched Dr No.
Damn they made good movies for their times back then (it achally had a plot line! cool!)

rtwilli4

Dec 1, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #109 of 302 (6600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at home on the couch... all fucked up after a trip to the dentist. Just watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I've probably seen that movie a hundred times and every time I still love watching Phoebe Cates take her top off.

notapplicable

Dec 1, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #110 of 302 (6595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
at home on the couch... all fucked up after a trip to the dentist. Just watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I've probably seen that movie a hundred times and every time I still love watching Phoebe Cates take her top off.

Certainly a high point in what was otherwise a relative low point (the 80's) for all of the "arts" in America. Angelic

churningindawake

Dec 3, 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #111 of 302 (6573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

It made my little cousins sad. It's just something that happens in Disney movies. They always kill off one of the main characters.

Partner philbox

Dec 8, 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #112 of 302 (6534 views)
Shortcut

The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to see Australia. It was a rollicking good adventure yarn and the Oz scenery is awesome. Very funny moments in it as well. Baz Lurhman excelled in this one.

The little Aboriginal kid was just so funny. I'm sure that anyone watching this movie will have a Crocodile Dundee moment and want to head over to check out the outback.

Nicole Kidman's depiction of a proper straight laced English mam was great. Funny moment when she insisted that she could drove cattle like the best of men. She then proceeds to ride through the middle of the mob of cattle whilst say shoo shoo, raaaagh shoo.

She is gorgeous but definitely starting to show some hints of a few lines around her face. The X man dude costarring her by the name of Hugh Jackman also put in a stellar performance.

I thought that this movie was going to be a bit of a blackarmband view of history but mostly it turned out to not be so. The aboriginal actors were simply a delight and very charming.

I highly recommend this movie.

notapplicable

Dec 9, 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #113 of 302 (6527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That young kid really was great wasn't he, kinda stole the show. I'd like to see him picked up by another director or two over the next few years and see what he can do with some other roles.

limeydave

Dec 9, 2008, 3:41 PM
Post #114 of 302 (6510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's fun to stay at the G-H-E-Y

churningindawake

Dec 12, 2008, 3:59 AM
Post #115 of 302 (6491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not watch the movie Quarantine. It is a cheesy 'horror' movie. I had to stop because it was just terrible.

sungam

Dec 12, 2008, 4:12 AM
Post #116 of 302 (6485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
Do not watch the movie Quarantine. It is a cheesy 'horror' movie. I had to stop because it was just terrible.
Korekt.

churningindawake

Dec 17, 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #117 of 302 (6452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone seen 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'?

If so, how was it?
Was it worth seeing?

Partner j_ung

Dec 18, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #118 of 302 (6431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
Has anyone seen 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'?

If so, how was it?
Was it worth seeing?

Saw it last night. Not fantastic, but I definitely thought it was worth the price of admission.

Partner j_ung

Dec 18, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #119 of 302 (6430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a sci-fi jones, like I do, go see it.

churningindawake

Dec 18, 2008, 7:19 PM
Post #120 of 302 (6428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We were thinking of going to see it in an iMax. Seeing movies in iMax really boosts to the experience.

Thanks for letting me know Jay. Guess I will have to go see it.

sungam

Dec 19, 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #121 of 302 (6424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
We were thinking of going to see it in an iMax. Seeing movies in iMax really boosts to the experience.

Thanks for letting me know Jay. Guess I will have to go see it.
I reckon I'll give it a watch as well.

edge

Dec 19, 2008, 1:16 AM
Post #122 of 302 (6421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
angry wrote:

It made my little cousins sad. It's just something that happens in Disney movies. They always kill off one of the main characters.

At least that didn't happen to Bambi's father.

If you watch the director's cut version, you will find out that he was only tranquilized, and is now happily residing on a preserve in upstate New York.

His revisionist history of the Bambi story, co-written with Sly Stallone, is expected to gross $16 or more...

edge

Dec 19, 2008, 3:08 AM
Post #123 of 302 (6410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, so I just can't help but be a normal (sorta) human being, and I am inundated with ads for Jim Carrey in "Yes". I mean, Jeebus, ads are all over TV Land.

Forgive me, all you Ace Ventura fans, but I expect you have hit puberty, or are at least proficient with training pants by now. If not, that is OK, it is not your fault.

However, for the restivus, why exactly is this guy considered funny? Really?

I personally think he creeped out an entire nation of Dr Suess fans with his caricature of a caricature of a grinch. Personifying what some would call an American Icon (nope, not me) is like serving tomato based clam chowder in Boston; you just don't friggen do it.

And now I cannot go 15 minutes without being subjected to ads for this stupid a$$ movie.

If it is funny, groundbreaking, or even remotely cute, then word of mouth is the best advertising. I personally don't see that happening here on any account.

Partner macherry

Dec 19, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #124 of 302 (6405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
OK, so I just can't help but be a normal (sorta) human being, and I am inundated with ads for Jim Carrey in "Yes". I mean, Jeebus, ads are all over TV Land.

Forgive me, all you Ace Ventura fans, but I expect you have hit puberty, or are at least proficient with training pants by now. If not, that is OK, it is not your fault.

I personally think he creeped out an entire nation of Dr Suess fans with his caricature of a caricature of a grinch. Personifying what some would call an American Icon (nope, not me) is like serving tomato based clam chowder in Boston; you just don't friggen do it.

And now I cannot go 15 minutes without being subjected to ads for this stupid a$$ movie.

If it is funny, groundbreaking, or even remotely cute, then word of mouth is the best advertising. I personally don't see that happening here on any account.

this is correct.........his new movie yes, seems to be a rehashed version of liar liar. i've never been a jim carrey fan.

notapplicable

Dec 19, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #125 of 302 (6399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Your watching the wrong Jim Carry movies, you should try The Truman Show and Man On The Moon.

Aside from Dumb and Dumber, which owes most of its hilarity to the Farrelly brothers skill as directors, Jim Carry's brand of humor is not all that funny so in considering his merits as an actor, just put those aside for a second.

Where he really shines are in the more serious and traditional roles.

The Truman Show - Carry seemed an odd lead for a Peter Weir (Witness, Dead Poets Society, etc.) movie but Carry possesses an innocence and emotional candor that made him perfect for the role. A great movie in the more traditional sense but also entertaining.

Man On The Moon - IMO Carry's bet performance to date and a fine tribute to one of TVs most eccentric characters. Again, he pairs with a world class production team lead by Milos Forman (Amadeus, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest) and his performance is sincere, intelligent, funny and melancholic.

Bruce Almighty - A much more subdued Carry but also much funnier than movies like Liar, Liar. Less mania and more thought and emotion.

The Number 23 - A role that could have been played by several other actors but one that again benefited from Carry's own experience in trying preserve that "child inside". I remember watching an interview with him shortly after this came out and he talked about being at the end of a period of depression and uncertainty when he did this movie. It helped him work through some of that darkness. Not a really stand out performance but a strong one.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook