RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Dec 10, 2008, 5:44 PM
Post #1 of 5 (921 views)
Shortcut

Rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis
A study in the US has found there is no greater risk of osteoarthritis in rock climbers compared to non climbers, contrary to previous theory.

The study, published in the November issue of Journal of Anatomy, examined osteological changes in the hands and fingers of rock climbers that result from intense, long-term mechanical stress placed on these bones. Specifically, whether rock climbing leads to increased cortical bone thickness and joint changes associated with osteoarthritis. Researchers also wanted to identify whether climbing intensity and frequency of different styles of climbing influence changes.

Adam Sylvester of the University of Tennessee explains: "Radiographs of both hands were taken for each participant and were scored for radiographic signs of osteoarthritis using an atlas method. We compared 27 recreational rock climbers and 35 non-climbers for four measures of bone strength and dimensions and osteoarthritis. The results suggest that climbers are not at an increased risk of developing osteoarthritis compared with non-climbers.

Climber's finger and hand bones are, however, greater in cross-sectional area and total width, indicating that additional bone is being deposited on the external surface, not usually seen in adults. The strength of the finger and hand bones are correlated with styles of climbing that emphasize athletic difficulty. Significant predictors include the highest levels achieved in bouldering and sport climbing."

The research paper can be read online at www.journalofanatomy.com.

mikeboomer12

Dec 10, 2008, 5:54 PM
Post #2 of 5 (898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for posting this, I have a condition that makes me susceptible to arthritis, I've always been worried. That's nice to here.

onceahardman

Dec 10, 2008, 5:59 PM
Post #3 of 5 (889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it sounds great, I'd love to read the article...

BUT:

here is the table of contents from Nov 2008:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121495980/issue

there is no such article in November, or October, or December. If you can find the article, please post the link.

roy_hinkley_jr

Dec 10, 2008, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 5 (876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/118559744/PDFSTART

onceahardman

Dec 10, 2008, 6:20 PM
Post #5 of 5 (849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clicky. Thank you! Hey, I still didn't see it in the table of contents. Where did you find it? (or did I just screw up?)

At first glance, it looks good. I would have liked them to have the measurers blinded. as to whether the X-rays belonged to climbers or not.

I did like that they took care to test intra-tester reliability. INTER-tester reliability should have also been assessed (if applicable-they didn't say how many researchers did measurements.)

Interesting (and perhaps counterintuitive) that climbers had less finger OA than non-climbers.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook