RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

trekkergirl

Dec 24, 2008, 8:50 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2415 views)
Shortcut

fitness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

well,i am a very average climber...have done mountaineering courses in the himalayas..but i dont get to boulder or practice the techniques on a regular basis...so i was wondering about ways of keeping myself fit in these in-between times..i jog 2.5km five days/week n 20-25 push ups every alternate day..but i dont know whether this much is tooo less or sufficient or whether i need a change of exercise.. looking forward to suggestions as to what and how much of exercise should be undertaken....thank you.

roy_hinkley_jr

Dec 24, 2008, 5:20 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trekkergirl] fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a very minimal program, better than nothing but not enough for fitness gains. Try running instead of jogging and throw in some extra km a couple days and some hills on others (if available). Lifting weights will get you better gains than body weight exercises and the mixing up the routine is important. See if you can find a book over there called Climbing: Training for Peak Performance (there's a new edition out) and look at www.mtnathlete.com for ideas.

monkeychild

Dec 24, 2008, 5:34 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try running rather than jogging. I would run longer than 2.5km.

Also, you may want to try some core workouts. If you don't know what bicycle crunches are, that might be something to look up. I think there are some pretty good examples on youtube.

Stretch.

Pullups.... if you have something to do them on.

mountainjunkie

Dec 24, 2008, 5:53 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [monkeychild] fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this might sound hokey and I was a little apprehensive as well with T.V. wrk outs but try P90X. It is based on muscle confusion it incorporates a full body workout with yoga, plyometrics, and core training, it's intense but I'm into my 5th week now and the gains have been remarkable. before I started I was red pointing with an occasional on site at 11a and after the first four weeks of this work out in. I'm at redpointing 12a with an occasional 11c/d on site, and hitting 10+ trad! I would suggest this workout to any climber I think it fitts our needs in fitness perfectly.

Joe Garcia

jman

Dec 24, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found mountaineering to be more an endurance fest than anything else. I'd run for distance or time, not necessarily worrying too much about speed.

bodyresults

Dec 24, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainjunkie] fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can find a bunch of training articles for rock climbing on my site at http://www.bodyresults.com/s1climbing.asp. Let me know what you think.

Doug

goodman

Dec 24, 2008, 9:51 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.climb-fit.com/ - talk to these folks, also look for Eric Horst training tips online..

(This post was edited by goodman on Dec 24, 2008, 9:55 PM)

trekkergirl

Dec 25, 2008, 9:43 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [monkeychild] fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey thank you guys!i had an idea that what i was doing was too less..but hearing it out from others can motivate one much effectively..thanks for recommending the websites..i guess,for now,as i dont have any specific climbing plans,i'll concentrate on running over greater distances and joining a gym for working on core muscles..n yes,i do have a single bar installed in my place.but my arms arent strong enough for even a single pull up..hopefully, some months later,situation would be better..

gobirdgo

Jan 9, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mtnathlete.com is the Definitive place to go for info on training for mountaineering. Mark Twight's gymjones is good too, but a bit over the top for most mortals. Overall body conditioning, olympic strength lifts, and long endurance sessions are the key.

DoubleChin

Jan 9, 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jman wrote:
I've found mountaineering to be more an endurance fest than anything else. I'd run for distance or time, not necessarily worrying too much about speed.

Agreed

overlord

Feb 2, 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DoubleChin] fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DoubleChin wrote:
jman wrote:

Agreed

i 3rd thatTongue

as for running, 2.5 km is probably insufficient to really accomplish anything. you're probably done with that in less than 15min, which is about the time needed for your muscles to warm up. in order to train your endurance, you should excercise for at least 45min. the distance is not relevant here, just the correct heart rate and duration.

blurricus

Feb 2, 2009, 3:17 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think 45 minutes is enough. I would recommend either running 26.2 miles, or running for 4 hours. Either one will train your endurance very well.

In all seriousness, an hour is good. I suggest doing endurance days on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (Friday take it nice and slow), and doing speed workouts on Tuesday and Thursday. This will train your endurance and also help keep your fast-twitch really active. Try to keep your long distance days to at least an hour of running, or at least 3-5 miles depending on your level. Don't push yourself too hard. Focus on running a certain amount of time first, like running for an hour straight.

Use cardio machines only if the temperature outside is below -10 deg. F. But in those cases, just go to your local pool and substitute swimming for running.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook