Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner hosh

Jan 2, 2009, 8:34 PM
Post #1 of 45 (5381 views)
Shortcut

New sizes of link cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone gotten their hands on these yet? They sure look nice... I'm talking specifically about the purple and the green.

hosh.

Lazlo

Jan 2, 2009, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 45 (5374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They sure look nice. I wouldn't mind having a set.

Factor2

Jan 2, 2009, 9:19 PM
Post #3 of 45 (5351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've played around with some at EMS. They certainly feel nice. I think the purple is the smallest one? Whichever it is, it goes scary small Tongue

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 2, 2009, 9:25 PM
Post #4 of 45 (5342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you care, it's not like you'll ever be able to use them on the frozen tundra up there. Ha! Tongue

I'll call you and tell you how I like mine when I get them. I'm sure they will come in handy at the Towers.

shoo

Jan 2, 2009, 9:30 PM
Post #5 of 45 (5335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a little confused here. The specs for the .5 and the .75 (purple and green) say they have the exact same range. Is this right?

http://www.omegapac.com/product202.html

http://www.omegapac.com/product203.html

keep_it_real

Jan 2, 2009, 9:47 PM
Post #6 of 45 (5314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This http://www.omegapac.com/...oducts_linkcams.html is more accurate.

Just scroll down a little

Not sure what's up with the two links you gave.

(This post was edited by keep_it_real on Jan 2, 2009, 9:50 PM)

USnavy

Jan 3, 2009, 7:06 AM
Post #7 of 45 (5214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keep_it_real] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I own all four sizes. I don’t like the purple one (smallest). The issue with the purple one is that the amount of distance between the lobes and trigger is not large enough when the cam is in its smallest position. With the larger cams (yellow and red sizes) the crack is large enough for the trigger to go into the crack allowing you to place the cam far back into the crack pointing straight down. With the purple one you are not able to fit the large ass trigger into the crack so you have to compromise with cam depth and the angle in which the cam points in vertical cracks. On overhangs or horizontal cracks this problem does not really exist. But in vertical cracks its a PITA to get the cam far enough back into the rock and still keep the cam pointed down without the trigger levering itself against the rock opening the lobes.

USnavy

Jan 3, 2009, 7:10 AM
Post #8 of 45 (5210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
I'm a little confused here. The specs for the .5 and the .75 (purple and green) say they have the exact same range. Is this right?

http://www.omegapac.com/product202.html

http://www.omegapac.com/product203.html
No. The purple one is about 15% smaller then the green one. They still overlap a lot though.

caliclimbergrl

Jan 3, 2009, 7:22 AM
Post #9 of 45 (5204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I the only one that doesn't like these cams? I had the biggest one (#2 size) for a while, but after a bit of experience with it, I sold it, bought a BD #3 to replace it on my rack and never looked back.

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 3, 2009, 7:48 AM
Post #10 of 45 (5200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The BD 2 is closest in size to the link 2. The BD 3 is the next size up.

caliclimbergrl

Jan 3, 2009, 7:49 AM
Post #11 of 45 (5197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinginchico] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Opps -- that was a typo. I meant I bought a new #2!

Maddhatter

Jan 3, 2009, 7:16 PM
Post #12 of 45 (5079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I own all four sizes. I don’t like the purple one (smallest). The issue with the purple one is that the amount of distance between the lobes and trigger is not large enough when the cam is in its smallest position. With the larger cams (yellow and red sizes) the crack is large enough for the trigger to go into the crack allowing you to place the cam far back into the crack pointing straight down. With the purple one you are not able to fit the large ass trigger into the crack so you have to compromise with cam depth and the angle in which the cam points in vertical cracks. On overhangs or horizontal cracks this problem does not really exist. But in vertical cracks its a PITA to get the cam far enough back into the rock and still keep the cam pointed down without the trigger levering itself against the rock opening the lobes.

Yep, That would suck. How is it for pin scars?

USnavy

Jan 4, 2009, 7:07 AM
Post #13 of 45 (5015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Not sure, I have never placed one in a pin scar. I am thinking its too large for one though.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jan 4, 2009, 7:10 AM)

Lazlo

Jan 4, 2009, 9:51 AM
Post #14 of 45 (4979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Not sure, I have never placed one in a pin scar. I am thinking its too large for one though.

I imagine that Link Cams are at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to pin scars...just a guess.

Partner hosh

Jan 5, 2009, 1:43 AM
Post #15 of 45 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinginchico wrote:
What do you care, it's not like you'll ever be able to use them on the frozen tundra up there. Ha! Tongue

I'll call you and tell you how I like mine when I get them. I'm sure they will come in handy at the Towers.

Hey, just because it's frozen and my wife is pregnant (it's her birthday today, by the way!), doesn't mean I don't need more trad gear...!

hosh.

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 5, 2009, 2:27 AM
Post #16 of 45 (4897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's right, spoken like a fellow gear whore. I think the .75 link is next on my list. I need a fourth cam in that size, after all. Then maybe the .5 to round out the link set.

tradrenn

Jan 5, 2009, 4:49 AM
Post #17 of 45 (4845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't like these cams?

I'm with you on that one, I rather take 3 placements than 1, but they might be awesome for IC, I dunno, I haven't been there yet.

What do you people think of using Link Cams at IC ?
Is anybody using them at IC ?

spikeddem

Jan 5, 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #18 of 45 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinginchico wrote:
That's right, spoken like a fellow gear whore. I think the .75 link is next on my list. I need a fourth cam in that size, after all. Then maybe the .5 to round out the link set.

Have you forgotten doubles??

USnavy

Jan 5, 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #19 of 45 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:

I imagine that Link Cams are at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to pin scars...just a guess.

Ya maybe. The only scar I have seen was very small and would not accept a Max Link cam. But I know most are larger and larger scars would probably take a purple or green one. They have the ability to sit well in flaring cracks due to their high expansion range. But I don’t really know how well they hold a fall in a flaring crack for I generally don’t place them in flaring cracks. Wink

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jan 5, 2009, 11:08 AM)

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 5, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #20 of 45 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No. I already have at least triples of every other size in other cams. But I will probably end up with a double set of links. .75 is the only size I have only 3 of (orange alien, .75 c4 camalot and a .75 max cam) so I need the fourth in that size. It's imperative that I have four of every size.

caliclimbergrl

Jan 5, 2009, 5:10 PM
Post #21 of 45 (4742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't used them at IC (because I still haven't managed to make it out there -- tragic huh?), but I don't like them in splitters in general, so I don't imagine I'd change my mind with IC splitters. Actually, the only thing I think they would be good for would be gear anchors when you don't know what size piece to save for the anchors. But since that was the only thing I found them useful for, I got rid of mine.

brutusofwyde

Jan 19, 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #22 of 45 (4531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have doubles of the purple and green. Used them on several road trips so far.

They have pretty much replaced the 0.5 and 0.75 camalots on my rack. Bigger range and lighter. Not as strong as the larger of the camalots whose range they fit, but just as strong as the smaller end camalots (0.5 link cam fits cracks down to -- what -- 0.3 camalot?)

Not good for pin scars. Hybrid Aliens and HB offsets still rule the roost there.

Brutus

spikeddem

Jan 19, 2009, 1:10 AM
Post #23 of 45 (4506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brutusofwyde] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brutusofwyde wrote:
I have doubles of the purple and green. Used them on several road trips so far.

They have pretty much replaced the 0.5 and 0.75 camalots on my rack. Bigger range and lighter. Not as strong as the larger of the camalots whose range they fit, but just as strong as the smaller end camalots (0.5 link cam fits cracks down to -- what -- 0.3 camalot?)

Not good for pin scars. Hybrid Aliens and HB offsets still rule the roost there.

Brutus

The link cams are LIGHTER than the camalots?

brutusofwyde

Jan 19, 2009, 1:48 AM
Post #24 of 45 (4494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BD 0.5 C4 97g
OP 0.5 Linkcam 95g

BD 0.75 C4 116g
OP 0.75 Linkcam 113g

Source: OP and BD websites

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 19, 2009, 4:07 AM
Post #25 of 45 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brutusofwyde] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Brutus, do you have any issues with the trigger on the .5 link catching in cracks? I've read it can be an issue. Is it annoying or anything?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook