RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

charley

Jan 18, 2009, 4:46 AM
Post #1 of 2 (925 views)
Shortcut

short winter trip to north carolina
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had been thinking about going to nc. and doing some climbing and watching a steeler playoff game with my brother when I saw that a trail day was being held at pilot mountain on 1/10/09. That made up my mind. I left thursday morning 1/8/09. I spent friday morning in the library in Mount Airy "home" of Andy Griffith. I checked and sent emails. When it warmed up some I went up to pilot mnt. I took my pack with stuff to top rope solo an easy climb. I saw some boulders that looked interesting so I went to check them out. I spent some time getting my butt handed to me and after awhile decided it was cold and went back to my car. I sat in the car and ate and got warm. I thought this is really warm out of the wind with sun shining through the windows. I decided to take just my shoes and go down to goldilocks and the three bears and climb around. I went down and although it was still cold out in the wind, I had a great time just climbing up and down and back and forth on those walls. I then drug my tired old butt back up the trail.
The next morning I was in the parking lot early to help with the trail day. I met alot of local climbers including some that hang out here. I was on the crew that was moving brush onto the ends of a trail to close part of it off. It was still a cold day in the wind. Some folks were going to set up some top ropes but I wimped out and after lots of BS, I decided to head to my brothers and drink some beer.
We had a spicy spaghetti dinner and sat up til the wee hours drinking beer and catching up. We went to chili's in Chapel hill on sunday and watched the steelers beat San Diego. We set up late drinking beer and talking again. I did get a walk in and found my knees and legs quite sore.
I got up on tuesday and after breakfast drove to asheboro boulders. I walked up the hill and looked around at the rock. I played on some slabby stuff, then some cracks, and then a bit of face climbing. Some of the rock was very sharp. Then I saw another climber. I could tell cause he had a crash pad.Wink We talked a bit and he showed me some problems and we walked around his circuit, I got on some of the easier stuff. Some things were just way too hard to even try. I did some and got had on some. I was tired and had had a good day climbing so I left and drove back to my brothers. The next day we loafed.
The day after that I drove up to roxboro. I pulled off the road and saw a truck that looked familiar. I walked up the long hill to the rocks and saw the climber I had met the other day. He showed me around a bit but had to leave. I walked around and climbed up on this climb and that climb. I scrambled up to the top of the main dome and saw the marker and the view. I had another good day climbing some new rock. When I got back to my brothers he was just putting the chicken in. We had a beer or two and then I showered while dinner cooked. We then had great chicken, parsley redskin potatoes, broccli, and carrots. Aaahhh good. We then drank more beer and talked into the night because we knew we were just wasting the next day. It was only zero at home so I was waiting a day to go home. We also lost phone and internet because of the cold in nc. We bought groceries and things and drank and talked some more. I got to spend some good time with my brother and climb three days at three different places in the winter. Two of these I had never been to before.
I got up early saturday morning 1/17/09 and drove 550 miles home to my wife and snow and cold. It is warmer than zero though. I had a great visit to north carolina again.

(This post was edited by charley on Jan 20, 2009, 2:53 AM)

seanpmccormick

Jan 18, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 2 (892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] short winter trip to north carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Charlie,

Maybe I met you at the trail clean up, can't remember. I showed up a bit late with my dad and we helped move the brush on the trails. Anways...

I can verify everything Charlie said. I'm only in Greensboro for a month or two and the climbing is a lot of fun. It's just warm enough to get some great days in and the people are beyond friendly. Nice place, nice scene.

Sean

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook